Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Hector Henry Cook RMA/14813 (214813)

TomP

@Keith_history_buff Yes absolutely, I feel like I have sort of got to grips with the Army's rules for entitlement and nature of their records etc, the Naval stuff is completely new to me! Hence why it is so amazing to have such helpful members of the forum assisting me along! Thanks again :)

2 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

From a medal entitlement perspective, I would consider 31 October 1916 to be his first day of Active Service, as per the Admiralty rules.

I disagree.

"Active service" began on the day a man's engagement started (23 November 1915 in this case - not 25 Nov 15 as in the timeline above), or on the day a man was mobilised. This date is the start of the 30 days that would have been required for his British War Medal had he not later received a sea draft in WW1.

The foregoing is different to the "Embarked Active Service" required for his Victory Medal. Gunner COOK qualified for this when he joined his first sea draft in ROYAL SOVEREIGN on 2 January 1917. No period of embarked time beyond one day is specified. The Victory Medal automatically qualified him for the BWM.

In brief, a man under training ashore was on Active Service.

If this is the case, can you provide examples of men who enlisted, were undertaking training and were discharged after about 6 weeks - but a minimum of 28 days - on a day prior to 31 December 1915, and were in receipt of the British War Medal?

I see the qualification is based on 'mobilised service' and not a defined active service

Commonwealth Naval Order 111 of 1920
BRITISH WAR MEDAL—AWARD TO BOYS UNDER TRAINING IN H.M.A.S. “TINGIRA.”

With reference to Navy Order No. 108 107/1920 and Admiralty Weekly Order No. 720/1920, Boys who were under training in H.M.A.S. Tingira for 28 days or more, prior to 12th November, 1918, will be regarded as eligible for the British War Medal, provided their claim for this Decoration is not subsequently forfeited through desertion, &c., under clause 4 of Admiralty Weekly Order No. 3973/1919.

What significance does 31 December 1915 have w.r.t. the BWM?  It was the end-date for the 1914-15 Star.

The Admiralty granted the issue of the British War Medal to all ranks who had completed 28 days' active/mobilised service between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918. 

That said, I offer the following example of an RNVR rating of he RND:  Able Seaman Andrew BUCK ZX/26 enlisted 22 August 1914 and was discharged dead on 21 September 1914 after 31 days active service undergoing initial RND training. He was awarded the BWM (unclaimed).

He was newly-enlisted RNVR - not a mobilised rating.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you for taking the time to have read the question, and to have provided an answer.