Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is This A Genuine Mons Star?

cabbell2207

he was issued a 14 star, should have a clasp, initially returned but reissued.

the clasps are the more "reproduced" items, various size holes and script. the stars, if faked, are normally the later WW2 ones, around the suspension loop . If the general feeling is , as this one looks, worn, then I would say its ok. Sharp points, indistinct leaves would point to copies.

Looks alright to me. Light striking of the ‘R’ in Gunner (GNR).

Worth a post on the British Medal Forum too.

58 DM.

Looks ok. Doesn't seem to be a casualty so unless he did something special worth £50 - £60.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

I would say it is authentic. 

That '14 star is good. Worn but good.

Looks good but I can see why you question whether those knocks on the back are perhaps artificial ageing.

Incidentally this man has an April 1918 Hospital admission showing he was then with X.7 Medium Trench Mortar Battery, with 7th Divisional Artillery.

Quite a survivor, particularly if latterly serving trench mortars! 

Sorry to disagree with you all but it looks like a copy which has been aged, have a look at the swords which show a lot of wear which isn't visible elsewhere on the obverse.  Really hope I'm wrong.  Kind Regards Clive 

From a closer look the Aug, Nov and 1914 scrolls are spot on so I am changing my mind and would now say it is genuine. Kind Regards Clive

42 minutes ago, cabbell2207 said:

charlie962 thank you, that's great information. How would I go about getting ahold of his 1918 hospital admission records?

On Findmypast, where you will see the original record.

ForcesWarRecords had previously transcribed all these but did not let you see the original, which I think is a must.  (Anyone know if this has changed since it's absorption by Ancestry?)

Hello Philb,

Honestly my gut feeling was that it was ok. I'm relatively new to 1914 Mons stars and really didn't really know what to look for as to a genuine or a reproduction and just wanted to be sure. I looked at others on the net and discovered there seem to be some small subtle differences with the stars and this kind of confused me (not hard to do ***). Were there various manufacturers of the 1914 stars authorized by the crown?  

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Why do you suspect it might not be genuine, cabbell?

Hi cabbell,  Please see my latest comments on the authenticity of the 1914 Star, I initially thought (and you know what thought did) the 'swords' didn't look right.  I subsequently checked the medal closely against my grandfathers 1914 Star which is 100% genuine and I am now certain the 1914 Star in question is also 100% genuine sorry for any confusion I may have caused.  Kind Regard Clive 

no clive ex raf, please no need to be sorry, i appreciate all comments sir. You have created no confusion. i feel everyone's opinion and help is valuable.  

I tend to keep away from the following.

WW1 /2 Iron cross   1st or 2nd class..   too many copies, very good ones but multiple makers originally, now being remade in the Eastern Bloc. The money in German medals is in the paperwork as medals un named as issued.

WW2 British Stars. these were copied look for suspension rings, flat back, the Air Crew Europe is the dearest and for that reason faked. the rest, if I want to make up a group I buy original as cheap enough rather than buy newly made.  the biggest offender here is the medal slips. Many boxes available and slips on ebay to enhance cheap medals.

thats the extent of my purchase power, the BMF has more info from other medals.

But, the biggest sin is buying erased WW1 British medals, there are enough cheaper copies to use as fillers, or use an original but keep a record of the name incase someone else wants it. Buying erased encourages others to do the same,

On 20/12/2023 at 16:29, cabbell2207 said:

How would I go about getting ahold of his 1918 hospital admission records?

Please see attached image - his entry is the last one on the page (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Odger.jpg