Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

37mm Round? Pricing

M1890 ottoman

Hi Steve, the bayonets shown in the photos I put up show both the M1890 and M1887 versions. They are virtually identical except for the ring height.

The M1887 has the very low ring as it was side mounted with the old bar on band style attachment on the M1887 rifle. While the M1890 has the high-set ring as it was slung vertically mounted onto the nosecap in the typical "export Mauser" fashion of that period.

There is NO M1893 bayonet as when that M1893 rifle was introduced they decided to stick with the existing style M1890 bayonet. A new batch of these bayonets were produced and these can be identified by the date range and in one case a slightly different makers inscription.

PS. If you post pics of your markings I can tell you what maker produced them, and when ... and for what. :thumbsup:

Cheers,  SS

I really appreciate your assumption. I have been wondering how it ended up since I have held it. That is a very likely scenario, SS. The older friend of mine who used to be the Antique shop owner, told me that he most likely bought it from Austria.  If it have been ended up in turkey most likely It wouldn't have made it without getting sharpened somehow. Trajan would be familiar with blades whom come out in the Turkish market. There is this habit of sharpening something via a rough stone or file. My grandfather told me that they were kept in barns and "often sold to junk dealer as metal". Yes it sounds awkward.

2 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Hey SS

Are those two bayonet’s. M1890. Or 1893? Ir even the M1887?  Look very nice, I have 3, but no read Arabic? Looked for years for a 1887. Never even seen one for sale

Here is a picture I have snapped out of a book called ZNAČKY NA BAJONETECH while I was watching "pointy not sharp" on YouTube recently (the channel doing content about collecting bayonets in oz) sorry about the photo quality.IMG-20240213-WA0006.jpg.3d16f36a3bf7ddafa80296247e23d914.jpg

Thanks for showing the photo of the booklet Ahmet. It is not a bad guide however I do detect mistakes. There is another Maker shown incorrectly. Do you know when that booklet or information was printed.?

Cheers,  SS 

Here’s a rather more sorry looking example of a Turkish bayonet: a relic example that adorns the wall. I think it’s the 1887 model.

Simon

D746EFD1-73D4-4BFC-9963-728A893325BE.jpeg

2 hours ago, Simon127 said:

Here’s a rather more sorry looking example of a Turkish bayonet: a relic example that adorns the wall. I think it’s the 1887 model.

Simon

D746EFD1-73D4-4BFC-9963-728A893325BE.jpeg

Yes it is an 1887. I have seen one in similar shape in the Istanbul Feriköy antique bazaar. Noice how have you ended up finding it. 

Best wishes, Ahmet