Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Ingenieur officers with Kress 1915

stevenbecker

11 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Your very good at this.

Thank you Steve but I cannot conjure up what is not there ;)

As far as I can ascertain, there were just two officers with the name Biedenweg serving in WW1, both Leutnants der Reserve:

Emil in Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 17 (22.4.14)
(Hans?)  in Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 5 (11.2.18)

The only Erwin Birk is the Leutnant der Reserve (6.2.16) commissioned in Feld-Flieger-Abteilung 11. He may have served prior or subsequently in theatre.

There is an Ernst (Not Ernest) Blaschke (23.11.15), a signals officer commissioned into Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr. 5

As Herr Wolf is not forthcoming on his sources for the names table it is not possible to double-check his information.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers Mate,

Yes a problem with his book I've run into before

The spelling and such are all over his Great work, but its a start.

It also maybe a problem with translation by others

Steve,

agreed; the next time I visit Germany I will check out the original German language edition.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

I did find this bloke 

image.png.0e5aec523b3ea9154ba80832d8f9703e.png

possibly the KUK Engineer officer captured by 9 LHR in April 1916 during the Jiff Jaffa Raid in Sinai 23-4-16

There appears to be a number of unknown KUK Engineer officers around the place

The Kadett/Fähnrich or maybe in line with your earlier statement that he was not a full officer yet?

There was also

image.png.9cdf5df4eb72f6e6aa52be781547e60e.png

(1884 at Falkenau an der Eger died 2-12-57) KUK Artilleriestab awarded Military Merit Cross and Military Merit Medal and Karl Troop Cross and Ottoman War Medal to Gen-Maj Austrian Bundesheer 1938 later WWII 75th Div 1939-42 to Gen-Lt 190th Div 11-42 to 4-45 PoW 4-45 

Anyway I'll keep at it

Edited by stevenbecker

Charlie,

Interesting, not the first time I saw the word civilian used for these engineers around the place.

image.png.19daf19eddec29aff578d3b80ff646fb.png

(1852 at Fiume DoD 8-5-17) Krankheit (illness) Fleckfieber (typhus) listed on Memorial at Evangelischer Cemetery Damascus Syrien

8 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Interesting, not the first time I saw the word civilian used for these engineers around the place.

Steve,

that would agree with the fact that Eberlein is listed neither in the wartime K.u.K. nor K.K. Landwehr Ranglisten. Unlike their German counterparts, aspirant officers still in senior non-commissioned rank were included in the army lists.

Ernst Hammer had the educational qualification as an "Ingenieur" but was not an engineer officer. As you note above, he was an artillery officer, ultimately transferring in to the artillery staff on 1 May 1916.

Regards

Glenn

I might have missed something here. Josef Eberlein is shown as an Oberleutnant in my last post. The „civilian“ ICRC records show him as a member of the Landsturm. I suggest that his classification as a civilian was an administrative error.

Charlie

IMG_5200.jpeg

Mates,

All adds to the puzzle

image.png.3e4548079eb7bfb9ce3ee31ddabb7e60.png

No dates for his service in Turkey possibly out of our time frame?

I went throw the Ranglisten des Kaiserlichen und Königlichen Heeres 1918 but again no hits on any names

7 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

I went throw the Ranglisten des Kaiserlichen und Königlichen Heeres 1918 but again no hits on any names

Steve,

and therein lies a problem with the pesky "Austrians"; that particular Rangliste would not list members of the K.K. Landwehr, K.K. Landsturm or K.U. Honvéd!

Regards

Glenn

Cheers mate.

I did wonder about these Engineer officers on Wolf's lists.

image.png.b2894a64f95459eca3934b11f8c983dc.png

image.png.206fe446c80d06c86a3efeb54f3777bc.png

image.png.de18c82875bdb069aeee817ed9ee7cee.png

image.png.206fb18725e242f774eac18786692f7e.png

Steve,

there were two regular Hauptmänner with the surname Günther in the Prussian Engineer and Pioneer branch in 1914. However, I believe the Günther in question is Adolf Günther, formerly of Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 19. In addition, he had colonial experience, having also served in German South West Africa before the war and commanded a Pionier-Bataillon. The other Günther was employed on fortress duties.

I will see if I can do anything with the others.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

The sole Prussian army officer with the surname Jamme was Paul Jamme, commissioned into the Kraftfahr-Bataillon (i.e. transport branch) on 19 December 1916 as a Leutnant der Reserve.

There were no officers of that name in the Bavarian, Saxon or Württemberg contingents nor the navy.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers mate,

Yes possibly another translation error

On checking I did find this man

image.png.f7fc0c4fa61fdd08d2fef98843a69ef4.png

(1891 at Lemberg KIA?) KUK from Feldartillerieregiment No 117  led Austro-Hungarian sabotage of the British oil facilities in Jamsa Egypt 2-15 later dispatched on another secret mission in the Balkans from which he did not return

image.png.202d5619120b21d00c5ed4f27ed32b74.png

(not identified) unknown who he was?

Edited by stevenbecker

14 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

On checking I did find this man

image.png.f7fc0c4fa61fdd08d2fef98843a69ef4.png

(1891 at Lemberg KIA?) KUK from Feldartillerieregiment No 117  led Austro-Hungarian sabotage of the British oil facilities in Jamsa Egypt 2-15 later dispatched on another secret mission in the Balkans from which he did not return

Steve,

I am a little confused by this one; An Ingenieuroberaspirant is a Kaiserlichemarine i.e. German navy rank. In your notes below there is mention of Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 117 (which I understand was a late war formation).

A passible candidate (if artillery) was one einjährig-freiwilliger Vormeister Georg Gondos of Feldkanonenregiment Nr. 20 who received the Golden Bravery Medal on 1 June 1915. I can find no record of subsequent commissioning.

Regards

Glenn

Yes strange one indeed.

The term Engineer may be his civilian Trade, not in the KUK as he is shown a number of times as an Engineer?

He is shown in the Offical History (Turkish) as a Res Capt possibly a later award or Honoury to officer, as I found no such rank for him?

I'll have to double check but I am sure I saw his name in the Ranglist, where he is shown with the FA No 117 (as you say possibly a later prom to that Regt)?

I shown he was made Lt deR in Oct 1915?

And the above also comes from the Articale by Emre Sara on the Austro-Hungarian Artillery in Turkey

he showns

"The Austro-Hungarian troops took part in the Suez campaign and defence of Gaza between 1916 and 1918 respectively. Activities of a special detachment, which sabotaged strategic facilities of the enemy forces, should first be mentioned.A reserve officer Georg Gondos, an engineer, and Dr. Paul Michael Simon voluntarily raided military locations around the Suez Canal such as springs, oil beds, and aerodromes with the help of 50 Turkish civil fighters and 10 Turkish soldiers in the first months of 1915. These acts of sabotage significantly paved the way for the Suez campaign of the Ottoman Army."

Another site Austro Hungarian units in the Ottoman Empire, shows

Group of EF (Officer aspirant) Georg Gondos Commando raid against Gemsah

and

Georg Gondos, a Jewish citizen of Lemberg born in 1891, was employed prior to World War I as a foreman in the Jamsa oil installations on the Egyptian shore of the Gulf of Suez, which served as a fueling station for the British navy. At the outbreak of war he escaped to Vienna and enlisted in the Austrian army. When the Ottoman Empire entered the war on the side of the Central Powers, Gondos volunteered to participate in a commando raid in the Middle East intended to destroy the Jamsa oil facilities. After the failure of his first attempt to reach Jamsa by sea, he changed his plan. The Turkish command put a detachment of soldiers and beduin volunteers at his disposal with whom he crossed the Sinai Peninsula and conquered the town of Abu Tor at the southern tip of the peninsula opposite Jamsa. The operation succeded beyond expectation: Abu Tor was evacuated by the British officers, their Egyptian soldiers, and the civilian population after a few days of battle despite their superiority in manpower and the presence of British ships. Since no suitable craft was found in the harbor, Gondos had to advance to the northern anchorage of Abu Zneima. This place too was captured and a suitable vessel found, in which he sailed for Jamsa. He overcame the British guards, demolished the oil installations, and returned safely to Abu Tor. For his successful operation Gondos received a distinguished decoration and was promoted to Reserve-Officer rank by the Austrian army. Later he was dispatched on another secret mission in the Balkans from which he did not return.

Edited by stevenbecker

Steve,

having said I could find no record of promotion to commissioned rank (having consulted the personnel occurrence's in the k.u.k. Verordnungsblatt of which their is no mention), I double-checked the k.u.k. Rangliste of 1916. Listed under Feldhaubitzregiment Nr. 17 (formerly Feldkanonenregiment Nr.20 and later Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 117)  and there was our man; Leutnant der Reserve Georg Gondos. Listed immediately below him is Leutnant der Reserve Dr. jur. Michael Simon. Both of these gentlemen were commissioned with seniority of 1 October 1915. Interestingly, Leutnant Gondos' Golden Bravery Medal is not shown after him name. Similar to Gondos, Simon's commissioning is not gazetted either! These two are shown below in the right hand column towards the bottom of the page.

In the 1918 edition, Gondos is still listed complete with Golden Bravery Medal and Dr. Simon is now an Oberleutnant (1.11.17).

Regards

Glenn

Gondos_Simon.jpg.8c00fcfcc467582316746b4c11325c06.jpg

Edited by Glenn J

55 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

Interestingly, Leutnant Gondos' Golden Bravery Medal is not shown after him name. Similar to Gondos, Simon's commissioning is not gazetted either! These two are shown below in the right hand column towards the bottom of the page.

In the 1918 edition, Gondos is still listed complete with Golden Bravery Medal and Dr. Simon is now an Oberleutnant (1.11.17).

When was the 1916 list published? I guess it could take some time before promotion and medal award were cleared for something done in October 1915.

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

When was the 1916 list published? I guess it could take some time before promotion and medal award were cleared for something done in October 1915.

Hi Jan,

it was current as at 5 April 1916.

Regards

Glenn

I did my checking with Ranglisten des Kaiserlichen und Königlichen Heeres 1918 so those details are there

Pages 1076 & 1213 shows ObLt Dr Simon with a large number of awards with FAR 117 (awarded Militärverdienstmedaille Silver & Bronze & Tapferkeitsmedaille Silver 1 class & Karl Truppenkreuz)

While Gondos is shown pages 1080 & 1213 with his one award

Edited by stevenbecker

On 11/01/2024 at 20:54, stevenbecker said:

Another site Austro Hungarian units in the Ottoman Empire, shows

Group of EF (Officer aspirant) Georg Gondos Commando raid against Gemsah

Steve,

it was bugging me that I could not find the order promoting Gondos and Simon, then I realised there is a third name index in 1915!

"In recognition of commendable and meritorious service before the enemy: accelerated promotion to lieutenants"

Regards

Glenn

Gondos.jpg.fb026175487073ed13df6aa17bb33b10.jpg

Mate,

While not engineers, as far as I know?

These three men poped up with Kress during that time Ottoman 4th Army attach Canel Expedition 2-15

Welsch and Lindemann and Sprotte

While Welsch is well known, the other two are not?

image.png.1aa73f5731af8c1d23dd6ad7eaf305b3.png

(born at Kissingen Unterfr died 26-3-39) leicht verwundet (minor wound) WIA 9-1-16 shrapnel watching British force retreat near Sedd el Bahr at Helles (mentioned in book by Kannengiesser) - Liste 1 der in türkischen Diensten stehenden Bayerischen Offiziere, Unteroffiziere und Mannschaften Ex Bavarian Rittmeister Sqn/Bayerisches Chevaulegers Regiment "Taxis" No 2 1913 mentioned in book by Kress (shown 2ic Cavalry school at Hayderpasa 1914 (with lauffer) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book 

Do you have any details on Lindemann and Sprotte?

Steve,

nothing concrete yet. I have encountered a couple of fellows by the name of Sprotte, one a Prussian medical officer and a Saxon Leutnant der Reserve but nothing yet which ties them to Kreß. Lindemann is a no-hoper without some steer regarding rank or position.

Regards

Glenn