Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrol Uniform of 2nd Lt. Lewis MacLellan MC (1894 - 1917) 5th Battn HLI

gordon92

There has been a recent and extensive discussion of the Blue Patrol Frock. In that connection, I thought I would present the patrol uniform of (then) 2nd Lt. Lewis MacLellan who served with the 1st/5th Battalion Highland Light Infantry (TF) from late 1913 until his death in action on 30th November 1917 in the Judean Hills near Jerusalem. I have had this uniform for some time but have only recently put it on display. The last photo below from circa early 1914 shows Lt. MacLellan sitting on the ground second from left (facing) presumably wearing this uniform.

Career highlights: educated Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow and Fettes College, Edinburgh; gazetted 2nd Lt. 5th HLI (TF) Nov 1913; promoted Lt. Dec 1915; served with MEF at Gallipoli May - July 1915, then invalided home; on recovery proceeded to Egypt and Palestine Jan 1916; Temporary Captain Jan 1916; killed in action 30th November 1917 at Beit Ur al-Tahta (Beth Horon the Lower), Palestine; Awarded Militrary Cross 22 March 1918 "for conspicuous gallantry under attack. His battalion captured their objective on four occasions but was each time driven back by enemy counter-attack and most intense fire. On each occasion he showed the greatest courage and determination in rallying and reorganizing the men."

The uniform consists of the blue serge frock and trews of MacKenzie tartan, both with named labels from Wm Anderson & Sons. The trews are strapped underneath the boots. The tailoring is of very high quality as would be expected from Anderson. The cuffs are gauntlet with three seams above. The back has a panel of four pleats, probably a vestige of the frogged patrol jackets of Victorian times; I don't believe any of the other five Highland regiments had this feature on their patrol jackets at least post 1902.

I feel very privileged to be in possession of this piece of history. I hope the foregoing may be of interest.

Mike

HLI1.jpg.62408fa8031a6a96757d6f086b3ada17.jpg  HLI4.jpg.e5a77020f6cd77e4fd320abe2092d4d1.jpg

HLI3.jpg.dbf0df19125d65da53b02a8f658845e7.jpg illus03.jpg.39ca30cc8b21c2c47a61f3600bd0532b.jpg

On 30/01/2024 at 17:58, gordon92 said:

There has been a recent and extensive discussion of the Blue Patrol Frock. In that connection, I thought I would present the patrol uniform of (then) 2nd Lt. Lewis MacLellan who served with the 1st/5th Battalion Highland Light Infantry (TF) from late 1913 until his death in action on 30th November 1917 in the Judean Hills near Jerusalem. I have had this uniform for some time but have only recently put it on display. The last photo below from circa early 1914 shows Lt. MacLellan sitting on the ground second from left (facing) presumably wearing this uniform.

Career highlights: educated Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow and Fettes College, Edinburgh; gazetted 2nd Lt. 5th HLI (TF) Nov 1913; promoted Lt. Dec 1915; served with MEF at Gallipoli May - July 1915, then invalided home; on recovery proceeded to Egypt and Palestine Jan 1916; Temporary Captain Jan 1916; killed in action 30th November 1917 at Beit Ur al-Tahta (Beth Horon the Lower), Palestine; Awarded Militrary Cross 22 March 1918 "for conspicuous gallantry under attack. His battalion captured their objective on four occasions but was each time driven back by enemy counter-attack and most intense fire. On each occasion he showed the greatest courage and determination in rallying and reorganizing the men."

The uniform consists of the blue serge frock and trews of MacKenzie tartan, both with named labels from Wm Anderson & Sons. The trews are strapped underneath the boots. The tailoring is of very high quality as would be expected from Anderson. The cuffs are gauntlet with three seams above. The back has a panel of four pleats, probably a vestige of the frogged patrol jackets of Victorian times; I don't believe any of the other five Highland regiments had this feature on their patrol jackets at least post 1902.

I feel very privileged to be in possession of this piece of history. I hope the foregoing may be of interest.

Mike

HLI1.jpg.62408fa8031a6a96757d6f086b3ada17.jpg  HLI4.jpg.e5a77020f6cd77e4fd320abe2092d4d1.jpg

HLI3.jpg.dbf0df19125d65da53b02a8f658845e7.jpg illus03.jpg.39ca30cc8b21c2c47a61f3600bd0532b.jpg

The vertical pleats on the back were a unique feature of the HLI’s jacket.  I’m not sure if the origin lay with 1st, or 2nd Battalion, or whether it was adopted by both battalions simultaneously.  The former option seems a distinct possibility, as during the period of authority covered by the Officers Dress Regulations (DR) Regular Army and Militia of 1891, discrete regimental patterns of serge patrol frock were still quite common.  For example the Cameronian’s had their own special pattern, as did the KRRC, and the Rifle Brigade.  They are described in some detail within the DR.  In most regiments these special patterns were phased out to be replaced by blue serge patrol jackets of either, standard, or Scottish type, but the HLI clung on to their version and it continued in use past merger with the RSF as a form of dress of the RHF.  This latter unit (1st Bn)  had a tradition that it was worn by all officers serving with the 1st Battalion on Fridays.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks for the interesting rundown on origins of the HLI patrol jacket and its perpetuation with the RHF.

8 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Many thanks for the interesting rundown on origins of the HLI patrol jacket and its perpetuation with the RHF.

I’m glad that it’s been of interest to you.  I recall that the jacket is described in the excellent little booklet covering HLI uniforms, written by James B McKay and illustrated by Douglas N Anderson.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it were still worn today by the lineal successors in Royal Regiment of Scotland.  I recall my then OC at Support Weapons Wing, School of Infantry circa 1986, Major Kelly, RHF, still observed that dress protocol even though he was serving away from regimental duty.

IMG_2202.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I had forgotten that I have that superb booklet on HLI uniforms by Douglas Anderson. I happened to meet him by chance about 15 years ago when I was visiting the RHF Museum in Glasgow. His passion for the HLI, in which he served, was clearly evident even when chatting with a stranger for about 20 minutes. He was easily able to answer all my questions about obscure features of dress.

The text on pages 34-35 does seem to imply that the HLI version of the "blue serge jacket" had its origin in the 1st Bn and then was adopted by both battalions. It is interesting that the vertical back panel of 4 pleats was originally a tailor's mistake that, being well liked, was perpetuated as a regimental pattern.

HLIjacket.jpg.8ef213f05413873dc27192e7bc57bcb4.jpg

Re the RHF's wearing of patrol uniform on Fridays, I am reminded that many units of the U.S. Marine Corps do something similar when not in the field. They would wear either Dress Blue C or Dress Blue D on Fridays depending on the season and whims of the CO. Dress Blue C is the wearing of a khaki long sleeve shirt and tie with the dress sky blue trousers with blood red stripe. Dress Blue D is similar but with a khaki short sleeve shirt worn open collar without tie.

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

I had forgotten that I have that superb booklet on HLI uniforms by Douglas Anderson. I happened to meet him by chance about 15 years ago when I was visiting the RHF Museum in Glasgow. His passion for the HLI, in which he served, was clearly evident even when chatting with a stranger for about 20 minutes. He was easily able to answer all my questions about obscure features of dress.

The text on pages 34-35 does seem to imply that the HLI version of the "blue serge jacket" had its origin in the 1st Bn and then was adopted by both battalions. It is interesting that the vertical back panel of 4 pleats was originally a tailor's mistake that, being well liked, was perpetuated as a regimental pattern.

HLIjacket.jpg.8ef213f05413873dc27192e7bc57bcb4.jpg

Re the RHF's wearing of patrol uniform on Fridays, I am reminded that many units of the U.S. Marine Corps do something similar when not in the field. They would wear either Dress Blue C or Dress Blue D on Fridays depending on the season and whims of the CO. Dress Blue C is the wearing of a khaki long sleeve shirt and tie with the dress sky blue trousers with blood red stripe. Dress Blue D is similar but with a khaki short sleeve shirt worn open collar without tie.

Thanks for confirming that it started with the 1st Battalion, which information I’ve stored away for future reference.  It’s also interesting what you say about the USMC.  I recall reading that in the decades before WW1 it was quite common for infantry battalions to have that sort of arrangement on Friday.  Many years later it seems that it was switched in most cases to a Wednesday afternoon with an encouragement that team sports were to be played during that time.  During coalition operations when working alongside the USMC I noticed that there were matters of organisation and routine that were more familiar to me than those of the US Army.

19 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks for confirming that it started with the 1st Battalion, which information I’ve stored away for future reference.  It’s also interesting what you say about the USMC.  I recall reading that in the decades before WW1 it was quite common for infantry battalions to have that sort of arrangement on Friday.  Many years later it seems that it was switched in most cases to a Wednesday afternoon with an encouragement that team sports were to be played during that time.  During coalition operations when working alongside the USMC I noticed that there were matters of organisation and routine that were more familiar to me than those of the US Army.

Interesting.... In what ways did you find the USMC more familiar to you than the U.S. Army?

On 01/02/2024 at 16:51, gordon92 said:

Interesting.... In what ways did you find the USMC more familiar to you than the U.S. Army?

I can’t recall all the details now Chris, but some aspects of unit structure, the rank of lance corporal, sharper attitudes to discipline, and respect for figures like gunnery sergeants seemed more familiar/similar.  It’s difficult to be more specific than that really and I mustn’t stray any further from WW1.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you.