Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Willoughby Sandham Lt

berlingobob

I recently visited Stanley Spencer paintings at Sandham memorial chapel. I know it was painted to honour the memory of Lt Henry Willoughby Sandham who died in 1919 from the affects of malaria contracted on active service ,but was not accorded a Commonwealth War Grave ,but I can't see why he would not have been given a CWG as  he would have met the criteria I believe. Can anyone help me on why he is not memorialised officially.thanks 

Much always depends on official evidence, which would have to come from his service file at Kew, or, more likely from the exact terms on his death certificate. It would be interesting to know whether his name was ever submitted to the MOD for commemoration.

Details regarding Inquest following his death. Surrey Advertiser Wednesday 17 March 1920

Surrey Advertiser Wednesday 17 March 1920.png

Edited by BarbaraG

That I think answers the question. Thanks Barbara.

Seems like he was demobilised ,so not in active service,so that's why he doesn't qualify for a CWG , but I think he would have a strong case ,as clearly the malaria which he contracted in Salonika contributed to his death .Anyway , the chapel in his memory is a fantastic thing to behold .

In some respects I think Stanley Spencer's work has taken precedence, albeit an amazing series of paintings, and Harry is mentioned almost in passing.

As always happens the Death Certificate would need to reference him contracting malaria during his war service.

Another important aspect is his place of burial, for which I have been unable to find any photographs or references to a headstone.

However his burial at St Mary's in the Parish of Stoke D'Abernon on 12 March 1920 can be referenced on Ancestry.

The Will Index also records some details.

1920 Burial Record.png

1920 WILL ref. SANDHAM H W.png

Although unable to locate a photograph I received a very informative and helpful reply from the Parish Administrator at St Mary's Church, Stoke D'Abernon.

From the Register of Gravestones for Grave No. 141

The epitaph says :

Here rests the body waiting for Christ of Harry Willoughy Sandham who died suddenly at Charlwood, Oxshott of an illness contracted in Macedonia after five years in active service.  I saw water issuing from the temple of the right side Alleluia and all to whom that water came shall be healed and all shall say Alleluia Alleluia.

Map of the Churchyard graves.pdf

On 08/11/2023 at 14:51, berlingobob said:

Seems like he was demobilised ,so not in active service,so that's why he doesn't qualify for a CWG , but I think he would have a strong case ,as clearly the malaria which he contracted in Salonika contributed to his death

Just a couple of points

• Demobilised soldiers/officers could/can be commemorated by CWGC provided that their death was before 31 Aug 1921 [the official end of the war] and from a cause related to their service - so post-service date of death is not an impediment in its own right.
  • The cause of death in the newspaper report seems to be, though malaria was earlier mentioned, "the walls of the stomach were very thin, and a minute perforation had taken place.  The shock of this caused death." - so cause would have to be confirmed by a DC [an absolute must to be obtained I would think] and it would have to match his service.

From the evidence presented in this thread so far I'm not seeing the connection or cause for commemoration at present, regardless of any newspaper report or epitaph.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

On 08/11/2023 at 16:35, BarbaraG said:

However his burial at St Mary's in the Parish of Stoke D'Abernon on 12 March 1920 can be referenced on Ancestry.

There are two CWGC maintained graves in this churchyard, one from the Great War, one from WW2.
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?Surname=&Forename=&Initials=&ServiceNum=&Regiment=&Cemetery=STOKE+D'ABERNON+(ST.+MARY)+CHURCHYARD&CountryCommemoratedIn=null&Unit=&Rank=&SecondaryRegiment=&SecondaryUnit=&AgeOfDeath=0&DateDeathFromDay=1&DateDeathFromMonth=January&DateDeathFromYear=&DateDeathToDay=1&DateDeathToMonth=January&DateDeathToYear=&DateOfDeath=&Honours=null&AdditionalInfo=&Tab=&Page=1

The Great War Grave Registration report makes no reference to Lieutenant Sandham - sometimes headstones bearing military details are recorded and then subsequently struck through on the report with a note like "not a war grave". However one caveat, I can't see a date anywhere on the form, so a small chance his death post-dated the Registration visit. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/401183/a-m-rimer/#&gid=1&pid=1

Cheers,
Peter

• 4 months later...

Got a look at his file at TNA over the weekend. As Phil Wood said in the older topic (linked above), it makes no mention of malaria or other sickness. He relinquished his commission on completion of service, 12 Dec 1919.