Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GW aircraft crashes Essex

stephen p nunn

Here are some aircraft incidents relating to crashes in Essex:

20/3/15 Vickers Gunbus (1629) hit by AA fire and force landed.

1/6/15 Bleriot Parasol (1546) engine failure and force landed Leigh onSea.

17/8/15 Cauldron (1596) heavy landing at Chelmsford.

18/8/15 Cauldron (1593) crash landed Chelmsford.

13/10/15 BE2C landed in field near Suttons Farm.

31/1/16 BE2C force landed Thameshaven.

3/9/16 Farman F56 (9167) force landed Broomfield.

24/5/17 BE2C (6817) landed Burnham on Crouch.

5/6/17 Gotha GIV (660/16) crashed in sea.

5/6/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter crashed Stow Maries.

7/7/17 Gotha crashed in sea off River Crouch.

7/7/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (A8271) crashed on Maplin Sands.

7/7/17 Sopwith Camel (B3761) crash landed near Maningtree.

17/8/17 “2 British Aircraft” mid air collision over Thames.

29/9/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (B2555) force landed Orsett.

30/9/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (B2593) force landed North Benfleet.

6/10/17 BE2e (A1876) crashed Stow Maries.

19/10/17 “Sopwith” crashed on T/O Hornchurch.

1/11/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (A5238) force landed Orsett.

6/12/17 Gotha GIV (906/16) crashed Rochford.

28/1/18 Sopwith Camel crashed at Hornchurch.

28/1/18 Gotha GV (938/16) shot down at Wickford.

18/2/18 BE12 (6610) crashed Tolleshunt Major.

26/2/18 BE2 crashed Goldhanger.

7/3/18 BE12 (C3208) collision crashed Wickford.

7/3/18 SE5A (B679) collision crashed Wickford.

22/4/18 BE12 (B4535) crashed Stow Maries.

19/5/18 Sopwith Camel (B4614) force landed Chingford.

19/5/18 Gotha GV (925/16) force landed St. Osyth.

20/5/18 Gotha crashed East Ham.

22/5/18 SE5a crashed Danbury.

15/8/18 “2 seat British Aircraft” crashed West Tilbury.

20/9/18 Sopwith Camel crashed Stow Maries.

?/9/18 Sopwith Camel crashed South Ockendon.

Can anyone add more?

Best regards.

Stephen (Maldon)

se5a.jpg

The Caudrons were probably operating from RNAS Widford near Chelmsford, which were flying in the home defence role. On 11 September 1915 two more Caudrons tried to intercept LZ77 after it had dropped its bomb load on the camp of the 61st (2nd South Midland) Division between Wintry Park Farm and Hayles Farm just to the north of Epping. Fortunately the HE bombs failed to explode because the safety pins had not been removed. Four had landed within the lines of the 2/III (South Midland) Field Artillery Brigade. Only one incendiary did any damage, burning out the mess tent of the 183rd (2nd Gloucester and Worcester) Brigade.

The East Ham Gotha was shot down by a 39 Squadron Bristol Fighter flown by Lieutenant Anthony Arkell with Air Mechanic Albert Stagg as his observer /gunner. After firing around 700 rounds at the Gotha it caught fire and the crew jumped to their deaths. They were Leutnant Paul Sapkowick, the observer, Vizfeldwebel Hans Tiedke, the pilot and Gefreiter Wilhelm Schulte, the rear gunner. The aircraft spun and came down in a bean field between Roman Road and Beckton Road, East Ham. The site is now used for school playing fields.

Excellent information Fovant. Thank you. Stephen (Maldon).

On 18/11/2023 at 18:43, stephen p nunn said:

17/8/17 “2 British Aircraft” mid air collision over Thames.

Allan Gladstone Dow was the only man killed in that accident.

From IWM Lives of the First World War:

Watling Street Cemetery, Dartford, Kent, England.: Gravestone noticed on visit, in November 2013, to Watling Street Cemetery, Dartford, Kent, England.Lt Allan George DOW (note George on headstone, but Gladstone in official records). Royal Flying Corps. Died 17 August 1917. Aged 22 years. "Drowned after a collision in the air, while flying at Joyce Green Aerodrome, Dartford, Kent, England (next to River Thames). Erected by Brother Officers in No 63 Training Squadron, Royal Flying Corps.

Daily News 27/8/17 courtesy Findmypast newspapers

Daily_News_London_27_August_1917_0003_Clip.jpg.7e8a07bad91fdb31abfac251b06fb167.jpg

William Thomas Cole.

Harold Keates 21953

189 (Night) Training Squadron

Avro E3598

Killed 23/10/18 when 'flying in South Essex both in the same machine which nosedived and crashed to the ground'

Court of inquiry said pilot deliberately put aircraft into a spin but failed to get out of spin. Reason unknown.

Thank you again charlie962.

The other pilot in the "two British aircraft" incident on 17/8/17 was a Lt. Tanmer; "crashed in the shallows and rescued". Lt. Dow crashed; "near Joyce Green".

Fovant - the Cauldrons were:

17/8/15 - Flt. Sub-Lieu. C.D. Morrison "badly burned".

18/8/15 - Flt. Sub-Lieu. H.H. Square "injured".

Amazing pictures Red Gate. Thank you. Stephen (Maldon).

18 hours ago, charlie962 said:

William Thomas Cole.

Harold Keates 21953

189 (Night) Training Squadron

Avro E3598

Killed 23/10/18 when 'flying in South Essex both in the same machine which nosedived and crashed to the ground'

Court of inquiry said pilot deliberately put aircraft into a spin but failed to get out of spin. Reason unknown.

Thanks charlie962. I didn't have that one in my records. Regards. Stephen.

I didn't included Zeppelins in my earlier list. They have been well discussed before, but here they are:

24/9/1916 - Zeppelin L33 Little Wigborough. (Pictured).

24/9/1916 - Zeppelin L32 Great Burstead.

17/6/1917 - Zeppelin L48 Theberton.

5/8/1918 - Zeppelin L70 in sea.

Regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

L33.jpg

Another shot of L33

002 (3).jpg

Kapitan Alois Bocker - L33

German.jpg

And his burnt epaulette recovered from the wreckage at the time.

Bocker.jpg

Machine gun recovered from L33

MGC-Zepp.jpg

And although not a Zeppelin crash as such, I can't avoid mentioning L6 and the raid on Maldon during the late evening of Thursday 15th and the early morning of Friday 16th April 1915. Zeppelin L6, approached Maldon from the direction of the river, passing very close to St. Lawrence Rectory on its hill.  It flew over Maldon Workhouse and the Zeppelin’s captain, Oberleutnant Freiherr von Buttlar, jettisoned two bombs and twenty or so crude 16lb incendiary devices on the town and the surrounding fields below. 

Here is one of those incendiaries...

ZEPBOMB.jpg

And some others recovered by Maldon's police....

Essex Constab Zeppelin Bombs (Totterdell Papers).jpg

And one of Bocker's buttons (L33) also burnt.

bockbut.jpg

From my collection - a contemporary newspaper report on the Maldon raid...

dmzep.jpg

Site of main impact of raid today....

003.JPG

12 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Very interesting!

Thanks charlie962. Best regards. Stephen (Maldon).

A big “thank you” to all those GWFPals who have responded to this thread, either openly here or through DM’s.

I have been sort of questioned as to why I am doing this and that it might be some kind of “duplication”. Those who have known me on this Forum over the past 14 years will know of my interest in the GW in the Maldon District and beyond.

This includes the activities of 37 (HD) Squadron at Stow (which I first visited in the early-1970s) and Goldhanger (which is included in my book).

As a result, I have a large archive of material and I thought sharing this information on crashes might generate interest and further promote Stow (which, if you haven’t visited, I would urge you to do so. I promise you won’t be disappointed).

Anyway, here is an update (new stuff from you and me in red and 37 Squadron tagged in green – a search for these names on the GWF should identify other stuff I have written about these pilots):

20/3/15 (11.15) Vickers Gunbus (1629) hit in wing by AA fire from Thameshaven and force landed.

1/6/15 (01.00) Bleriot Parasol (1546) Flt. Sub-Lieu. A.W. Robertson (RNAS Rochford) engine failure whilst on a defensive patrol and force landed on mud flats Leigh on Sea.

17/8/15 (23.55) Cauldron (1596) Flt. Sub-Lieu C.D. Morrison badly burned when 3 out of 4 Hales bombs detonated during a heavy landing at Chelmsford after an anti-Zeppelin patrol. (RNAS Widford?).

18/8/15 (01.15) Cauldron (1593) Flt. Sub-Lieu H.H. Square injured when crash landed Chelmsford following an anti-Zeppelin patrol. (RNAS Widford?).

13/10/15 (23.15) BE2C 2nd Lieu J.C. Slessor following combat sortie was blinded by searchlight whilst landing and landed in field near Suttons Farm. Pilot safe.

31/1/16 BE2C (I 189) Flt. Sub-Lieu V. Nicholl force landed Thameshaven following defensive sortie. Pilot safe.

3/9/16 (02.55) Farman F56 (9167) Flt. Cdr. A.A. Arnold (RNAS Grain) force landed in a field adjacent to the landing ground at  Broomfield Court. Aircraft turned over and badly damaged. Pilot sprained ankle and suffered cuts.

24/5/17 (04.25) BE2C (6817) 2nd Lieu J.G. Goodyear blown off course during a defensive patrol and landed Burnham on Crouch.

5/6/17 (18.31) Gotha GIV (660/16) crashed in sea nearly two miles off Barton’s Point while being shelled by Sheerness and Shoeburyness guns.

5/6/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter crashed Stow Maries. Young Australian pilot, 2nd/Lt. Roy Walter Mouritzen (37 Squadron), was flying a Sopwith 1½ Strutter. Returning to Stow at dusk, he attempted a downwind landing when, according to one eyewitness, he struck a steamroller (some say it was a caravan). He was only 20 years old and had gained his wings nine days earlier.

7/7/17 Gotha shot down by FK8 of 50 Squadron (Grace and Murray) and crashed in sea off River Crouch.

7/7/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (A8271) 2nd Lieu J.E.R. Young and AM CC Taylor of 37 Squadron killed when aircraft crashed on Maplin Sands. Believed shot down by AA fire whilst engaging Gothas. During a raid by enemy Gotha aircraft. 37 Squadron joined the fray and 19 year old, 2nd/Lt. John Edward Rostron Young (pilot) and Airman (2nd Class) Cyril Charles Taylor (observer) were killed near the Nore Light, most likely by what we would now term “friendly fire”.

7/7/17 Sopwith Camel (B3761) Flt. Sub-Ltn A. Lofft (RNAS Manston) crash landed near Maningtree after combat with raiding Gothas. Aircraft a write off. Pilot safe.

17/8/17 “2 British Aircraft” mid air collision over Thames. Lt. Tanmer crashed in the shallows and was rescued. Lt. A.G. Dow (Canadian Flying Corps) crashed in Kent near Joyce Green (killed). Allan Gladstone Dow lies in Watling Street Cemetery, Dartford. Gravestone reads Lt Allan George DOW (note George on headstone, but Gladstone in official records). Royal Flying Corps. Died 17 August 1917. Aged 22 years. "Drowned after a collision in the air, while flying at Joyce Green Aerodrome, Dartford, Kent, England (next to River Thames). Erected by Brother Officers in No 63 Training Squadron, Royal Flying Corps.

29/9/17 (22.00) Sopwith 1½ Strutter (B2555) Lieut. N.C. Crombie and Cpl. F.W. Honnett (78 Squadron) force landed Orsett in thick fog.

30/9/17 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (B2593) Lieut. J.S. Castle and 1st A.M. Dawes (78 Squadron) force landed whilst on an operational patrol at North Benfleet.

6/10/17 BE2e (A1876) crashed Stow Maries. 2nd/Lt. William Quintus Newsom Richardson, lies buried in Maldon’s London Road Cemetery. He died when his aircraft side-slipped during a practice flight out of Goldhanger (37 Squadron) He was 19. (n.b. a lot more to follow on this lad in due course).

19/10/17 “Sopwith” Lt. Aubrey de Tresalor stalled on T/O Hornchurch. Pilot killed.

1/11/17 (03.00) Sopwith 1½ Strutter (A5238) Capt. F. Billings of 78 Squadron force landed Orsett whilst on a defensive patrol.

6/12/17 (04.45) Gotha GIV (906/16) port propeller shattered by AA fire over Canvey crashed on golf course after hitting a tree attempting to land at Rochford.

28/1/18 (21.30) Sopwith Camel engine stopped by AA shell burst and crash landed near railway signal box at Hornchurch. Aircraft destroyed. Pilot, I.M. Davies safe.

28/1/18 Gotha GV (938/16) (22.10) shot down at Frund’s Farm, Wickford by Sopwith Camels flown by Capt. H.C. Hackwell and 2nd Lieut. Banks of 44 Squadron. Gotha burnt out and crew of three killed (Leut. Friedrich von Thomsen (nav), Unter. Karl Ziegler (pilot – shot through neck) and Walter Heiden (gunner)). Hackwell and Banks awarded MM.

18/2/18 (01.10) BE12 (6610) 2nd Lieut. S. Armstrong of 37 Squadron killed when aircraft crashed and caught fire at Tolleshunt Major, possibly following engine failure whilst on a defensive patrol. 2nd/Lt. Sydney Armstrong, who took off from Goldhanger airfield at 11 o’clock on the evening of February 17th 1918 in his BE12 biplane. At 1 o’clock the following morning the body of the 18 year old pilot was discovered in the shell of his burnt-out machine, in a field at Tolleshunt Major.

26/2/18 BE2 crashed Goldhanger. Armstrong’s replacement was Irish born, Catholic lad, 2nd/Lt. Frederick Augustus Crowley, who took off in a BE2 (from Goldhanger. 37 Squadron) on his third solo just before 9am on 26/2/1918. He clipped some trees, stalled and came down in a field at the back of ‘The Cricketers’ pub, where the aircraft burst into flames.

7/3/18 BE12 (C3208) Capt. Alex Kynoch (37 Squadron) killed following collision after take off from Stow Maries (23.29), crashed in a field at Wickford.

7/3/18 SE5A (B679) Capt. H.C. Stroud (61 Squadron) killed following collision (see above) after take off from Rochford (23.30), crashed in a field at Wickford.

A propeller memorial to 24 year old Captain Kynoch and the other pilot (Captain Stroud) was erected on the site by the local farmer.

23/4/18 BE12 (B4535) 2nd Lieut. C.L. Milburn (Canadian) (37 Squadron) killed in crash Stow Maries. Aircraft caught fire. 2/Lt. Edward Gerald Mucklow deserted from the Royal Fusiliers and served with 37 Squadron, under the name Cyril Lawson Milburn. He was killed, when his BE12 suffered engine failure during a spin and he crashed on Moonshine Field, near the aerodrome at Stow Maries. He was comparatively “old” at 31.

19/5/18 Sopwith Camel (B4614) (23.45) Lt. W.E. Nicholson force landed (broken pressure valve) at Chingford.

19/5/18 (23.50) Gotha GV (925/16) ‘Pommern’pilot decended to 2000 feet through cloud and choked starboard engine and force landed St. Osyth. Pilot Lt. W. Rist and observer, Leutnant Wilheim Rist killed. Vize. Max Gummelt and Rudolf Huhnsdorf safe.

20/5/18 Gotha (00.20) shot down by Bristol Fighter (C4636) of 39 Squadron flown by Lieut. A.J. Arkell and 1st AM A.T.C. Stagg. Crashed off Roman Road, East Ham. Crew of three killed. After firing around 700 rounds at the Gotha it caught fire and the crew jumped to their deaths. The aircraft spun and came down in a bean field between Roman Road and Beckton Road, East Ham. The site is now used for school playing fields.

22/5/18 SE5a crashed Danbury. 2nd/Lt. William Martin Burfoot (37 Squadron) suffered engine failure in his SE5a and stalled, turning near the ground, before crashing at Danbury.

15/8/18 “2 seat British Aircraft” crashed after take off West Tilbury. Pilot Lt. King seriously injured and AM Miller slightly.

20/9/18 Sopwith Camel crashed Stow Maries. 20 year old, Lieutenant Edward Cecil Henry Robert Nicholls was flying a Sopwith Camel when he turned sharply after take-off from Stow (37 Squadron), spun, crashed and was killed.

?/9/18 Sopwith Camel crashed South Ockendon. Pilot Lt. George Mahoney (29. New Zealander) of Hornchurch killed.

23/10/18 Avro (E3598) William Thomas Cole. Harold Keates (21953) of 189 (Night) Training Squadron. Killed when 'flying in South Essex both in the same machine which nosedived and crashed to the ground' Court of inquiry said pilot deliberately put aircraft into a spin but failed to get out of spin. Reason unknown.

Best regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

On the subject of the Maldon Zeppelin raid...this made me laugh. I knew I was old, but not quite that old! (I was mayor in 2014/15, but not in 1915!).

snzep.jpg

Not on your list?

17/5/18 Chelmsford Chronicle courtesy Findmypast newspapers

Chelmsford_Chronicle_17_May_1918_0003_Clip.jpg.2a3092824c262ab9bb846bddc8e4dd09.jpg

Re. John Donald Baird.

Not sure about the DSO and MC but certainly saw action with the Royal Naval Division (wounded 1916 and 1917) before transfer to RNAS etc.

Crashed near Ilford, I think. I've not checked his RAF Casualty Cards but he also has Naval records and RAF records all on Findmypast.

Airmen Died in the Great War says:

First name(s) John Donald

Last name Baird

Birth year 1898

Death year 1918

Death date 08.05.18

Age at death 20

Cause of death K.W.F (killed whilst flying)

Burial place Buried at City of London, Manor Park, Essex

Soldier number -

Rank Lieutenant

Unit or regiment 44 Training Squadron

Service branch Royal Air Force

Grade, branch or position Pilot

Aircraft type and serial number in Camel D6649

Theatre of operations United Kingdom

Honours and awards DSO / MC

Place or origin of residence Native of Prestwick, Ayr 

RAF Museum StoryVault have a casualty card that says:

Full name Baird, J.D. (John Donald)

ID OC0220912

Object CC2_00828

Collection Archives

Classification Casualty Record Series

Series Casualty Card Type - Incident

Initials J.D.

First names John Donald

Surname Baird

Service no 

Rank 2Lt

Organisation Royal Air Force

Unit 44 Training Squadron (RAF)

Trade Pilot

Casualty date May 8th 1918

Accident Spinning nose dive

Result of accident Killed

Death date May 8th 1918

Remarks 

Terms of enlistment 

Awards 

Attached from 

Place Hainault Farm/UK

Death details 

Aircraft Sopwith F.1 Camel

Aircraft serial D6649

Engine type Le Rhone 110 hp

Engine numbers

Manufac

turer 36069

War Department WD16318

On the back of the card is the CofI judgement- pilot error..did not allow sufficient height to flatten out in.

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000264304-baird-j.d.-john-donald

Edited by charlie962

That's a fantastic bit of additional information charlie962. I am very grateful to you and all others who are posting on this thread to share with other GWF members After all, that's what being part of this is all about. Regards. Stephen (Maldon).

For HL Hopkins, Airmen Died says

First name(s) Harry Lynn

Last name Hopkins

Birth year -

Death year 1918

Death date 11.05.18

Cause of death K.W.F (killed whilst flying)

Burial place Buried at Hornchurch, Essex

Soldier number -

Rank Lieutenant

Unit or regiment 189 (Night) Training Squadron

Service branch Royal Air Force

Grade, branch or position Pilot

Aircraft type and serial number in RE8 E58

Theatre of operations United Kingdom

Country Great Britain

Record set Airmen Died In The Great War, 1914-1919 

Courtesy RAFMuseum casualty card:

Full name Hopkins, H.L. (Harry Lynn)

ID OC0231142

Object CC2_11058

Collection Archives

Classification Casualty Record Series

Series Casualty Card Type - Incident

Initials H.L.

First names Harry Lynn

Surname Hopkins

Service no 

Rank Lt

Organisation Royal Air Force

Unit 38 Squadron (RAF)

Trade Pilot

Prisoner of war No

Casualty date May 11th 1918

Accident Stalled on turn.

Result of accident Killed

Death date May 11th 1918

Remarks 

Terms of enlistment 

Awards 

Attached from 

Place UK

Death details 

Aircraft Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8

Aircraft serial E58

Engine type Royal Aircraft Factory 4a

Engine numbers

Manufacturer 609

War Department 

Court of Inquiry report says ...got into a flat spin at 400ft.

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000274534-hopkins-h.l.-harry-lynn

Edited by charlie962

Thanks again charlie962, I feel another update coming on! Regards. Stephen.