Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Bassee October 13th 1914 Dorests

Terry Keech

Terry

Thank you, Walter has no grave he is commerated with the Dorset's at the La Touret memorial.

Malcolm 

Malcolm,

Jack's name is at the La Touret memorial, We will read his name and pay our respects.

Kind regards 

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Malcolm et Al

Both Joseph and I recently returned from our trip to discover more about Jack Keech 6996 Dorsetshire regiment at La Bassee. 

The trip was very moving and incredibly interesting, and with the help of all your information and photos,  made a very real connection for our family.

We managed to trace the last 5 days of Jack's movements, through northern France, and stood at or very near the place he and his comrades so bravely fought. We also paid our respects to Walter Linham and the many other Dorsetshire soldiers who so bravely gave their lives in that terrible conflict. 

We will be travelling out again on the anniversary on 13th October 2024 (110 years), and will visit Windy Corner, and Brown's Road cemeteries again, as kindly advised by you guys, to lay a wreath for an unknown soldier just like Jack.

Thanks again for all your help, this has started a new interest for my myself and the family.

Kindest Regards 

Terry Keech20240314_134349.jpg.7f773a2a2a9f6d185e7c412c91fd2c5b.jpg20240314_162534.jpg.690d189bb510d44f963bbadf0c36ff8f.jpg

20240314_173215.jpg

20240314_140057.jpg

• Admin

I’ve been wondering how you got on. Looks like you had a very rewarding trip. Good to see my second favourite tree on the Western Front is looking healthy too! 

Terry 

Thank you for the update and photographs,  glad you enjoyed your trip.

Malcolm 

Michelle 

It was a great trip, and thanks for the advice on 'adopting' an unknown soldier as a way of marking a memory. We found G.Dawkins in Brown's Road cemetery alongside 3 other unknown graves from the same date (information given on this forum) and have adopted one of these ( well all three). We also found John Reginald Turner (Dorsetshire regiment) at Windy Corner and paid our respects.

Thanks again

Terry and Joseph 

• Admin

You’ve got the bug Terry. No going back now. 

8 hours ago, Terry Keech said:

Malcolm 

We also took these photos

20240314_135652.jpg

20240314_134349.jpg

20240314_134222.jpg

Terry 

Thank you very much for paying your respects to Walter.

Malcolm