Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SYMONS Albert Henry - RM's Service No 16662

Lexus

Hi,

I am looking for some information about Albert Henry Symons.

He enlisted 19 May 1914 as a bugler in London as a 14 yo following in the footsteps of his father who was invalided out of the RM;s in 1901 due to phithisis and died in 1902.

Henry's service record, see attached, refers to his trade as a "Greenwich School Boy", He appears to have moved around in that he has about 20 entries under Divisions.  He progressed through the ranks was discharged "D. D." on the 10th of June 1937 with the rank of Colour Sergeant.

As a bugler he appears to have quite a bit of activity with regards to Gunnery and Field Training, would I be correct in thinking that he progressed from being a bugler?

From his service record can somebody let me know the detail of his overseas service, he was awarded the 1914-1915 Star as well as the British War & Victory medals.

One other question that may or not be allowed in this forum - how would I find his location in the 1921 Census, his service record has him at Plymouth Division from the 3rd of June 1921 to the 28th of June 1921, Census was taken on the 19th of June.

As always, any information will be most appreciated.

Than you 

SYMONS Albert Henry - Royal Marine Service No 16662.jpg

1 hour ago, Lexus said:

As a bugler he appears to have quite a bit of activity with regards to Gunnery and Field Training, would I be correct in thinking that he progressed from being a bugler?

From his service record can somebody let me know the detail of his overseas service, he was awarded the 1914-1915 Star as well as the British War & Victory medals.

One other question that may or not be allowed in this forum - how would I find his location in the 1921 Census, his service record has him at Plymouth Division from the 3rd of June 1921 to the 28th of June 1921.

As a Boy Bugler on HMS Columbella from Nov 1914 to Oct 1916 he would not have done much in the way of gunnery or field training. His role onboard would have been administrative in relation to ship's routine - everything from blowing reveille in the morning, sounding action stations if/when required, and daily colours and sunset ceremonial when in harbour (and many other bugle calls in between). His ship was part of the 10th Cruiser Squadron, based up in the north of Scotland, whose primary purpose was to enforce the maritime blockade of Germany.

Later on, from March 17 to Dec 18 he served aboard HMS Blake which was a depot ship for Grand Fleet destroyers at Scapa Flow.

According to his service sheet he spent almost the entire month of June 1921 in Plymouth, probably refreshing his infantry skills prior to deployment with the 8th Bn (who I believe were assisting with transitioning arrangements over in Ireland).

As for promotions, as you say, he initially enlisted as a Bugle Boy, and remained in that role up until going to Deal at the beginning of of 1919 (now as an adult) becoming a Marine Private. He was promoted to Corporal whilst serving in HMS Carafoc in Oct 1926, picked up his third stripe in 1931, and ended becoming a Colour-Sargent in 1937.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

2 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

to Deal at the beginning of of 1919 (now as an adult) becoming a Marine Private.

More accurately, he was promoted from bugler RMLI to private RMLI. He did not become a marine until March 1923, when the RMLI and RMA were merged to become the Corps of Royal Marines.

4 hours ago, Lexus said:

he was awarded the 1914-1915 Star as well as the British War & Victory medals.

They were issued to him while serving at HQ Plymouth Division RMLI in 1920 and 1922. He was also awarded the Royal Navy Long Service and Good Conduct (LS&GC) Medal in October 1932 after 15 years service as a man.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy) holds in its archive an Attestation Pack of papers for SYMONS. These should range from first attestation to discharge with much in between (e.g. Company Conduct Sheets). There should also be details of the  cause of his Discharge Dead DD) of disease in 1937.

A fine record of service from age 14.

Edited by horatio2

Between the 29 June 1921 and 15 Feb 1922 he served with 8th Battalion RM in Ireland. 8th Bn were split into detachments of around 25 men each, guarding costal installations such as lighthouses and Coastguard Stations.

58 DM.

"Plymouth" should have been entered in the "Division" space at the top-right of his ADM159 record.

To avoid confusion, it is worth noting that his correct and full RMLI Register Number was Plymouth/16662 (PLY/16662) to distinguish him from three other men with the same number in Portsmouth and Chatham Divisions of the RMLI and also in the RMA (PO/16662, CH/16662 and RMA/16662).

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post - it is very much appreciated.  One question for Horatio2 - could you please provide a link to the Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy).  I have googled but so far unsuccessfully.

Regards,

Lexus