Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Henry Willoughby Sandham

wendyguest

Could anyone tell me what regiment Lt Sandham was in? I have looked for a MIC and cannot find one. There is a memorial chapel to him, near Burghclere in Hampshire with frescoes painted by Sir Stanley Spencer. lt Sandham died in 1919 as a consequence of of malaria which he got whilst fighting in Salonika.

Thanks in anticipation

He was in 685 (Motor Transport) Company Army Service Corps.

Henry and the chapel have been discussed several times before. A quick search should reveal more threads.

Many of the Stanley Spencer paintings from the Sandham Memorial Chapel are now on display at Somerset House, London until 26 January 2014, free admission.

The chapel in Burghclere near Newbury is now closed for restoration work until the end of July 2014.

There is a photograph of Harry Sandham in uniform on the National Trust site for Sandham.

Moriaty

• 7 months later...

My curiosity was piqued after a visit to see the Spencer paintings out of context (but in the light) at Chichester. Why is he not recognised as a casualty by the CWGC?

So I had a look at his record at TNA yesterday.

Quite an odd one - started in the ranks where his skill seemed to be engine testing. Then he applies for and gets a commission, when he is revealed as a theatrical manager - quite a change of skillset.

In April 1919 he applies for release (he is in Salonica) to little avail until an MP takes up his case and writes to the War Office mentioning Churchill as an interested party in the fate of this 42 year-old subaltern. Needless to say HQ in Salonica are ordered to send him home forthwith.

No mention of sickness, malaria or otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

The death announcement in The Times of 11 and 12 March 1920 reads: Sandham, on the 8th March at Charlwood, Oxshott, very suddenly, from the effects of malaria contracted on active service, Harry Willougby, son of the late Henry Sandham and Mrs Sandham and only grandson of the late General Sandham RE."

According to one account, Harry had recurring bouts of malaria prior to his return to Britain.

Another account said that his spleen had ruptured and he died before the doctor arrived.

Moriaty