Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need help with identifying this rifle please I know it’s a Enfield 1918 111*

Donald roop

Welcome to the forum!

As you know it’s a Sht LE MkIII* I am not sure what you are looking for here.

If you could be more specific on what you want to know I’m sure there will be people who can help.

Chris

So just guessing and trying to add a bit more:

The rifle was manufactured by BSA Co  - the Birmingham Small Arms Company

It is a Short, Magazine Lee Enfield Mark III* (mark three star) produced in 1918

BSA produced approximately 345,000 MkIII* rifles in 1918

The serial number of the rifle is U6644 - this is slightly interesting because the (now quite dated, and probably incomplete) list of observed serial numbers does not include U for 1918 - this probably just means it is missing from the observations rather than anything else). The same number should appear on the rear of the bolt handle and the underside of the rear sight, also on the bayonet boss below the muzzle. If it is present in all those places that is a big plus.

The other stampings you show are all standard inspection and proof marks as far as I can see.

Chris

Chris, I was thinking that the barrel could possibly be a pre-1925 replacement. The action would have taken on the new barrel serial number if that was the case.

3 minutes ago, Mattr82 said:

Chris, I was thinking that the barrel could possibly be a pre-1925 replacement. The action would have taken on the new barrel serial number if that was the case.

Possibly - yes. Should be a date on the other side perhaps @Donald roop could check. No obvious sign of renumbering on action although difficult to tell in pics. I think in my experience (limited) renumbering is done with a strike-out rather than a complete erasure but......

Chris

@Donald roop please check the barrel date when you can mate and let us know.

I have 4 rifles that have been through the Brit ordnance system and have been rebarreled pre-1925. They’ve been scrubbed of original serial numbers. I think I’ve posted them on here before.

4 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Welcome to the forum!

If you could be more specific on what you want to know I’m sure there will be people who can help.

Chris

Was just wondering what the numbers meant there are no numbers on the bolt that I can see IMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.pngIMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.pngIMG_1191.jpeg.5601e0235f4922559b8727009c0c4090.jpegIMG_1383.png.cf5768186aeffdf1ab76a35bf8e4db31.pngIMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.pngIMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.pngIMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.png

4 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Welcome to the forum!

Chris

IMG_1191.jpeg.5601e0235f4922559b8727009c0c4090.jpegIMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.pngIMG_1381.png.1c494295f8eb29da413fe2460199501b.png

I don’t see any Dates on the other side 

Later I will take it apart and look on the bottom side 

It should be on the left hand side of the barrel near where it meets the receiver like in this photo.

IMG_7646.jpeg

• kenf48 changed the title to I need help with identifying this rifle please I know it’s a Enfield 1918 111*
7 hours ago, Mattr82 said:

It should be on the left hand side of the barrel near where it meets the receiver like in this photo.

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7646.jpeg

11 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Possibly - yes. Should be a date on the other side perhaps @Donald roop could check. No obvious sign of renumbering on action although difficult to tell in pics. I think in my experience (limited) renumbering is done with a strike-out rather than a complete erasure but......

IMG_7646.jpeg

Chris

Is that a '12 ? or an '18? I'm on my phone and cannot make it out.

Interesting if it is a '12!

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

That, plus the Enfield Inspection stamps (crown over E over inspector's number) that this is either a much earlier Enfield produced rifle that has been remanufactured at BSA or an early Enfield barrel fitted to BSA body in 1918.

U was used by both factories around 1912 IIRC

If you look at the right side of the rifle - is there a slot (for a cutoff) machined into it? This would probably tell us - a receiver manufactured in 1912 would have one whereas a BSA manufactured in 1918 probably would not.

A couple of overall views of the rifle would be good.

Chris

3 minutes ago, Donald roop said:

I bought it a yard sell for 30 bucks 

A functional Enfield, even if incomplete/sporterized,  for $30 is an incredible price even if incomplete. My first Enfield was a 1917 Lithgow from a Rose's dept store in GA and it cost $35 in 1994 and that was a bargain even then!

Chris

Thanks- so it has been "sporterized" that isn't the original forestock. Very common to see. Originally it would have had wood top and bottom all the way to the muzzle. 

BTW your rifle is cocked (which makes me nervous even in pictures)! If you hold the trigger down while you close the bolt you can close it without cocking the rifle.

You are welcome. 

Chris

One last question - view of the side so we can see if there is a slot in the receiver? (I'm betting yes!)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
typo correction

Is that a '4(?) stamped next to the safety? what is the second digit?

This would be a WWII reissue stamp.

Chris