Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Translating German WW1 Passport

Garrett

33 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Charlie, Google says the second last entry 4.9.18 is a sanitarium? Is that correct? and then the last one translated to “spill” but I thought it means buried? 

It could have been previously a sanitarium and was turned into a hospital for the war. Verschüttet can mean buried or spill, in this case it means buried.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

3 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

His transfer doesn't make sense and his remaining in Baden units for the remainder of the war doesn't either...

Whether it makes sense to us or not, that is what according the records happened. :)

Just now, charlie2 said:

Whether it makes sense to us or not, that is what according the records happened. :)

Yes of course, but it really makes me curious. The cavalry history might shed a light on this matter (in case more men were combed out at that point).

Okay so I have translated what you deciphered from the handwriting into english as best I could for the original document as-well as the information from the RIR 111 that Charlie wrote out. Was there any additional information in the document for 1/169 Jan found? 

If one of you had a minute to look over my translation and help me correct any errors that would be amazing. My knowledge of german is pretty limited here. Thank you both so much! You found in a mater of hours what I have been looking for over years! I am very grateful for all the help. 

Nationality of Book Owner.
1.     First and Last name:

Alois Haase 
Born on the 4th of June in Kreiwitz 
Administrative District: Neustadt 
Land: Upper Silesia, Prussia
2.    Profession: Farmer

3.    Religion: Catholic
4.    Whether Married: No
Children: No

5.    Date of Entry into Service: 14 Sept. 1915

6.    In which unit (Specifying the company, squadron, battery): Replacement Squadron Uhlan Regiment 2
Transfers (Specifying the date and the company, squadron, battery):
14.9.15-3.1.16 Replacement Squadron Uhlan Regiment 2
4.1.16 – 1.10.17 Landwehr Cavalry Regiment 2
(Renamed Landwehr Cavalry (Schützen Reg. 11)
2.10.17 – 29.11.17 Reserve Infantry Regiment 169
(Actually, in Infantry Regiment 169)
30.11.17 – 2.7.18 Hospital
3.7.18 – 1.11.18 10th Company Infantry Regiment 111
(Actually, in Reserve Infantry Regiment 111)
2.11.18 – 22.1.19 Replacement Battalion Infantry Reg. 111
22.1.19 Dismissed
21.12.19 – 28.4.20 ? Squadron Cavalry Regiment 8 
29.4.20 – 31.3.23 4 Squadron Rider Regiment 8  
Promotions (Specifying the date and type):
1.2.21 First Horseman
1.11.23 Private
14.6.24 Non-Commissioned Officer Candidate
1.9.26 Corporal
7.    Date and type of dismissal:
On August 10, 1928 after completing 12 years of service
8.    From which unit: 4th Squadron 8th Pussian Rider Regiment 
Number of Troop Roll:
257 for 1915
9.    Orders and Decorations:
Iron Cross 2nd Class 8.1.18
Wound Badge Black 15.10.20
Service Badge 3rd Class 12.10.20

10.Campaigns, Wounds:
Against France and Russia
26.10.16 Left Shoulder Wounded
29.11.17 Shell Splinters on right forearm
1.11.18    Buried 

Information from Reserve Infantry Regiment 111:
26.10 -9.11.16 Landwehr Field Hospital 19. To the troops
29.11 -21-12.17 Right forearm near Ripont due to artillery shells
29-11-21.12.17 Field Hospital 10
21.12.17 -3.1.18 War Hospital Department 18, Sports Palace
4.1. -28.2.18 Reserve Hospital 
29.2. – 6.4.18 Reserve Hospital Neustadt
8.4 -4.9.18 Fortress Hospital Department Breslau Sanitorium.
On 1.11.18 Buried

10 hours ago, Garrett said:

30.11.17 – 2.7.18 Hospital

The IR 169 KriSta states Reserve Lazarett 30

10 hours ago, Garrett said:

7.18 – 1.11.18 10th Company Infantry Regiment 111
(Actually, in Reserve Infantry Regiment 111)
2.11.18 – 22.1.19 Replacement Battalion Infantry Reg. 111

RIR 111 applies to both entries. Otherwise it all looks ok to me.

The IR 169 KriSta lists the battles he took part in

6.1.-12.6.16, 15.6.-1.7.16 and 10.8.16-17.10.17 - Stellungskämpfe an der oberen Schtschara-Serwetsch

13.-14.6.16 - Gefecht bei Stolowitschi

2.-9.7.16 Schlacht vor Baranowitschi

10.7.-9.8.16 - Schlacht vor Baranowitschi-Gorodischtsche

3.11.17 - (no end date given) - Stellungskämpfe in der Champagne

Edited by charlie2

I just checked the two others on the same page: they also came from the same Eastern Front sector and were not from Baden, so there must have been some "combing out" of kv soldiers who were then sent to IR 169 (but why to IR 169?). It would be interesting to read the war diary of IR 169 or 1/169 around this time.

Jan

It’s good to know that others were in a similar situation as him! I’m going to dig into the book I purchased on IR169 and see if I can shed any light on the subject.

I will definitely be purchasing copies of the regimental history’s you both have mentioned. Hopefully I can get a good idea of what was going on while he was a part of them! 

Charlie, the battle information is amazing! I’m looking forward to researching them! Thank you for the translation. If I could ask one more favor. Could you please translate the names of his parents? That would help my mom with her genealogy research quite a bit. 

IMG_9453.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Charlie, the battle information is amazing! I’m looking forward to researching them! Thank you for the translation. If I could ask one more favor. Could you please translate the names of his parents? That would help my mom with her genealogy research quite a bit. 

Josef H. Landwirt (father)

Marie g. Peschke (mother

They were also living (of course since he was still very young when he entered service) in Kreiwitz near Oppeln.

Amazing! Thank you both so much! You have been incredible. If you’re interested, I will update you if I find anything in the company histories that might explain his transfer to Baden units! 

5 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Amazing! Thank you both so much! You have been incredible. If you’re interested, I will update you if I find anything in the company histories that might explain his transfer to Baden units! 

I'm also trying to get hold of the cavalry history to see whether the "combing out" is mentioned there. I know that the end of the hostilities in the East (late 1917-early 1918) was the start of a massive combing through units to see whether there were soldiers that were fit for the West, but until now I had believed these men were then sent to units from the same area.

I fear there may be not that much in the history of IR 169 as it is not a "real" regimental history. But the arrival of many men from other German areas may have left a trace in personal diaries as well of course. Your relative also served only for a very short time in IR 169 as he was soon wounded.

I think you’re right. I doubt there is any reference to him in the histories but it will be interesting to map out where he may have been stationed. It does seem like he spent much of the war in hospitals due to his injuries though. 

14 minutes ago, Garrett said:

I think you’re right. I doubt there is any reference to him in the histories but it will be interesting to map out where he may have been stationed. It does seem like he spent much of the war in hospitals due to his injuries though. 

He indeed only spent 1 and 4 months on the Western Front, but almost 2 years on the Eastern Front. His injury sustained on 29 November 1917 near Ripont in the Champagne (hand grenade right arm) must have been quite serious to need that much time in hospital afterwards.

Edited by AOK4

That he was transferred to a Baden Regiment is perhaps not so odd.

The Grand Duchy of Baden had relinquished sovereignty over its Army to the North German Federation i.e. Prussia in 1869 and signed a treaty of mutual free movement as regards military service.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Bundesgesetzblatt_des_Norddeutschen_Bundes_1869&uselang=de&filefrom=Norddeutsches+Bundesgesetzblatt+1869+032+578.jpg#/media/File:Norddeutsches_Bundesgesetzblatt_1869_036_675.jpg
The Baden Regiments formed a nominally Baden Army Corps within the Prussian Army but that as far as I understand it, is as far as segregation went. Baden did not have an Army under the command of the state ruler as Württemberg and Bavaria did.
The grouping of soldiers together with comrades from the same state was probably desirable and attained during the early years of the war but as the manpower shortage started to bite - at the time he was transferred the German Army was 5-600000 men below establishment - desirability had to give way to operational needs. I suggest that he could have been transferred to any regiment requiring reinforcements at the time and in his case it just happened to be IR 169. 

It would be interesting to learn if the Cavalry history makes any comment.

Charlie

22 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

That he was transferred to a Baden Regiment is perhaps not so odd.

The Grand Duchy of Baden had relinquished sovereignty over its Army to the North German Federation i.e. Prussia in 1869 and signed a treaty of mutual free movement as regards military service.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Bundesgesetzblatt_des_Norddeutschen_Bundes_1869&uselang=de&filefrom=Norddeutsches+Bundesgesetzblatt+1869+032+578.jpg#/media/File:Norddeutsches_Bundesgesetzblatt_1869_036_675.jpg
The Baden Regiments formed a nominally Baden Army Corps within the Prussian Army but that as far as I understand it, is as far as segregation went. Baden did not have an Army under the command of the state ruler as Württemberg and Bavaria did.
The grouping of soldiers together with comrades from the same state was probably desirable and attained during the early years of the war but as the manpower shortage started to bite - at the time he was transferred the German Army was 5-600000 men below establishment - desirability had to give way to operational needs. I suggest that he could have been transferred to any regiment requiring reinforcements at the time and in his case it just happened to be IR 169. 

It would be interesting to learn if the Cavalry history makes any comment.

Charlie

Good point charlie!

On 08/02/2024 at 09:00, AOK4 said:

Landwehr-Kavallerie-Regiment 2 was renamed to Landwehr-Kavallerie-(Schützen-)Regiment 11, which has a regimental history.

I wonder how he ended up in Baden infantry units while being from Silesia and serving in a cavalry unit? Perhaps the KriSta from IR 169 solves that mystery?

Jan

I was looking in my copy of 251 Divisions of the German Army 1914-1918. On page 99, it lists the 2nd Landwehr Cavalry Regiment as being attached to the 4th Landwehr Division in 1914. However, by 1916 it is not listed under the cavalry section of the table. There is an 11 Landwehr Regiment listed under infantry however, which might make sense as I believe the transition from mounted to infantry you mentioned above happened around 1916. 

Anyway, if this is the correct division I thought the entry fit the IR169 battle log for Alois that Charlie translated earlier today quite well. The book says:

(Sixth District -Silesia)                                                                               

1916:

Held front northeast of Baranovitchi from September, 1915, until the beginning of 1918. In 1916 it contributed drafts to the 420th infantry.

1917:

Sector of Baranovitchi. The division had many of its forces transferred to the Western Front: In November, 1917, for the 52nd Division; in February, 1918, for the 5th Reserve Division, but during 1917 it was reinforced by the 404th Infantry, coming from the 18th Landwehr Division.

IR169 listed under battles that Alois was involved in the battle of Baranowitschi from the 2nd to the 9th of July 1916 and then in the Battle of Baranowitschi-Gorodischtsche from the 10th of July until the 9th of August 1916. This seems to work well with the entry above.

I was also browsing the "Iron Regiment" book around the time Alois would have joined the Regiment and it states in Chapter 11: "The regiment had been in sustained combat for much of the passed five months and suffered over 1300 casualties since April. A proper rest and refit was badly needed. La Selve served as a French garrison before the war and its facilities could accomodate the entire 52nd division. One notable occurance from this period was a 52nd Division athletic competion held on October 2... Divisional contest winners included IR111 men who took the 100 meter race...." 

It just so happens Alois transferred to IR169 on October 2nd 1917 based on the Militaripak.

How am I doing? Can you see any flaws in this so far?

IMG_9461.JPG

1 hour ago, Garrett said:

However, by 1916 it is not listed under the cavalry section of the table.

For the period you are interested in the Regiment was subordinated as follows:

23.07.1915 - 07.10.1916: 4. Landwehr Kavallerie Brigade

08.10.1916 - 31.10.1916: 4. Landwehr Division

01.11.1916 - 02.01.1917: Armee Abteilung Woyrsch

it was renamed Landwehr-Kavallerie-(Schützen) Regiment Nr.11 on 02.01.1917 and remained subordinated to Armee Abteilung Woyrsch till 31.12.1917 but was detached as follows:

02.01.1917 - 02.04.1917: 4.Landwehr Division

03.04.1917-03.06.1917: 3. Landwehr Division

04.06.1917 - 16.02.1918: 4. Landwehr Division

Source: Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918, Jäger and Kavallerie. Dr Jürgen Kraus 2023

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

"251 Divisions" is not always correct or complete. It was as charlie says.

Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 11 is not the same as Landwehr-Kavallerie-(Schützen-)Regiment 11.

Jan

Another helpful book without an english version! I guess I better learn to read german haha. 

So when you are saying "Detatched" what does that mean exactly? 

28 minutes ago, Garrett said:

I guess I better learn to read german

A definite advantage if one wants to research something German as strangely enough the vast majority of information is in the German language. :)

29 minutes ago, Garrett said:

So when you are saying "Detatched" what does that mean exactly? 

Not under the direct control of its parent unit but „lent“ to another unit. 

Charlie