Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Crockson Suffolk / Middlesex Regiments

Gillian Crockson

Again thank you for the information. That would be amazing to see another uniform. I’ll be going to the library Monday. 

1 hour ago, RussT said:

Perhaps Frogsmile might be able to find a representative image of his attire - scarlet/yellow facings.

Russ

Here’s the uniform described, a big change from the old grey.  By that stage only the officers and warrant officers were provided with helmets.  The men had just the peaked forage caps instead (see lowermost photo of Cambridgeshire Regiment soldier as example of this difference in headdress). 

IMG_2432.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2435.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2438.jpeg

IMG_2439.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you. Once again you’ve come up trumps. The uniforms look incredibly smart, I wasn’t expecting that. I now have so much information I need to collate. I can now pass on to my sons a full picture of their Great Grandfather’s army career. Many thanks. 

Gillian

48 minutes ago, Gillian Crockson said:

Thank you. Once again you’ve come up trumps. The uniforms look incredibly smart, I wasn’t expecting that. I now have so much information I need to collate. I can now pass on to my sons a full picture of their Great Grandfather’s army career. Many thanks. 

Gillian

It’s a pity we can’t find out more about what he did during WW1 with the Middlesex Regiment, Gillian, which we’ve lgnored in favour of his VB and TF service with the Suffolks.  The fact that he served throughout the war with a regular infantry battalion is I think a testament to the regard in which he must have been held.  He’d already earned the TFEM even before the war and so although a part-timer, he had some years of experience attending fortnight long annual training camps, and weekly sessions at the local drill station.

To survive the entire war without a scratch is unusual and suggests to me that he was probably employed in a relatively protected role as a storeman (the more probable) or perhaps as a clerk if he was both numerate and literate.  This is not to take anything away from his achievements, it’s just not really credible that he could have survived so long if he were continually with a service company in the most forward trenches with the 1st line element [bulk] of the battalion.

There was also a 2nd line, where the transport and cooks were located within a short March to the rear, and out of direct fire range.  Back further still a 3rd line, where the orderly room and battalion’s rear headquarters was located with the administrative rump.

My guess is that he was probably employed in one or other of these latter areas.  These were important roles and no battalion could function without them.  Steady and experienced men were required, often a little older than the average.

From the wartime memories project: “4th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) was based in Devonport with 8th Brigade, 3rd Division when war broke out in August 1914. They proceeded to France on the 14th of August 1914 landing at Boulogne.

They saw action in The Battle of Mons and the rearguard action at Solesmes, The Battle of Le Cateau, The Battle of the Marne, The Battle of the Aisne, at La Bassee, Messines and the First Battle of Ypres. They took part in the Winter Operations of 1914-15, The First Attack on Bellewaarde and the Actions at Hooge.

On the 14th of November 1915 they transferred to 63rd Brigade in 21st Division.

In 1916 they were in action at the Battle of The Somme, on the 8th of July 1916 they moved with the Brigade to 37th Division. They went into action in The Battle of the Ancre.

In 1917 they fought in The First Battle of the Scarpe, including the capture of Monchy-le-Preux, The Second Battle of the Scarpe and The Battle of Arleux. They were in action during the Third Battles of Ypres.

In 1918 They were in action on the Somme, in the Battles of the Hindenburg Line and the Final Advance in Picardy. At the Armistice the Division was in the area of Le Quesnoy. Demobilisation began on Boxing Day 1918 and was complete by 25 March 1919.”

See also:

https://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/battalion.php?pid=6698

IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Whilst his Service Record for his time in the Middlesex Regiment has a reasonable number of pages in it, there isn't really anything in it that can be gleaned on what he personally got up to.

As mentioned previously, the War Diary for the 4th Bn will give you the general picture - and you never know, he might get a mention (but don't build your hopes up!)

His B103 Casualty - Active Service Form reveals he never spent a single moment in any medical facility - so he was neither wounded nor sick on any occasion - quite remarkable. A combination probably of being fit/healthy, lucky and perhaps circumstance (as per Frogsmile's suggestion). Normally a B103 would have numerous entries recorded on it - often multiple pages long.

There are no Pension Index Cards for him so that's another indication he finally left the army in decent condition.

It shows he enjoyed two periods of leave back to the UK: 25/07/1917 to 04/08/1917 & 20/03/1918 - 03/04/1918.

There is a death certificate for his son Ernest who died 12 months old on 20/10/1915 - so it looks like he didn't get back for the funeral - but at least he must have known him as William first went overseas in January 1915.

His Regimental Conduct sheet records just one minor incident - absent from Tattoo between 25th and 29th December 1914. He punishment was being confined to barracks for 7 days and being fined 10 days pay. It seems this absence meant he missed a draft on 27th December. He nevertheless went shortly afterwards on 11/01/1915 as per his MIC/Medal Roll A Christmas break with his family and near new born (perhaps sickly) and his other children was perhaps trying - I can imagine 1000s of other likewise being absent from barracks over the Christmas period.

Regards

Russ

1 minute ago, RussT said:

Whilst his Service Record for his time in the Middlesex Regiment has a reasonable number of pages in it, there isn't really anything in it that can be gleaned on what he personally got up to.

As mentioned previously, the War Diary for the 4th Bn will give you the general picture - and you never know, he might get a mention (but don't build your hopes up!)

His B103 Casualty - Active Service Form reveals he never spent a single moment in any medical facility - so he was neither wounded nor sick on any occasion - quite remarkable. A combination probably of being fit/healthy, lucky and perhaps circumstance (as per Frogsmile's suggestion). Normally a B103 would have numerous entries recorded on it - often multiple pages long.

There are no Pension Index Cards for him so that's another indication he finally left the army in decent condition.

It shows he enjoyed two periods of leave back to the UK: 25/07/1917 to 04/08/1917 & 20/03/1918 - 03/04/1918.

There is a death certificate for his son Ernest who died 12 months old on 20/10/1915 - so it looks like he didn't get back for the funeral - but at least he must have known him as William first went overseas in January 1915.

His Regimental Conduct sheet records just one minor incident - absent from Tattoo between 25th and 29th December 1914. He punishment was being confined to barracks for 7 days and being fined 10 days pay. It seems this absence meant he missed a draft on 27th December. He nevertheless went shortly afterwards on 11/01/1915 as per his MIC/Medal Roll A Christmas break with his family and near new born (perhaps sickly) and his other children was perhaps trying - I can imagine 1000s of other likewise being absent from barracks over the Christmas period.

Regards

Russ

Thank you Russ, his extraordinary medical record confirms my thoughts as to his likely employment.  At the time of his WW1 enlistment he was already an ‘old soldier’ in the traditional sense so it would have been entirely natural for him to have been given an old soldier’s role.  I can imagine him working for the battalion quartermaster.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I was greatly helped with tracing my grandfathers army history.  I have now put his medals into a case/frame, as suggested, I’m just hoping that I’ve put them the right way round in in the right order.  Again any help would be greatly appreciated.  Regards Gillian 

IMG_0041.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gillian Crockson said:

A couple of weeks ago I was greatly helped with tracing my grandfathers army history.  I have now put his medals into a case/frame, as suggested, I’m just hoping that I’ve put them the right way round in in the right order.  Again any help would be greatly appreciated.  Regards Gillian 

IMG_0041.jpeg

They look superb Gillian, you’ve done a great job in honouring his service.  As regards sequence I don’t have my references immediately to hand just now so I’ll need to check, but I think they’re all correct apart from the Territorial Force efficiency medal, which as a service rather than campaign medal I think usually goes to the far right.

Afternote:  yes I can confirm my comments now after checking.  I don’t think you should worry too much though, few will ever even notice.

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you so much for checking this for me. I could change them but thought date order might be ok. As in Queen then the King so I think I shall leave them as they are. 
I’ve learnt so much from you and appreciate all your help. I shall be leaving a donation to the group so others might benefit from your help 

Best wishes Gillian 

5 minutes ago, Gillian Crockson said:

Thank you so much for checking this for me. I could change them but thought date order might be ok. As in Queen then the King so I think I shall leave them as they are. 
I’ve learnt so much from you and appreciate all your help. I shall be leaving a donation to the group so others might benefit from your help 

Best wishes Gillian 

Yes I think they look aesthetically pleasing as they are, and only you will ever know any different I suspect 😉(I shall keep your secret).

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I think they look aesthetically pleasing as they are, and only you will ever know any different I suspect 😉(I shall keep your secret).

😂thank you I shall hold you to that 

18 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

Excellent display Gillian ---- well done:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

53 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I think they look aesthetically pleasing as they are, and only you will ever know any different I suspect 😉

Yes I think they look aesthetically pleasing as they are and only you will ever know any different I suspect 

Just now, Gillian Crockson said:

Thank you I’m really pleased with how they look

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I think they look aesthetically pleasing as they are, and only you will ever know any different I suspect 😉

Yes I think they look aesthetically pleasing as they are and only you will ever know any different I suspect 

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

2 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Thank you I’m really pleased with how they look

1 hour ago, RussT said:

A great display and very fitting.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Russ

Thank you, and thanks for all your help. 

best wishes - Gillian