Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Reilly, 6th Royal Scots Fusilers

todhod

My Great  grandfather was killed in action in WW1 he is buried in a  war grave in France 

6th battalion royal scots fusiliers   no 14812 born 1877 died 1.09.15 any more information would be appreciated. Actual d.o.b marriage etc and if any medals or army records thankyou 

Screenshot_20240223_124033_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_123905_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_103350_Facebook.jpg

• Michelle Young changed the title to John Reilly, 6th Royal Scots Fusilers
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. As he’s buried at Lillers, which is some way behind the front line, and was a medical facility, I would say he died of wounds rather than killed in action. It shows his date of entry into France and shows his medal entitlement. 
This is borne out from his medal index card attached ©️ Ancestry

IMG_1003.jpeg

His Medal Index Card shows that he entered Theatre of War (France) on the 11/5/.1915 and was awarded the 1914/15 Star Medal, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Reilly_14812.jpg

• Admin

Here’s a link to the war diaries which will give you day to day happenings. He’s very unlikely to be mentioned by name. I would look maybe a day or two before 1/9/15 which could be the day he was wounded. 
Diaries are free to download after you register, also free.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352546

His entry in the Soldiers Died in the Great War database shows that he was born in Derry, Co. Donegal. He enlisted at Glasgow and he was living at South Side, Glasgow.

Meant to add that under 'Cause of Death' is Died of wounds -- confirming Michelle's thoughts in her first post.

Edited by Allan1892

Thank you yeah someone mentioned died of gunshot wounds, I thought it was KIA but obviously he got to a medical centre thank you

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Here’s a link to the war diaries which will give you say to day happenings. He’s very unlikely to be mentioned by name. I would look maybe a day or two before 1/9/15 which could be the day he was wounded. 
Diaries are free to download after you register, also free.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352546

Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

His entry in the Soldiers Died in the Great War database shows that he was born in Derry, Co. Donegal. He enlisted at Glasgow and he was living at South Side, Glasgow.

Sounds right, thought it was Donegal but that's a great help thank you

9 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

His Medal Index Card shows that he entered Theatre of War (France) on the 11/5/.1915 and was awarded the 1914/15 Star Medal, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Reilly_14812.jpg

OMG this is amazing, I really appreciate your effort and information thank you so much, survived over 3 months that's quite unusual I think so so sad the amount of young men that sacrificed their lives 

• Admin

I’ve just had a  look at the war diaries. The writing is hard even for me to read (I’m used to reading doctors writing!) but it looks like the enemy opened rapid fire causing several casualties at 10 am on 29/08/15. That could be when John was wounded. 

• Admin

Looking at the war diary, it look as though they actually landed in France (Boulogne) at 01.30 on the 12th May. 

Born 15th February 1880 according to the dependant pension.  Did find a possible match for a bith certificate for the 25th feb.  Do you know who ur gggrand parents were? Names on this are Michael and Mary. No definite trace on the irish census matching for definate so could have been in scotland by the 1901.

Dependant pension shows 6 children, and i think the correct address is Brown Street.

image courtesy of FWR and WFA

Reilly, John (14812) dependant pension.jpg

reilly john 2057218.pdf

Edited by Dirty Harry
add bc

Thank you that is my granny's d.o.b 26.01.1905 I don't know any other details but really appreciate your help thankyou 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Dirty Harry said:

Born 15th February 1880 according to the dependant pension

The DOB on the pension cards is that of the NOK, and DEAD means the pension claim is now dead, not the individual. 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The DOB on the pension cards is that of the NOK, and DEAD means the pension claim is now dead, not the individual. 

i didnt know that !

birth certificate is entirely wrong then

Edited by Dirty Harry

7 hours ago, todhod said:

Actual d.o.b marriage etc and if any medals or army records thankyou

The date of birth of his oldest child suggests a marriage sometime in the early 1900's, and a search on ScotlandsPeople produces several possibilities. Given the address on the pension index card the most likely one is this marriage in Hutchesontown in 1900.

REILLY    JOHN    GALLACHER    CATHERINE    1900    644 / 11 / 249    Hutchesontown

Crosschecking Catherine's maiden name of Gallacher against the names and birth years of the children listed on the pension index card then produces the following birth registrations in Hutchesontown:

REILLY    CATHERINE JANE    GALLACHER    F    1905    644 / 11 / 303    Hutchesontown

REILLY    ELIZABETH    GALLACHER    F    1907    644 / 15 / 549    Hutchesontown

REILLY    JAMES    GALLAGHER    M    1909    644 / 15 / 940    Hutchesontown

REILLY    ANNIE    GALLACHER    F    1911    644 / 15 / 1707    Hutchesontown

REILLY    JOHN    GALLACHER    M    1913    644 / 15 / 1514    Hutchesontown

The birth of their first child, Michael, was registered in the Gorbals, which is the registration district immediately adjacent to Hutchesontown, but the children's birth registrations would all confirm that the 1900 marriage found above is the correct one. I would also note that Google Maps places Crown Street firmly within the Gorbals.

REILLY    MICHAEL    GALLACHER    M    1903    644 / 12 / 247    Gorbals

I am not having a great deal of joy finding the family in the 1911 Scotland census to confirm John senior's age, but the marriage registration should tell you both his age on marriage, as well as naming his parents and whether they were still alive or not at the time he was married.

Edited to add that I think this is John and Catherine living in Hutchesontown in the 1901 Scotland census, with his age given as 24, so an implied birth year of 1876/77.

REILLY JOHN 1901 M 24 644/11 13/ 26 Hutchesontown Lanark
REILLY CATHERINE 1901 F 21 644/11 13/ 26 Hutchesontown Lanark
Edited by Tawhiri

Really can't believe how much information everyone is providing I really really appreciate all your input thanks again 

Finally found the family in the 1911 Scotland census, their surname was spelled as Riley, rather than Reilly. John senior's age is now given as 36, which pushes his implied date of birth back to 1874/75.

RILEY JOHN 1911 M 36 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY CATHERINE 1911 F 31 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY MICHAEL 1911 M 8 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY CATHERINE 1911 F 6 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY ELIZABETH 1911 F 4 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY JAMES 1911 M 2 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark

Going back to the 1891 Scotland census there is a 14-year old John Riley, so the right age, living with a rather large family in Hutchesontown, so the right location. His parents appear to be John and Bridget Riley, but cross-checking the names of the children with birth registrations shows that all the children's births were registered in Hutchesontown, so this doesn't appear to be your John Reilly/Riley if he was born in Ireland. I think the best way of moving forward and identifying his parents would be to obtain a copy of his 1900 marriage registration to Catherine Gallacher from ScotlandsPeople, as this information should be recorded on the form. 

Edited by Tawhiri

Belfast Weekly News. 25/09/1915. Private John Reilly, 6th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers, who died from wounds in France on 1st September, was a time-expired soldier of the Inniskilling Dragoons, when he enlisted last November. Private Reilly, who was 38 years of age, leaves a widow and six young children, who reside at 120, South Wellington Street, Glasgow.

Yes indeed.

17 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Finally found the family in the 1911 Scotland census, their surname was spelled as Riley, rather than Reilly. John senior's age is now given as 36, which pushes his implied date of birth back to 1874/75.

RILEY JOHN 1911 M 36 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY CATHERINE 1911 F 31 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY MICHAEL 1911 M 8 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY CATHERINE 1911 F 6 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY ELIZABETH 1911 F 4 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark
RILEY JAMES 1911 M 2 644/15 30/ 15 Hutchesontown Lanark

I think he was born 19.04.1876 in Grange Burt Donegal, Ireland 

I think his father is James, and mother Jane Humes

16 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Going back to the 1891 Scotland census there is a 14-year old John Riley, so the right age, living with a rather large family in Hutchesontown, so the right location. His parents appear to be John and Bridget Riley, but cross-checking the names of the children with birth registrations shows that all the children's births were registered in Hutchesontown, so this doesn't appear to be your John Reilly/Riley if he was born in Ireland. I think the best way of moving forward and identifying his parents would be to obtain a copy of his 1900 marriage registration to Catherine Gallacher from ScotlandsPeople, as this information should be recorded on the form. 

Screenshot_20240224_114144_Chrome.jpg