Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Black Watch - McIntyre family album

aramsay

#23.....we seem to agree this is 1104 James McIntyre, of the family this album pertains to

#24....James McIntyre seated / centre ?

Well folks, that's the last of the main Black Watch photos from the album. There are lots more.....many civvies-only photos from around same time, some wartime RSF pics of brother Alexander McIntyre, and a fair amount for brother Thomas with 2nd Seaforth in India, around 1921.

6th BW #12.jpg

Many thanks indeed for sharing these Alan. Amazing what turns up after all these years. Definitely drop in if you're in my neck of the woods some time, would love to see the whole album. Will keep trying to identify them.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Yes, many thanks for posting these photos Alan, Very much appreciated.

Mark

7 minutes ago, Skipman said:

19 is Ian Bett again. Could 20 be Alfred Harold Towner @dhubthaigh

Mike

Yes, Ian Bett again at 19. I have a few lads standing in the exact place he is. I reckon it's Bedford and they probably all lined up to have their photo taken there. 

I have another photograph of Harold Towner but can't access at moment. In it, he looks more like the soldier in number 20 than in this one but have a feeling it could well be him. Don't think twin Albert was Black Watch was he @dhubthaigh

Mike

Alfred Harold Towner.png

30 minutes ago, Skipman said:

19 is Ian Bett again. Could 20 be Alfred Harold Towner @dhubthaigh

Mike

Comparison of #20 and one of Harold Towner. Could well be him, comments welcome. Mike, would be interested to see the other Towner image.

Compare 3.jpg

1 minute ago, dhubthaigh said:

Comparison of #20 and one of Harold Towner. Could well be him, comments welcome. Mike, would be interested to see the other Towner image.

The other one is a newspaper image and from memory could even be the same photo.  Will have a look in next couple of days.

Mike

The lad rear right in # 24 could be Duncan McGregor (M.M.) No. 1524. I accept the comparison image is a poor newspaper copy. Again any thoughts appreciated. @Skipman

comparison.jpg

Edited by dhubthaigh

28 minutes ago, dhubthaigh said:

The lad rear right in # 24 could be Duncan McGregor (M.M.) No. 1524. I accept the comparison image is a poor newspaper copy. Again any thoughts appreciated. @Skipman

comparison.jpg

Looks good to me Mark.

Mike

An older Robert L Cowper in comparison to his album image # 18

comparison.jpg

45 minutes ago, dhubthaigh said:

comparison.jpg

Yes I think that’s him.  Good spot. 

1 hour ago, aramsay said:

#21....no wedding rings, so possibly a sister ?

#22....2nd from left looks like same chap from #21

6th BW #11.jpg

@Skipman What was Atholl Forbes occupation prior to the Great War?

4 minutes ago, dhubthaigh said:

An older Robert L Cowper in comparison to his album image # 18

comparison.jpg

Another good spot.  Distinctive jawline, mouth and eye sockets all match.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, dhubthaigh said:

@Skipman What was Atholl Forbes occupation prior to the Great War?

I don't have his occupation I'm afraid. Stayed with his aunts the Misses Forbes at Kenmore Street, think thye had a sweetie shop or shop of some kind.

Edit I think they ran a baker confectioner sweet shop s0 possibly a baker?

Mike

Edited by Skipman

35 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I don't have his occupation I'm afraid. Stayed with his aunts the Misses Forbes at Kenmore Street, think thye had a sweetie shop or shop of some kind.

Edit I think they ran a baker confectioner sweet shop s0 possibly a baker?

Mike

I had a look at him in the 1911 census. Aged 14 and still in Ayrshire but occupation not stated..... I think he might be #21 and #22. Will post comparison when I get a chance. Unfortunately one of them a poor copy newspaper image..... Leslie's Directory for 1912 has Miss M. Forbes operating a bakers so makes sense.....

Comparison between the chap in #21 and, admittedly, a poor paper copy image of Atholl Forbes. Not easy but I do think it's him. Comments welcome. @Skipman

comparison.jpg

Edited by dhubthaigh

1 hour ago, dhubthaigh said:

Comparison between the chap in #21 and, admittedly, a poor paper copy image of Atholl Forbes. Not easy but I do think it's him. Comments welcome. @Skipman

comparison.jpg

Yes I think that you’ve matched him well.  You have a good eye for identity line ups.

4 hours ago, dhubthaigh said:

Again, I see a likeness. Anything in the uniform denote a piper?

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Again, I see a likeness. Anything in the uniform denote a piper?

Mike

No there’s nothing connected with piper’s dress.  He’s wearing a standard scarlet full dress doublet rather than piper green.

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

No there’s nothing connected with piper’s dress.  He’s wearing a standard scarlet full dress doublet rather than piper green.

Thank you FROGSMILE

Mike

A fantastic collection. Many thanks for sharing.