Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walsall & District The Roll of the Great War

ErnieNoakes

I've just acquired a copy of this book which as well as the Roll of Honour contains brief bio's of many of the men featured in the Roll.

Sorry,

I forgot to add that I will do 'look-ups'

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie,

Is there any mention of 2nd Lt A.W. Motteram who was killed whilst serving with the 1/5th S.Staffs on 21/5/18?

Thanks for offering the service!

Anthony

Ernie wasnt there a VC winner, if i remember his statue is outside the Library in Walsall, well it was about 15 years ago, could you tell his story??

Sorry,

I forgot to add that I will do 'look-ups'

Anthony,

"Motteram, Sec-Lieut. A W., S. Staffs Walsall" listed in the Officers Roll of Honour. No Bio details

Ernie,

could you please look for:

Thomas Barber, George Pickard, Edward Scott & Frank Valentine Pearman all Ox & Bucks Light Infantry

Many thanks

Lesley

Ernie wasnt there a VC winner, if i remember his statue is outside the Library in Walsall, well it was about 15 years ago, could you tell his story??

Nigel,

JH Carless VC is the only individual listed in the VC section of the Walsall Roll of Honour (WW1)

John Henry Carless (born in Walsall 11th November 1896) was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

He was 21 years old, and a Ordinary Seaman in the Royal Navy during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 17 November 1917 at the Second Battle of Heligoland Bight, Germany, Ordinary Seaman Carless of HMS Caledon, although mortally wounded in the abdomen, still went on serving his gun (at which he was acting as rammer) and helping to clear away the casualties. He collapsed once, but got up again and cheered on the new gun's crew. He then fell and died. He not only set a very inspiring example, but while mortally wounded continued to do effective work against the enemy. He is commemorated on a memorial outside the Library in his home town of Walsall (The inscription reads that he 'set an inspiring and memorable example'.) and on the Naval Memorial at Portsmouth. After his death a street in Walsall was re-named after him and another after the ship in which he served.

Regards,

Ernie

Ernie,

could you please look for:

Thomas Barber, George Pickard, Edward Scott & Frank Valentine Pearman all Ox & Bucks Light Infantry

Many thanks

Lesley

Brian,

The only one I can find anything on is George Pickard. The Walsall Roll of Honour lists "Picard Pte. George Ox and Bucks LI Pelsall.

Ken Wayman in his Book "The True and Faithful Men" Obituary Roll of Honour 1915 Page 96

George PICKARD Born in Walsall and lived in Spring Lane, High Heath, Pelsall. Son of Charles Henry and Caroline Pickard of Spring Lane, High Heath, Pelsall. Single. Volunteered during December 1914 in Walsall. Private 17223, 5th (Service) Bn the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, (42nd Brigade, 14th 'Light' Division). 21/5/15 landed at Boulogne France. 30-31/7/15 Action of Hooge (liquid fire attack). 25/9/15 Second attack on Bellewarde. Died of wounds on Friday 31/12/15 (age 20) suffered in the St. Jean sector of the Ypres Salient. Buried in plot IV. B. 29A of Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, Belgium; headstone inscription reads, The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Cemetery visited and inscribed cross placed by the headstone on 16/04/2003. Name appears on the Walsall Wood War Memorial, entitled to the 1914-15 Star.

Regards,

Ernie

PS Ken also devotes a paragraph to him on page 91 if you let me have you email I'll scan it for you.

Ernie,

Is there any mention of 2nd Lt A.W. Motteram who was killed whilst serving with the 1/5th S.Staffs on 21/5/18?

Anthony

anthony you no doubt have his cwgc details,all i can add is,brother of harold,wilfred and amy,his father was a joiner/carpenter,he was an officer with the 6th batt,killed whilst with the 1/5th regards bernard

thanks bernard!I knew of Harlold but not wilfred-what source did you use to find the information? :D

regards,

anthony

Ernie

Any mention of 6932 Private Samuel Grundy South Staffordshire Regiment.

Regards Doug.

Ernie

Any mention of 6932 Private Samuel Grundy South Staffordshire Regiment.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug,

Only in the Roll of Honour, no bio details.

Regards,

Ernie

Ernie,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Sorry for the delay. No bio. details, but mentioned in the Roll of Honour.

Regards,

Ernie

Ernie

Thanks for looking.

Regards Doug.

• 6 months later...
I've just acquired a copy of this book which as well as the Roll of Honour contains brief bio's of many of the men featured in the Roll.

Hi Ernie,

Wondering if you could do a check on my great grandfather, Sgt. John Sanders, 1/5 South Staffs., killed on 27th April 1915.

Cheers Iain.

Hi Ernie

Could you please do a look up on Private William Wood 9701 2nd Battalion,

South Staffordshire Regiment

Born-Walsall

Regards Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Is there anything about a Sapper A. Pettie. His number was 56975 and he served with the 89th Field Coy, RE. He was Born in Walsall, but enlisted in London. He was also killed in action on the 5th Sept. 1916.

many thanks,

Stewart :rolleyes:

Ernie

Any Benjamin Fellows in there? He was born in Walsall, and was in the Durham's. I think!

Dave

i think sgt john sanders might be listed as r.e.! in the roll of honour