Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Richard Mayberry

Perth Digger

10 hours ago, George Rayner said:

The soldier's effects appear to have his father as William-at least he seems to be the executor.

9 hours ago, George Rayner said:

There is other evidence for William as the father

1 hour ago, Perth Digger said:

I see that in the 1901 Ireland Census that Mayberry's eldest brother was named Samuel. That may explain the issue of William (father) and Samuel (brother)?

Samuel is his father, William John Mayberry is the oldest child in the family as evidenced by this Ballymena birth registration from 1880.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02888/2058171.pdf

I would also note that there is a 30-year old William Mayberry living in Bellshill, Larnark, with what looks to be his wife and two children, in the 1911 Scotland census, so I suspect that this is older brother William again. William and Richard's birth registrations also indicate that it's highly likely that father Samuel was illiterate, given that they both refer to the mark of Samuel Mayberry, father, so if Samuel was illiterate, but William could read and write, it would make sense that he handled Richard's estate.

MAYBERRY WILLIAM 1911 M 30 625/3 3/ 3 Bellshill Lanark
MAYBERRY JEANIE 1911 F 21 625/3 3/ 3 Bellshill Lanark
MAYBERRY SAMUEL 1911 M 2 625/3 3/ 3 Bellshill Lanark
MAYBERRY MARY 1911 F 0 625/3 3/ 3 Bellshill Lanark

Does the birth registration for Richard and William include father’s job? Or William’s marriage certificate indicate his job or father Samuel’s employment?

George

This looks to be William's marriage in 1907, which I think is also confirming the William found above in the 1911 Scotland census is Richard's older brother.

MAYBERRY     WILLIAM JOHN     STRACHAN     JEANIE     1907     625 / 3 / 3     Bellshill

Edited by Tawhiri

Some further entries from the Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29121/supplement/3433 - confirming his initial commissioning on 15 August 1914

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29312/page/9647 - promoted to temporary Captain on 8 September 1915

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29312/page/9647 - and then relinquishing the rank on 28 September 1915

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29993/page/2753 - seconded to the RFC as a Flying Officer (Observer) from 5 November 1916

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30330/supplement/10474 - from Flying Officer (Observer) to Flying Officer on 24 September 1917

On 15/10/2023 at 07:16, DavidOwen said:

The Scotsman 6th October 1915 (courtesy FMP) This either gives more information on him or suggests a different man

I suspect the H in his name is an error, but the date of the newspaper article certainly matches the dates of his temporary promotion to Captain. The end date of this temporary promotion was one day earlier than the date of his second wounding in 1915, which according to the casualty card I posted above was a gunshot wound to the left thigh on 29 September 1915.

Edited by Tawhiri

To round things out, this is mother Sarah and the younger children living in Waterloo Road, Larne, Antrim in the 1901 Ireland census.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/Waterloo_Road/996638/

There are no obvious matches for either father Samuel or older brother William in the 1901 Ireland census, but there is a 21-year old Wm J Mayberry living in Bellshill, Larnark in the 1901 Scotland census, which matches where the family were living in 1911.

MAYBERRY WM J 1901 M 21 625/3 16/ 24 Bellshill Lanark

No obvious match for Samuel in the 1901 Scotland census age-wise, although there is a 46-year old Sam Mayberry also living in Bellshill, Larnark in 1901. Father Samuel's age does seem to be a little bit of a moving target, being 52 in the 1911 census and 63 in the 1921 census, but I'm not confident enough to suggest that the 46-year old Sam Mayberry in the 1901 census is the same man. This would require a closer look at the actual census return to see where he was born and if he was married.

Edited by Tawhiri

Thank you for all this hard work done while I was fast asleep on the other side of the world!

Mike

12 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Does the birth registration for Richard and William include father’s job? Or William’s marriage certificate indicate his job or father Samuel’s employment?

My reason for asking was to cross reference the other documents to confirm sibling/parent but this may not be necessary.

Well done Tawhiri

George

ScotlandsPeople is pay per view, 6 credits gets you a look at a birth, death, or marriage registration, or census record. The minimum number of credits you can purchase is 30 for seven pounds fifty pence, so depending on how far you want to take this, I would certainly suggest spending a little money to view the actual documents found above as there will be information on things like occupation and parents' names that don't show up in the indexes, and which will confirm the smaller details. William's 1907 marriage certificate would probably be the first thing I would look at, as I think most of what is needed to confirm everything will be found there. Richard's death was registered in Scotland in the Service Returns, but I have been told that these don't show as much information as a standard Scottish death registration.

The full Irish birth registrations and census records are free to view, although I can't for the life of me decipher the handwriting of the registrar to work out what father Samuel's occupation was on both William and Richard's birth registrations. I did note that mother Sarah stated she could only read in the 1901 Ireland census., while all the children could read and write, so I'm inclined to think that older brother William took on the role of administrator of Richard's estate to ease the burden on his parents.   

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment British banks are making it difficult for overseas customers to use their accounts (just in case I'm a money launderer I believe),so I'll wait a bit. Probably the most valuable thing to come out of your research is that Mayberry was a very intelligent young man from an ordinary background who was lucky enough to have access to what was then --if not now-- an excellent education system that encouraged and promoted the ambitious ("men on the make" as they were once called, without criticism).

Mike