Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walsall & District The Roll of the Great War

ErnieNoakes

Thanks Steve for the info.

Regards Doug.

Hello,

If you have some spare time and if you are absolutely bored and if you are willingly to contribute to our project The Passchendaele Archives...you may look up Third Ypres casualties with photograph, or Tyne Cot burials (no photo required). We are looking for the Third Ypres victims (12/7-15/11/1917) with photograph. So if you're dying with boredom... :)

If you find any, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Jan

• 4 weeks later...
Ernie,

Is there any mention of 2nd Lt A.W. Motteram who was killed whilst serving with the 1/5th S.Staffs on 21/5/18?

Thanks for offering the service!

Anthony

Anthony,

I am new to the forum but notice that you enquire about Motteram. I have spent the last 6 years researching ALL the men on the Walsall ROH and Motteram is certainly amongst them. Please e mail if you need any details.

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ernie

Looking for info on a Darlaston man, so not sure he'd be on the Walsall Roll. He is Harold John Fellows Pte 1117 , 14th Bn Royal Warwicks, killed on 22/7/1916.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

Got your e-mail, thanks.

Sorry, nothing on this chap that I can see on the Walsall ROH. The only Fellows on the roh are:

Jabez Benjamin Fellows Sapper 154143 RE

Benjamin Fellows Cpl 52633 12 DLI

Albert James Fellows Pte 47083 1 WYorks

Thomas Fellows Pte 73451 28th Canadian Inf.

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Hi Ernie

Could you do a check to see if you can find any reference to Joseph Slatcher from Pelsall,Served with the North Staffs Kia with the 2nd Lincolns.

Many Thanks

David.

david,

no mention in the write ups section, he is mentioned in the roll of honour

Hello

could you look up a Pte Alfred Wilson 19190 of the Coldstream Gds - killed 13.4.18 - from Brownhills

Thanks

Ian

Hello

Thanks. its the first one I have found in these books

He is on the Ploegstreert memorial so would confirm his missing status

A super result

Ian

Nick

Thanks. off to have a look

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
I've just acquired a copy of this book which as well as the Roll of Honour contains brief bio's of many of the men featured in the Roll.

hi ernie i am reasearching my wifes great gandfather goerge f homer 19889 i would appreciate any information you may have

thanks paul

• 1 year later...
hi ernie i am reasearching my wifes great gandfather goerge f homer 19889 i would appreciate any information you may have

thanks paul

Hi,

I have the following

George Frederick HOMER

Private 19889

9th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Died in Belgium on Wednesday 13 June 1917

Although born in Walsall, George resided at 34, North Street, Bridgtown, Cannock with his wife, Alice, and their three children. His parents continued to live in Walsall at 106, Milton Street, Palfrey. At the time of his enlistment at Hednesford in August 1915 George was employed as a manager for Mr H.W. Parker, a grocer.

George joined the Pioneer Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment and was working in the forward area near Ypres when killed. On Tuesday 12 June 1917 his battalion moved to bivouacs near Dickebusch, “A” and “D” Companies supplying working parties the following day for work on a new communication trench. The companies were shelled on the way to work resulting in 1 killed and 6 wounded.

George is buried in Railway Dugouts Burial Ground, Zillebeke, Ypres in Grave VII.Q.6. He was 32 years of age

Ragards,

Graeme

Ernie

Have you anything for the following, all from 179th Tunnelling Company RE?

Killed:

Farnell, Samson Spr 112552 Died: 23/12/1915, Buried: Norfolk Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt, born: Cheslyn Hay, Staffs, resident: Cheslyn Hay, Staffs

Grice, Herbert Spr 112724, Killed/died: 18/12/1915, Buried: Thiepval Memorial, born: Wednesfield, Staffs

Jones, Thomas Spr 102977, Killed/died: 31/12/1915, Thiepval Memorial, born: Pendlebury, Lancs, resident: New Invention, Staffs.

Survived:

Gwilt, Edward Cpl 79269 (formerly 10817 S Staffs Regt), resident: Walsall.

Preece, Frederick William Spr 112675, born: Broseley, Salop, resident: Cheslyn Hay

Walker, Alfred Arthur Spr 112760, resident: Cheslyn Hay.

Many thanks

Simon

Hi Ernie

I wondered if you would be good enough to do a look up fpr me on Pte Joseph Slatcher who was KIA serving with the 2nd Lincolns in october 1918, from Pelsall

Many thanks

Medalman

Hello,

On the War memorial in Lichfield I have the following men from the Walsall area

Gunner Thomas Emery Born Walsall

Died 2.9.1918 aged 23

Royal Garrison Artillery

Private John Mullarkey Born Walsall

Died 19.7.1917 aged 38

South Staffs 7th Battalion

Private William Dickin Born Wall

Died 18.12.1917 aged 21

North Staffs 1/5th Battalion

I also have men from Stonnall, Wednesbury.

Thanks for looking

John

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at Bridgtown war memorial and am trying to find the following:

A Carpenter

R George

E Haynes

W Hulme

G Lloyd

T Locket

G Onions

H Read

F Rowley

R Wilson

Any help will be appreciated

Jon

• 15 years later...

Hi Ernie,

I'm a bit late in seeing your post and wondered if it's possible for you to check the book for my great grandfather Herbert Mountford of the Leicestershire Regiment. He was killed in action in France on 27/08/1916. He was born in Walsall and his wife and children were living at 8 St. Paul's Row, Walsall at the time. Thank you.

Hi,

You would have done better starting a new thread with his details, however this is what I have on him

Herbert MOUNTFORD, Private 10622, 7th Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment, died on Sunday 27 August 1916.

Herbert was the son of Alfred and Mary (née Meeson) Mountford of 34, Rutter Street, Walsall and later of 41, Lower Hall Lane, Walsall, his father being employed as a harness maker.

He married Sarah Ann Longmore at Walsall on Sunday 22 May 1904 and resided at 11 Court, 5, Blue Lane West, Walsall and later at 8, St. Paul’s Row, Walsall with his wife and four children, Ann, Lily, Mary and Alfred. He was employed as an iron worker at the Walsall District Ironworks.

Herbert enlisted in the 6th Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment at Walsall on Tuesday 25 August 1914 and was drafted to France on Thursday 29 July 1915. He later transferred to the 7th Battalion in the regiment and was killed in the Arras sector at 38 years of age.

Following the battles in the Somme offensive his battalion were moved to Agnez les Duisans near Arras where, on Sunday 6 August 1916, they took over the trenches in that area. No major engagements are recorded for the battalion during its possession of the line although the Germans shelled the battalion.

The War Diary records,

“23 to 28 August 1916 - Trenches.

Everything very quiet except on the 26th when our support were shelled by about 10 105mm shells. 3 men were killed.

The battalion was relieved by the 6th Leicestershire Regiment at 6pm. “B” and “D” Companies proceeded to Arras to billets. “C” Company to the Candle Factory and “A” Company to the Redoubt Line.”

Herbert is buried in Faubourg D’Amiens Cemetery, Arras in Grave I.F.36 and is also commemorated on the Walsall Roll of Honour (in Walsall Town Hall) and on memorial in Walsall Town Hall removed from St. Paul’s Church, Walsall.

His widow married William Carter at Walsall in late 1917.

His name is also commemorated on a leather bound book held by the L.H.C.

Regards,

Graeme

mountford h 4 (2).jpg

mountford h.jpg

hs.jpg

• Admin

Also mentioned on this thread

@ErnieNoakes hasn’t visited the forum since 2014. My tag might  alert him to your post