Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1:20,000 Maps of Struma Front, Salonika.

Ian Burns

I have a single copy (scan) of a 1:20,000 map of the Mouth of the Struma. Published by the "Printing Section R.E.A.H.Q. No.181, 19.10.16". It appears to be number 8 of a probably much larger set. A low res copy is attached.

I am looking for any other copies, particlarly to the east (ie: number 9?), of this set of maps.MouthStruma1.20000.jpg.ae46bbea940eeb30296f843a51348d74.jpg

Thanks Maureen,

The MacMaster Uni link is where I found the Struma map, but has no others.

The SCS DVD Index has a very useful key to the area's maps, including the ones I am searching for. Sadly, they do not exist in collections of Salonika Campaign Society.

The 1:20000 I'm looking for is the Orfano sheet (lines139/231/147/221). Although the 1:50000 (lines 139/234/163/211) would do just as well I suspect.

Ian

Index.crop.jpg

Hmm, I may have been incorrect regarding the CD from the Salonika Campaign Society.

Looking at the index it lists ORFANO 1:20000 and 1:50000. I think these are the maps I am seeking.

Can anyone help out?  I have asked the SCS and am awaiting their reply.

Hi Ian,

I have the SCS trench map CD and can confirm it includes the Orfano 1:20000 dated 04/07/1918 and the Orfano 1:50000 dated 23/20/1916.

Thanks Gardenerbill,

Please look for my private message.

Still waiting to hear from SCS...

Ian

Ian

I'm sorry that you are waiting for a reply, but the SCS is a very small society, with no paid staff and with a committee of five, all volunteers with other lives. Sometimes that means that things take them longer than we would like in this internet age. One reason that I eventually stepped down as a mod here, was that I wanted to have more time when I didn't feel obliged to respond almost immediately to issues.

The SCS is a very small members society, working hard to keep the memory of the campaign alive. Like the WFA each exec member has a role, but unlike them the committee has just five members, and because of the very modest membership numbers and therefore limited finances, there are no paid staff to deal with ordinary business. The committee, I know them all, do an excellent and often thankless job, and are taking several tasks forward, but sometimes things just take longer when relying on volunteers who do have other lives and commitments. 

Keith

No Problem Keith,

In fact I have just ordered a copy of the Trench Map CD. The previous discussion confirmed that the maps were what I was looking for, so I bought the CD. ;)

Best regards

Ian

Keith  I just replied to your email. With full (?) stroy.

Ian