Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1806 AM2 / Sgt Arthur M Morgan RFC/ RAF (MT Driver)

Clive ex RAF plumber

1 minute ago, Keith_history_buff said:

For completeness, here is a reproduction of the promotions table of his service record card, copyright of, and courtesy of Ancestry, archive reference AIR 79/24/1806

AIR 79 24 1806.JPG

Thanks Keith my subscription with ancestry has expired and I wasn't able to get a copy of his service record.  I've certainly learnt a lot from the very knowledgeable people on the Great War Forum if only I could link him to 6 Squadron.  Many thanks Clive

This thread on drivers on higher rates of pay and the ASC may be of interest. When I looked into a driver, I found that he was quickly sent to France after enlistment. They needed his skills right away, and there was no need to spend time on drill and the like in an extended period of training.

I came across one ASC Driver who was in France thirteen days after enlistment.

3 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I came across one ASC Driver who was in France thirteen days after enlistment.

Definitely a severe shortage of drivers and transport in the early days of the war the RFC had to commandeer transport which went to France with the civilian advertising still on them and I can remember reading in 'Samsons Dunkirk Circus'? of London Transport sending omnibuses and volunteer drivers straight to France the drivers were then if they wanted signed up into the ASC.  We obviously don't believe in being prepared. Regards Clive  

As I understand it, whilst the ASC were paying extra to drivers, the RNAS approach for their Armoured Car division was promotion to Petty Officer Mechanic and its associated higher pay for those who could drive a vehicle and repair it.

I've not been able to get any details on the latterday equivalent of the "gentlemen volunteer", albeit with their own automobile. These appear on the Admiralty 1914 Star medal roll performing the driver duty on a temporary basis, and subsequently obtain a commission in the RNVR or similar.

Shane Randolph CHRISTOPHER was a member of the wealthier echelons of society in 1914. He appears on the medal roll as a driver. He was briefly commissioned, then became a civilian, to contribute to the war effort.
https://www.thepeerage.com/p23558.htm

8 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

As I understand it, whilst the ASC were paying extra to drivers, the RNAS approach for their Armoured Car division was promotion to Petty Officer Mechanic and its associated higher pay for those who could drive a vehicle and repair it.

I've not been able to get any details on the latterday equivalent of the "gentlemen volunteer", albeit with their own automobile. These appear on the Admiralty 1914 Star medal roll performing the driver duty on a temporary basis, and subsequently obtain a commission in the RNVR or similar.

I would highly recommend 'Samsons Dunkirk Circus' for information on the RNAS Armoured Cars I posted a query on the Great War Forum on 3 Squadron RNAS back in July 2023 called I believe Samsons Dunkirk Circus and the information I received off Forum members was fantastic, there were two books recommended to me which I read and which were truly informative on this early stage in the war and the role of the RNAS in France / Belgium.