Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Black Watch - McIntyre family album

aramsay

At the Glamis Transport Extravaganza July in 2023, I picked up an old family photograph / postcard album from one of the stalls. It appears to concern a McIntyre family from Aberfeldy, around the time of WW1.

Two brothers served in the War, and one post-war in India. The following photos appear to be connected to the 1/6th Black Watch, 1104 James McIntyre serving therein.

Comments and identifications welcome. Note that some of my comments are informed assumptions, so please let me know of any obvious errors !  :-)

First off....two from a pre-war camp.....nothing on the back.

6th BW #1.jpg

Edited by aramsay

Pre-war camp....top / #3....back states "H" Coy. / 6 B.W. at North Queensferry....posted July 1913....signed James McIntyre

#4....nothing on back

6th BW #2.jpg

Edited by aramsay

Pre-war camp scenes....top / #5 states "H" Coy. / 6 B.W. at Monzie by Crieff

Bottom / #6.....nothing on back

6th BW #3.jpg

Edited by aramsay

Good morning Alan. Wow these are fantastic. I recognize a couple so far.

In the third (group) photo, second from left back row is Frederick John Hunter Bett Commissioned Nov 1915

The 4th photograph I think is Willie Hepburn signaller.

Could you maybe number the photographs Alan will help with naming them.

@dhubthaigh might have some thoughts

Mike

@aramsay @Skipman  Correct Mike, 3rd photo posted (group) second left is Frederick John Hunter Bett known as "Ian". The 4th photo (single soldier) is John Stewart No. 1223, Aberfeldy POW 21/03/1918, brother of Barclay James Stewart (M.M.) No. 1520. Will study/compare others.

@aramsay @Skipman The lad to the right of "Ian" Bett (as you look at photograph) is Thomas McDonald No. 1276/265142, Strathtay, missing preumed killed 23/04/1917. Pre-war Territorial (1912) but didn't go out till July 1916.

Edited by dhubthaigh

Thank you for posting and sharing these photographs, they are very interesting to see.  A recognised cognoscenti of the Black Watch is forum member Ron Marsden, who would probably love this album too, but I have not seen him visit here for some time so I hope that all is well. @ronmarsden 

Edited by FROGSMILE

The man highlighted is Donald M. Robertson No. 1298/265153 Callander, Perthshire. Donald survived the war and died in 1984 just short of his 89th birthday.

Robbo Highlighted.jpg

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

but I have not seen him visit here for some time so I hope that all is well.

Ron’s my brother-in-law. I’ll ask him to have a look.

58 DM.

3 hours ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Ron’s my brother-in-law. I’ll ask him to have a look.

58 DM.

That’s good of you, I’m sure that he’ll be interested.  

I have this photograph and a newspaper clip of the photo with some names added, might help identify some.

Mike

Black Watch Forum 1.png

Black Watch Forum 2.jpg

#7.....back blank / #8.....Regimental Police 6th RH to front, back blank

6th BW #4.jpg

Left / #9 ...... postmarked Crieff 22 July, 1912, sent to Aberfeldy ..........right / #10....back blank

6th BW #5.jpg

Is that James McIntyre on the right in number 9. Didn't know he was a piper? He enlisted Feb 1912

Mike

Top / #11....back blank

Bottom / #12.....back inscribed; "Gregor Campbell was killed on 7th January 1916 at Persian Gulf". I reckon this is 2451 L/Cpl. Neil McGregor Campbell, 2nd B.W. I assume one of the lads in the photo is Gregor......

6th BW #6.jpg

"Gregor Campbell was killed on 7th January 1916 at Persian Gulf". I reckon this is 2451 L/Cpl. Neil McGregor Campbell, 2nd B.W."

Neil McGregor Campbell served in the 1st and 2nd Battalions so don't think it is him. I have a photo of Neil will post in a minute.

Mike

5 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Is that James McIntyre on the right in number 9. Didn't know he was a piper? He enlisted Feb 1912

Mike

It does look like him....similar slopey eyebrows. Also, was it not a thing for members of the band to used as Stretcher Bearers ?

This is 2451 Neil McGregor Campbell, as said served 1st and 2nd Battalion KIA Persian Gulf 7th Jan 1916. Not sure who Gregor Campbell would be.

Mike

Neil McGregor Campbell photo Forum.png

Photo # 7. On the left another of John Stewart No. 1223 and it looks like James McIntyre in the slouch hat.

Edited by dhubthaigh

4 minutes ago, dhubthaigh said:

looks like James McIntyre in the slouch hat.

Could be. Any chance number 2 could be John Halliday?

Mike

@Skipman Mike. Do you think the lad in picture # 1 is the same chap shown bottom left in the pre-war H Company group photo? Same long face.... Not identified as I'm aware....

Highlighted.jpg

@Skipman I don't think # 2 is Halliday. I thought this might be him highlighted in the group photo.....

Halliday highlighted.jpg

Edited by dhubthaigh