Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th RMLI

Sgt Stripes

HI. I am researching a marine who served in WW1 . Could someone please tell where the 8th RMLI were stationed from March 1921 till June 1922. Thank you.  

Certainly in Nov 1920 they were based in Kenmare County Kerry based on this newspaper cutting. They may still have been based here 1921-22 especially considering the political strife in Ireland at that time.

Cpl Robert James Muir - Service No.PLY/11359 RMLI, 8th R.M. Battalion. 

death.jpg

Edited by Lawryleslie

From memory broken up into sections of around 30 men and stationed to protect coastal infrastructure around Ireland (coastguard stations, lighthouses etc.)

58 DM.

The 8th Battalion Royal Marines was formed in 1920 for service in Ireland to protect lighthouses and also coast guard stations (as I remember). There is material held at Kew amongst the Admiralty (ADM) papers which I looked at many years ago; however, I can't remember the references.  

The battalion was brought together in June 1920, sailing to Cork in HMS VALIANT and WARSPITE before being taken by destroyer to protect coastguard and signal stations around the coast. The three companies were split into detachments, none smaller than 27 strong, allowing for two men to be on leave in UK,, with posts often 100 miles from the companies' HQs. A typical post was at Buncrana on Lough Swilly (Donegal) some 20 miles north of Londonderry. Apart from Lewis gun and rifle practise at a box towed astern of a dinghy, no shots were fired. Stations were to be defended to the last if attacked. There were "considerable casualties" [1922 'Globe & Laurel, p.39]. Individuals with the Battalion were relieved for home service from time to time, and the Battalion was not withdrawn until the spring of 1922, after the Anglo-Irish Treaty was negotiated.

It is not possible to state "where the 8th RMLI were stationed" other than Ireland.

A few references from Kew for further investigation:

ADM 1/8587/75: Instructions for Commanding Officer 8th Royal Marine Battalion, 1920

ADM 116/2084: Attacks and raids on Irish coastguard stations; Adriatic Committee (not relevant), 1920-21

ADM 116/2116: Raids on Irish Coast Guard Stations, 1920-21

ADM 178/106-108: Raids by Irish Republican Army on Irish Coast Guard Stations: destruction and damage of official and private buildings and effects, 1920-21

There may well other references amongst the indexes and digests in ADM 12 under cut (heading) 63: Royal Marines.

• 4 years later...

I believe one company headquarters was in Kilrush County Clare were the coast guard station was attacked by the IRA