Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F. DUNBAR - Pte 1382 Lanarkshire Yeomanry and Pte 43450 12th Bn HLI

Tom Lang

Tom,

I will try again when I get back home in a couple of weeks.

I still feel we have enough to crack this, but will take a bit of time to get the cross references correct

39 minutes ago, corisande said:

Tom,

I will try again when I get back home in a couple of weeks.

I still feel we have enough to crack this, but will take a bit of time to get the cross references correct

Thank you Sir!

Tom

Your last post now makes the recipient of the medals look like a Mr. Milligan rather than Mrs. Milligan. If it is any consolation, at least you are not looking for someone with Smith as a surname. 

Douglas

Could the name be Jas. Milligan as the recipient of the medals?

14 minutes ago, Theletterwriter said:

Tom

Your last post now makes the recipient of the medals look like a Mr. Milligan rather than Mrs. Milligan. If it is any consolation, at least you are not looking for someone with Smith as a surname. 

Douglas

Yes, now that you mention it - but a search of Census records for Mr. Milligan might lead to Mrs. Milligan. BDM records would help to identify her. There are just too many Milligans in Glasgow...

Tom.

3 minutes ago, Theletterwriter said:

Could the name be Jas. Milligan as the recipient of the medals?

I suppose so, but the search for 'Milligan' in the Census would determine this - there are just too many in the City of Glasgow.

Tom.

Tom

I am having trouble attaching an image from Scotlands People but I may have found a link between the Milligan and Whitelaw family. From the marriage certificate of 1894, Mary Milligan's mother is listed as Jane McEwan previously Milligan m.s. McBurney.

There is a death certificate of an Eliza Jane Whitelaw on 6 June 1916 at Netherburn, Dalserf. She was recorded as being 1. married to Andrew Milligan copper work labourer and 2. James Whitelaw retired labourer. She was 77 years old at the time of her death and her father was John McBurney.

I believe the NoK recorded previously on Frank Dunbar's paperwork may have been Eliza Jane Whitelaw who was his grandmother. This may also be why her name had been scrubbed as she had already died at the time of Frank Dunbar's death.

Douglas 

2 hours ago, Theletterwriter said:

Tom

I am having trouble attaching an image from Scotlands People but I may have found a link between the Milligan and Whitelaw family. From the marriage certificate of 1894, Mary Milligan's mother is listed as Jane McEwan previously Milligan m.s. McBurney.

There is a death certificate of an Eliza Jane Whitelaw on 6 June 1916 at Netherburn, Dalserf. She was recorded as being 1. married to Andrew Milligan copper work labourer and 2. James Whitelaw retired labourer. She was 77 years old at the time of her death and her father was John McBurney.

I believe the NoK recorded previously on Frank Dunbar's paperwork may have been Eliza Jane Whitelaw who was his grandmother. This may also be why her name had been scrubbed as she had already died at the time of Frank Dunbar's death.

Douglas 

I believe that this is the link we've been looking for.
Please allow me a few minutes to put together my conclusion, and I will get back to you promptly.

Well Done!

Tom.

5 hours ago, Theletterwriter said:

Tom

Douglas 

Here's my conclusion.
---------------------
ANDREW MILLIGAN, b ~1832 in Ireland.
JANE McBURNIE (sic), b ~1839 in Ireland.
ANDREW MILLIGAN and JANE McBURNIE were married in Ireland ~1863?

MARY ANN MILLIGAN was born ~1864 in Ireland.
ANDREW DUNBAR, was born ~1864 at Partick, Glasgow.

ANDREW MILLIGAN died on 19 Dec 1874 at 114 King Street, Glasgow.

JANE MILLIGAN nee McBURNET (sic) married JOHN McEWEN (sic) on 13 Jul 1879 at Glasgow.

ANDREW DUNBAR and MARY ANN MILLIGAN were married on 4 Jan 1894 in Partick, Glasgow.

FRANCIS JOSEPH DUNBAR was born on 3 Oct 1896, at 43 Wilson Street, Partick, Glasgow.

The 1901 PARTICK, GLASGOW, Census was taken on 31 Mar 1901.
The family are listed at 43 Wilson Street, Partick, Glasgow, as follows:
ANDREW DUNBAR, age 36, Head, Shipyard Labourer, b Partick, Glasgow.
MARY A. DUNBAR, age 36, Wife, b Ireland.
FRANCIS J. DUNBAR, age 4, Son, b Partick, Glasgow.

On 27 Dec 1908, his father ANDREW DUNBAR, age 41, died at 78 Anderson Street, Partick, Glasgow.
FRANK DUNBAR was age 11.

The 1911 Census was taken on 2 Apr 1911.
In PARTICK, GLASGOW:
FRANK and his mother are listed at:
108 Douglas Street, Partick, Glasgow:
MARY DUNBAR, age 48, Widow, Head, b Ireland.
FRANCIS DUNBAR, age 14, Son, Paste Boy, b Partick, Glasgow.
In NETHERBURN, Parish of Dalserf:
JAMES WHITELAW, age 65, Head, Colliery Labourer, b Ireland.
JANE WHITELAW, age 73, Wife, b Ireland.

On 25 Aug 1914, his mother MARY MILLIGAN or DUNBAR, age 52, died at 167 Renfrew Road, Glasgow, (her 'former residence' was 11 Newton Street, Partick, Glasgow).
FRANK DUNBAR was age 17.

His maternal grandmother ELIZA JANE WHITELAW or MILLIGAN nee McBURNEY (sic), age 77, died on 6 Jun 1916 at NETHERBURN, Parish of Dalserf.
Her death was reported by her husband JAMES WHITELAW.

I think it is fair to conclude that after the death of his mother on 25 Aug 1914, FRANK DUNLOP:
EITHER
Moved with his maternal grandparents to NETHERBURN,
OR
Joined the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, and used their address as his NoK.

Either way, this establishes his 'connection' to the Village of NETHERBURN, and explains why his name appears on both the Dalserf and Netherburn War Memorials.

Many, many thanks to all.
Tom.

15 - 1911 Netherburn Census snippet.jpg

16 - 1916 death record snippet JANE WHITELAW.jpg