Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying a Medal ribbon

Andrew1966

1 minute ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Frogsmile, unlike you I see nothing wrong with the proportions of the centre section of the medal ribbon. Also, like you, I have looked at countless images of men wearing that ribbon but we obviously have a difference of opinion in this particular case.       Pete.

It’s certainly more likely to be the BWM.  I just hope that someone with good software might be able to manipulate the original image to focus in on the ribbon’s colour proportions.

Good afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big

Good

Good afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

The orthochromatic film theory seems to be a very interesting one. The picture posted by Andrew Upton clearly shows the affect on the BWM ribbon however one would expect the medal next to it would be the VM and for the film type to have the same affect on that ribbon also ?? 

Continuing with the BWM theory, the medal to my mind is divided into three equal parts. Where as the BWM ribbon is more divided into quarters, the middle two sections being orange and quarter each side containing the white, black and blue stripes. 

After having spoken to father we possibly think the photograph was taken after the 7th November 1918 as they both wearing weddings rings and that was the date of their wedding. 

According to his medal index form at some point he transferred from the Royal Sussex Regt to the Labour Corps. Again going back to original picture he looks to be wearing brass shoulder titles, so I can only assume he was still in the Royal Sussex Regt. 

As I understand it the first war campaign medals were sent to all recipients and the British War Medal was established on the 26th July 1919. So I am wondering how long it took for the medals to be sent out. I am asking this because there is a date on his medal card of the 25th January 1922, might this be the date they sent out. If it is would he have worn the ribbon on his uniform prior to receiving the medal. 

afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

The orthochromatic film theory seems to be a very interesting one. The picture posted by Andrew Upton clearly shows the affect on the BWM ribbon however one would expect the medal next to it would be the VM and for the film type to have the same affect on that ribbon also ?? 

Continuing with the BWM theory, the medal to my mind is divided into three equal parts. Where as the BWM ribbon is more divided into quarters, the middle two sections being orange and quarter each side containing the white, black and blue stripes. 

After having spoken to father we possibly think the photograph was taken after the 7th November 1918 as they both wearing weddings rings and that was the date of their wedding. 

According to his medal index form at some point he transferred from the Royal Sussex Regt to the Labour Corps. Again going back to original picture he looks to be wearing brass shoulder titles, so I can only assume he was still in the Royal Sussex Regt. 

As I understand it the first war campaign medals were sent to all recipients and the British War Medal was established on the 26th July 1919. So I am wondering how long it took for the medals to be sent out. I am asking this because there is a date on his medal card of the 25th January 1922, might this be the date they sent out. If it is would he have worn the ribbon on his uniform prior to receiving the medal. Good afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

After having spoken to father we possibly think the photograph was taken after the 7th November 1918 as they both wearing weddings rings and that was the date of their wedding. 

As I understand it the first war campaign medals were sent to all recipients and the British War Medal was established on the 26th July 1919. So I am wondering how long it took for the medals to be sent out. I am asking this because there is a date on his medal card of the 25th January 1922, might this be the date they sent out. If it is would he have worn the ribbon on his uniform prior to receiving the medal. 

Good afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

After having spoken to father we possibly think the photograph was taken after the 7th November 1918 as they both wearing weddings rings and that was the date of their wedding. 

thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

I agree with Frogsmile here.
Although the single ribbon would by all expectations be a BWM, as FS has stated, the proportions of light and dark bands are all wrong.
I know it's a small image, but for what it's worth, the dark area in the image of an orthochromatically rendered BWM  posted by Andrew upthread, is 37 pixels wide and the light area 23 pixels.  The dark area is 60% wider than the light.

In the Op's post, the dark area is 57 pixels wide, the light area 63. The light area is 20% wider than the dark.

I know the image is small and poor quality, but there is no photographic evidence to support this being a BWM.

1 hour ago, Andrew1966 said:

Good

afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

As I understand it the first war campaign medals were sent to all recipients and the British War Medal was established on the 26th July 1919. So I am wondering how long it took for the medals to be sent out. I am asking this because there is a date on his medal card of the 25th January 1922, might this be the date they sent out. If it is would he have worn the ribbon on his uniform prior to receiving the medal. Good afternoon to you all. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

thank to everyone who has looked at my post and commented. 

He is only wearing one medal ribbon, the line following the base of the single medal ribbon is just the edge of his shoulder patch. With regard to the issue of medals, yes, the medal ribbons were issued soon after introduction and well before the actual medals.       Pete.

11 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Frogsmile, unlike you I see nothing wrong with the proportions of the centre section of the medal ribbon. Also, like you, I have looked at countless images of men wearing that ribbon but we obviously have a difference of opinion in this particular case.       Pete.

7 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

He is only wearing one medal ribbon, the line following the base of the single medal ribbon is just the edge of his shoulder patch. With regard to the issue of medals, yes, the medal ribbons were issued soon after introduction and well before the actual medals.       Pete.

I agree with you Pete on both of these absolutely 100%. 

On 17/10/2023 at 18:09, Andrew1966 said:

Good

As I understand it the first war campaign medals were sent to all recipients and the British War Medal was established on the 26th July 1919. So I am wondering how long it took for the medals to be sent out. I am asking this because there is a date on his medal card of the 25th January 1922, might this be the date they sent out. If it is would he have worn the ribbon on his uniform prior to receiving the medal

The supply chain was provided with enough yards of ribbon for each man to have the regulation width and depth stitched to two jackets.

The design and colour variation, etc. was standard, with contracts set in accordance with specifications so that the lengths of ribbon were uniform in their appearance when worn.

It is thus fairly straightforward to identify the same ribbons by comparing them between contemporaneous wearers.

The ribbon was available soon after the medal was officially instituted, but actual medals were not available until a year or more later depending upon supply schedules.

Edited by FROGSMILE