Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Translating German WW1 Passport

Garrett

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have my Great Grandfathers Military Passport that covers his service from September 14 1915 until March 31, 1923. His name was Alois Haase and he was born in 1897 in Krewitz, Neustadt in Silesia (Prussia). From what little my Grandfather knew of him, he joined the army in 1915 and after his discharge in 1918, re-enlisted. Following his discharge in 1923 he apparently went to work in the Customs office in Breslau. In 1936, he took his family to Lingen Germany, where he re-enlisted and was eventually killed in 1944.  There is a lot of information written within the small pages of his WW1 passport but I am really struggling with the handwriting and the military abbreviations. It appears he moved around a lot and I would like to research exactly where he was and the units he was with. I know it is a big ask but if someone familiar with these books could help translate the handwriting and decipher the units he was with / medals he received I would be extremely grateful. I am lucky to have this document in my possession as so much of his life has been lost to history.  

I am looking forward to any information you can shed on his story. Thank you

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Edited by Garrett
error

Cover - Militärpaß des Unteroffiziers Alois Haase, 4. Eskadron  Reiter Regiment 8.

1st Page - 

2/ Arbeiter

3/ Katholisch

4/ Verh(eiratet)

6/ Ersatz Eskadron Ulanen Regiment 2

2nd Page

14.9.15 - 3.1.16 Ersatz Eskadron Ulanen Regiment 2

4.1.16 - 1.10.17 Landwehr Kavallerie Regiment 2

2.10.17 - 29.11.17 Reserve Infanterie Regiment 169

30.11.17 - 2.7.18 Lazarett

3.7.18 - 1.11.18 10. Kompagnie Infanterie Regiment 111

2.11.18 - 22.1.19 Ersatz Bataillon Infanterie Regiment 111

22.1.19 Entlassen

21.12.19 - 28.4.20 ? Eskadron Kavallerie Regiment 8

29.4.20 - 31.3.23 4. Eskadron Reiter Regiment 8

1.2.21 Oberreiter

1.11.23 Gefreiter

14.6.24 Unteroffizier Anwärter

1.9.26 Unteroffizier

7/ Am 10. August 1928 nach ________ ? 12 jährigen Dienstzeit

Edited by charlie2
Missed out RIR 169

Last page

8/ 4. Eskadron 8 (Preußisches) Reiter Regiment

9/ Eiseners Kreuz II Klasse 8.1.18

verwundeten Abzeichen Schwarz 15.10.19

Dienst Abzeichen III. Klasse 12.10.20

10/ gegen Frankreich und Rußland

26.10.16 Linke Schulter verwundet

29.11.17 Granatsplitter rechte Unterarm

1.11.18 Verschüttet

Charlie

20 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

7/ Am 10. August 1928 nach ________ ? 12 jährigen Dienstzeit

7/ Am 10. August 1928 nach Beendigung der 12 jährigen Dienstzeit

4 hours ago, charlie2 said:

3.7.18 - 1.11.18 10. Kompagnie Infanterie Regiment 111

2.11.18 - 22.1.19 Ersatz Bataillon Infanterie Regiment 111

These two entries have been wrongly recorded in his Militärpass, he was not in Infanterie Regiment 111 but Reserve Infanterie Regiment 111 - two different Regiments. There is a Kriegsstammrollen entry for him in 10./RIR 111

http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=4-843072-571

Charlie

22 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

These two entries have been wrongly recorded in his Militärpass, he was not in Infanterie Regiment 111 but Reserve Infanterie Regiment 111 - two different Regiments. There is a Kriegsstammrollen entry for him in 10./RIR 111

http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=4-843072-571

Charlie

I've seen before that post-war documents (the pass is a Reichswehr pass) did not always mention the correct units (in case of active/reserve/etc).

This is incredible! Thank you both so much! I am very grateful for your help here. This is the first time Ive seen a Kriegsstammrollen page? Years ago I contacted the archives in Berlin for his military records and was told they had all been lost due to bombing damage. Would there be more entries for him other than just the one? If so, how could I search those? 

I don't want to push my luck but could you please shed some light on what that entry says for 10.RIR 111?

Thanks again! So exciting

If you're interested I have attached the only WW1 era photo we have of him on his wedding day. Although I believe it was after the war.

Alois and Maria Molke Feb. 2nd 1926.jpg

14 minutes ago, Garrett said:

If you're interested I have attached the only WW1 era photo we have of him on his wedding day. Although I believe it was after the war.

The photo is his wedding photo when he was in the Rechswehr (1920s) so not WWI, but later.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

The photo is his wedding photo when he was in the Rechswehr (1920s) so not WWI, but later.

Jan

Can you tell it’s the Rechswehr by the uniform itself? 

4 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Can you tell it’s the Rechswehr by the uniform itself? 

Yes indeed. The uniform itself and more specifically the lower cap badge make this very clear. The third medal is also the Silesian Eagle, issued from mid 1919 onwards.

12 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Yes indeed. The uniform itself and more specifically the lower cap badge make this very clear. The third medal is also the Silesian Eagle, issued from mid 1919 onwards.

It’s nice to have confirmation on the Silesian Eagle! From the picture I believe it is a 2nd class medal but I have never found any written mention of it. I have found it difficult to find German records of the uprisings in 1919-1920. 

There is also a published history of Reiter-Regiment 8, which you may be able to get via your library.

7 hours ago, charlie2 said:

2.10.17 - 29.11.17 Reserve Infanterie Regiment 169

This entry is also incorrect, there wasn‘t a RIR 169 only an IR 169. The Kriegsstammrollen for IR 169 can be found here

https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/olf/startbild.php?bestand=13908 

there is also a published history of the regiment https://www.ironregiment169.com

RIR 111 also has a published regimental history, you can buy it as a downloadable PDF file from Patrick for 9€ https://military-books.lima-city.de/hp01/111.html

Charlie

Landwehr-Kavallerie-Regiment 2 was renamed to Landwehr-Kavallerie-(Schützen-)Regiment 11, which has a regimental history.

I wonder how he ended up in Baden infantry units while being from Silesia and serving in a cavalry unit? Perhaps the KriSta from IR 169 solves that mystery?

Jan

Charlie, this might be a dumb question but are there English copies of these regimental history books? Google translate just doesn’t do well with the old German text or the military wording. 

Also, I did find a pdf copy of the 2 Guards Ulanen regiment online. Based on your translation he was originally assigned to the Reserve Squadron Ulanen Regiment 2. Is that different from the guards? Again, the copy is in German so I haven’t got much information out of it yet! 

I did purchase a book on the IR 169, though not an official history I believe it was written by the grandson of a soldier who served in it. I haven’t read it yet for the reason you stated Jan! It didn’t make much sense to me that he ended up in a Baden infantry Regiment. 

IMG_9418.jpeg

The histories are only available in the original German. The Ulanen Regiments are different. I expect that there would nothing or very little of interest in the Ulanen Regt 2 history, it looks as though he only did his basic training with them.

Charlie

14 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Also, I did find a pdf copy of the 2 Guards Ulanen regiment online. Based on your translation he was originally assigned to the Reserve Squadron Ulanen Regiment 2. Is that different from the guards? Again, the copy is in German so I haven’t got much information out of it yet! 

You need the Landwehr-Kavallerie-Schützen-Regiment 11 regimental history (only in German) which should also include Landwehr-Kavallerie-Regiment 2.

Jan

He was in 1/169: http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=4-790649-168

No explanation how or why he was transferred from the cavalry to IR 169 (perhaps in the cavalry regimental history?). He was on leave from 24 August to 19 September 1917 just prior to the transfer. The cavalry unit was on the Eastern Front and IR 169 on the Western Front. The transfer was on 3 November 1917 according to the KriSta.

His Iron Cross 2nd Class was most probably an award for being wounded (prior to the creation of the wound badge in 1918, it was quite common that wounded soldiers received an Iron Cross 2nd Class).

Jan

I expect it was thought as he was a farmer he could ride a horse well and later as he was still young he was combed out and sent to the infantry.

The RIR 111 KriSta - only the large cell adds anything the small cells record name, DoB etc.

26.10.16 Gewehr Geschoss linke Schulter Stolovitechl ????  Perhaps Jan has a better idea :)

26.10.-9.11.16 Landwehr Feldlazarett 19. Zur Truppe.

29.11.17 Durch Artillerie Geschoss rechte Unterarm bei Ripont.

29.11.-21.12.17 Feldlazarett 10

21.12.17-3.1.18 Kriegslazarett Abteilung 18 Sportpalast.

4.1.-28.2.18 Reserve Lazarett

29.2.-6.4.18 Reserve Lazarett Neustadt.

8.4.-4.9.18 Festungs Lazarett Abteilung Heilanstalt Breslau.

Am 1.11.18 Verschüttung

3 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

26.10.16 Gewehr Geschoss linke Schulter Stolovitechl ????  Perhaps Jan has a better idea :)

The answer is in the IR 169 KriSta - Stolowitschi

Jan, thanks for the casualty lists! I believe it was written in the militarypak that he was wounded against the French and the Russians so it’s all coming together! 

Charlie, Google says the second last entry 4.9.18 is a sanitarium? Is that correct? and then the last one translated to “spill” but I thought it means buried? 

29 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

I expect it was thought as he was a farmer he could ride a horse well and later as he was still young he was combed out and sent to the infantry.

The RIR 111 KriSta - only the large cell adds anything the small cells record name, DoB etc.

26.10.-9.11.16 Landwehr Feldlazarett 19. Zur Truppe.

29.11.17 Durch Artillerie Geschoss rechte Unterarm bei Ripont.

29.11.-21.12.17 Feldlazarett 10

21.12.17-3.1.18 Kriegslazarett Abteilung 18 Sportpalast.

4.1.-28.2.18 Reserve Lazarett

29.2.-6.4.18 Reserve Lazarett Neustadt.

8.4.-4.9.18 Festungs Lazarett Abteilung Heilanstalt Breslau.

Am 1.11.18 Verschüttung

It doesn't make since that he would end up in a Baden unit (especially as this was not even under the Prussian War Ministry). He should have been sent back to Silesia and sent to a Silesian unit from there. Even when in the Baden unit, there should have been regular checks during which men from "other German states" would then be exchanged so that all/most of the men would be from Baden. His transfer doesn't make sense and his remaining in Baden units for the remainder of the war doesn't either...

Kriegslazarett-Abteilung 18 Sportpalast = Palais des Sports in Sedan, which was used as a hospital.

Verschüttung is indeed that he was buried (most probably in a trench or a shelter because of a bombardment)