Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal - 40592 John William Fisher 10th Battalion Essex Regiment

MegJ

1 hour ago, Chris_Baker said:

Don't forget that a name usually appeared in the casualty list around a month after he was wounded.

Ahh brilliant, thanks for letting me know. He was awarded his MM for action on 22nd October so I guess there’s a chance he could’ve been injured then? 

5 hours ago, MegJ said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your help. I’ve been able to carry out some more research and have tracked down his obituary. In it it does mention the military medal but also says that he was mentioned in despatches. I’ve found a selection of these on the gazette website but was wondering if anyone knew if there was another source or quicker way of finding him or if I simply need to go through each one that may be relevant.

The page of the Casualty List you want is here – right hand column about half-way down. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194148433

There no other ranks of the Essex Regiment shown as killed in the same section of the casualty list so no rough guide as to when he might have been wounded. However as there are only four men of the Essex reported wounded, (and no dead), I suspect that unless the names were previously missed \ not received by the records office then the wounding happened later than the attack at Poelcappelle.

Mentions in Despatches are not as grand or as informative as they sound. His name will be jut one on a very long list, with no indication of why he is there. At best the period and geography the despatch itself covers will give you a rough period and place it relates to – but bear in mind sometimes names were actually carried forward from a previous despatch. Reading through the Despatch itself unfortunately won’t help you. If he did receive a Mention in Despatches he would also be entitled to an emblem to wear on one of his medal ribbons. There is nothing on the front of either of his Medal Index Cards, (one for his 14/15 Star, one for his Victory Medal & British War Medal), to indicate an emblem was issued.

Not spotting anything in the National Archive in the way of a separate card to suggest he was Mentioned in Despatches. How bona fides is the obituary – for example this wouldn’t be the first time a brigade \ divisional mention in daily orders, usually accompanied by a certificate, had been confused with a Mention in the Despatch prepared in the name of the Commander in Chief of the British Expeditionary Force, (or any of the other Theatre Commanders).

Cheers,
Peter

13 hours ago, PRC said:

The page of the Casualty List you want is here – right hand column about half-way down. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194148433

There no other ranks of the Essex Regiment shown as killed in the same section of the casualty list so no rough guide as to when he might have been wounded. However as there are only four men of the Essex reported wounded, (and no dead), I suspect that unless the names were previously missed \ not received by the records office then the wounding happened later than the attack at Poelcappelle.

Mentions in Despatches are not as grand or as informative as they sound. His name will be jut one on a very long list, with no indication of why he is there. At best the period and geography the despatch itself covers will give you a rough period and place it relates to – but bear in mind sometimes names were actually carried forward from a previous despatch. Reading through the Despatch itself unfortunately won’t help you. If he did receive a Mention in Despatches he would also be entitled to an emblem to wear on one of his medal ribbons. There is nothing on the front of either of his Medal Index Cards, (one for his 14/15 Star, one for his Victory Medal & British War Medal), to indicate an emblem was issued.

Not spotting anything in the National Archive in the way of a separate card to suggest he was Mentioned in Despatches. How bona fides is the obituary – for example this wouldn’t be the first time a brigade \ divisional mention in daily orders, usually accompanied by a certificate, had been confused with a Mention in the Despatch prepared in the name of the Commander in Chief of the British Expeditionary Force, (or any of the other Theatre Commanders).

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you very much Peter. Unfortunately anyone who would’ve been involved in the obituary are no longer with us. It is possible that they may have made a mistake though especially as he spoke so little about his time in the War.

Thanks again 

Megan