Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need help with identifying this rifle please I know it’s a Enfield 1918 111*

Donald roop

1 hour ago, Donald roop said:

What does the slot mean?

Slot for the magazine cutoff.  

The stock is currently covering where it would be, but it can be viewed from the inside of the action, or by seeing if the boss has been drilled for the cutoff screw.  

I would bet it does not have one.  

The slot would look like this (red circle), with the boss being directly under the bolt head (blue arrow):

IMG_2613.jpeg

1 hour ago, Donald roop said:

What does the slot mean?

Edited by DisasterDog
Double reply

I agree I doubt it has a slot ( I’ve changed my mind!) 

so is this a rifle assembled in 1918 with an Enfield barrel and a BSA receiver 

or a rifle assembled from mixed components in the emergency times of 1940 when BSA was assembling  rifles like mad ( and being bombed)

Chris

If that is an inspection date of ‘40, then it could possibly be an Enfield refurb using the 1918 BSA receiver as a replacement action and mating it to the older barrel due to a lack of new barrels. Whether this did happen in 1940 or earlier, I’m unsure. 

21 minutes ago, Mattr82 said:

If that is an inspection date of ‘40, then it could possibly be an Enfield refurb using the 1918 BSA receiver as a replacement action and mating it to the older barrel due to a lack of new barrels. Whether this did happen in 1940 or earlier, I’m unsure. 

I Agree.

I think by 1940 all Rifle No1 Production had switched to BSA and BSA Smallheath (and later the Dispersal program) and Enfield had stopped producing No1s (although they may have still been doing refurbs/inspections), so if it was done at Enfield I suspect earlier in the inter-war period (possibly immediately post WWI as production wound down?), but if it was inspected in '40 at least we have a "no later than date" - I suppose we have narrowed it down to sometime between 1918 and 1940:D

Still slightly surprised that the bolt is unnumbered. While I have seen plenty of mismatched rifles and renumbered bolts where the rear of the handle has been machined and re-numbered - I don't know I have seen a blank one with no numbers.

Edited by 4thGordons
afterthought

OK! good.... and it matches too - better!

Chris