Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help Request: Thomas Hanson Averill

GARY BROAD

Morning all,  I'm researching an old-school, old-boy for a CWGC For Evermore story and would really appreciate some help and guidance in terms of his service record...

All I can find is that he served as a 2nd Lieut. (temp) in the 17th Bn of the Kings (Liverpool Regiment) and also as an Acting Sergeant, Lieut. in the Army Vetinary Corps. 

Apologies for my lack of understanding, but does that suggest he started as a Vetinary Corps NCO and then got attached/transferred to the Kings and promoted on a temporary basis to Lieutenant?? Would that make sense?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated - thanks!

Gary B

Jrmh, thanks so much for that. As I'm new to this type of research, if I request a Page Search with the NA - how should I word my request?  (apologies for my ignorance, I'm still learning - very keen though - and like an excited puppy when I actually manage to find something!)

I think I read that it's £8.00 per page....  so I can request a few and it would still be cheaper than a visit to Kew!

Thanks again for your help, It really is very much appreciated.

All the best, Gary B

I’m not sure of the exact process, the other option is to use an independent researcher - there may be someone on this forum who might be able to help you? 

Thanks again - I've just downloaded the War Diary  which confirms his death (on a different date to the one I had)  in a "working party on the frontline."

I think the process of requesting his service file is simple enough but its the the terminology to use that I'm a tad baffled by!

Gary B

• Admin
2 minutes ago, GARY BROAD said:

Thanks again - I've just downloaded the War Diary  which confirms his death (on a different date to the one I had)  in a "working party on the frontline."

I think the process of requesting his service file is simple enough but its the the terminology to use that I'm a tad baffled by!

Gary B

Don't use the TNA Kew copying service - enlist the help of an independent researcher - much quicker and a lot cheaper.  If you search the forum you will find numerous references to ones members have previously used successfully.

That's brilliant advice, thanks David - very much appreciated!

All the best, Gary B

2 hours ago, GARY BROAD said:

All I can find is that he served as a 2nd Lieut. (temp) in the 17th Bn of the Kings (Liverpool Regiment) and also as an Acting Sergeant, Lieut. in the Army Vetinary Corps. 

Apologies for my lack of understanding, but does that suggest he started as a Vetinary Corps NCO and then got attached/transferred to the Kings and promoted on a temporary basis to Lieutenant?? Would that make sense?

It does makes sense ... off his MIC

image.png.a284828897ccbca8b6e5591245d75255.png

Image thanks to Ancestry

No Rank Service Overseas

As only a BWM & VM he must have gone to France after 31/12/1915 [the dotted x indicates the rank and regt to be put on his medals]

His London Gazette commissioning entry  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30073/supplement/4763   

The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.). 26th Apr. 1917 INFANTRY ... L'pool R.— ... Thomas Hanson Averill.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

22 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

It does makes sense ... off his MIC

image.png.a284828897ccbca8b6e5591245d75255.png

Image thanks to Ancestry

No Rank Service Overseas

As only a BWM & VM he must have gone to France after 31/12/1915 [the dotted x indicates the rank and regt to be put on his medals]

His London Gazette commissioning entry  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30073/supplement/4763   

The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.). 26th Apr. 1917 INFANTRY ... L'pool R.— ... Thomas Hanson Averill.

M

Matlock 1418 - thanks so much for this info, I couldn't find this anywhere!

What does the term "No Rank Service Overseas" actually mean? 

The War Diary states he was killed on the frontline whilst part of a working party (with his rank of 2nd Lt quoted) and he's buried in Belgium so he was obviously KIA over there, so what do you reckon "No Rank Service Overseas" refers to?

Gary B

21 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

@GARY BROAD -- I don't know if you have seen this with regard to Thomas:

Second Lieutenant Thomas AVERILL | Remember The Fallen

Thomas Hanson Averill | Liverpool Pals

Allan 1892 - many thanks for this (you've given me just what I was after!!)

Brilliant, thanks again!  All the best, Gary B

3 hours ago, GARY BROAD said:

What does the term "No Rank Service Overseas" actually mean? 

It means he didn't serve overseas in the ranks/as a A/Sgt [ie. with the AOC even though that is written on the MIC and might have been impressed/stamped on his medals had he first served O/S with them as it initially it might appear from the ordering]. 

All his overseas service was actually as an officer so his medals' rims would be impressed as 2 Lt [Liverpool Regt] - as marked by the dotted X

M

Edited by Matlock1418

M, brilliant, thanks for explaining that, I get it now.

Fantastic help mate, much appreciated!!

Gary B