Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Photo on Vimy Ridge April 1916 Lt FJ Nugee 1/4 Leicestershire Regt

Julianw

I have a photograph of my grandfather in a trench in Vimy Ridge in April 1916 which is attached to this post along with his diary entries at the time.

I need help in identifying the location on the ground (as close as i can of the trench in the  picture) when I visit Vimy in April this year.

In his diary he makes reference to 'tabes des Zouvares ?' and the trench names: The International and The Vincent. Also reference is made to his Coy being in dugout outs at the Cabinet Rouge.

Can anyone help identify his location?  Are there any trench maps/air photos of this area in April 1916 I could view?

Thank you for your help

Julian 

FJN in the trenches at Vimy.jpg

Diary 15-27  March 1916.jpg

Diary 2-5th April 1916.jpg

Diary 8-23 April 1916.jpg

• Admin

It’s Cabaret Rouge, near Souchez. Looks like Talus des Zouaves to me. If you google Trench Mapper you can search on there for trenches. Alternatively , @Howard and @WhiteStarLine should be able to help. 

Julian

I have recently added some maps of the area on this thread in Soldiers. They relate to April/May 1916.

EDIT: 4 Leicesters were 138 Infantry Brigade of 46 Div and one of the maps is from the 138 IB War Diary. The 46 Div papers recorded that 138 IB were in Q Sector and this is mentioned in the left hand page of the diary. The maps show Q Sector which was my interest on the attached thread.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/249675-9th-battalion-loyal-north-lancs-war-diary-aprilmay-1916/#comment-3272476 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

As Brian has pointed out, a map showing International and Vincent trenches is on this recent thread although its planimetry (geometric accuracy) is limited.

You also need care as some of the maps in the War Diaries show different trench names from the trench maps.

To go straight there, use TrenchMapper and put Cabaret Rouge in Advanced Search. Then select the map in the lower left panel.

Fader top right to see the aerial imagery, right click to get Street View and use the tool icons top left to measure bearing, distance etc.

Howard

If visiting the Vimy area, it is possible to see/visit one of the few remaining trenches. Just north of International  was Uhlan Alley, this can still be seen from the road and is visible on google earth (attached). This may have been just outside the Leicester's sector but gives an idea.

Peter

uhlan t.jpg

Edited by mebu

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions