Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WRNS at Crystal Palace Depot

seaJane

The records of individual Wrens can be downloaded from TNA.

MB

53 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

can be downloaded from TNA.

Thank you. That's fine , once you have a name .

2 hours ago, alf mcm said:

There are 211 pages.

Thank you , have saved Vera s ADM to read later 

My grt.Aunt's  ADM ,from her time at the Admiralty then War Office in the  WRNS  in WW1 , is  edit 70 pages long which is wonderful as it's all about my favourite Aunt and has given me so much information about her  e.g. references written for  her , the recommendations and comments from seniors about her work , home addresses I didnt know about plus some hand written letters by her. Not to mention confidential letters about whether her surname Beseke denoted German heritage . ( the geneologist came to the incorrect conclusion that the family were French / Irish and strongly recommended Maud  for employment at the war office )

Invaluable insights into her life and character  for me.

These ADMs are not like the  RNAS pilots  ADMs which are 2 pages of mainly blank paper - though not to undervalue seeing a summary of war time service  .

Edited by FionaBam
Correction

There is also a one page summary of Vera’s WW1 service, 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C15604861

Her time at Crystal Palace concluded with the signing of the Armistice, after which there were no more Wren recruits to process (Crystal Palace becoming an army demobilisation centre almost overnight). Unfortunately she then caught influenza (Spanish Flu pandemic), during which time Vera received sad news of the death of her much loved younger brother 2/Lt Hubert Laughton who was wounded and gassed on 26 Oct 1918 whilst serving with the 2nd Btn. Worcestershire Regiment. He finally succumbed of his injuries on 26 Nov. 1918 having only been with the battalion since 6th October.

After a brief period of sick leave Vera was posted to Immingham, but her heart was no longer in it and she still wasn’t fully fit, she soon managed to get transferred up to Edinburgh (where her mother lived) and shortly afterwards obtained a medical discharge.

MB