Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1 Pembroke Yeomanry & 24th Welsh Regiment - A Collection of Bits & Pieces

Alan24

Looking again, I notice the metal pembroke titles, one has been altered from TY to 1Y by cutting down the T.

31 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

Looking again, I notice the metal pembroke titles, one has been altered from TY to 1Y by cutting down the T.

It was quite common to clip the T to form a 1 in TF units after the Military Service Act created conscription from 1916. 

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It was quite common to clip the T to form a 1 in TF units after the Military Service Act created conscription from 1916. 

I wasn't sure if it had been deliberately cut or just damaged. 

But for what purpose?

26 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I wasn't sure if it had been deliberately cut or just damaged. 

But for what purpose?

Because the units were no longer manned only with Territorials and received drafts from a variety of origins following conscription and the ‘general service’ engagement.  This subject isn’t new and has been discussed before in past threads.  It’s common in the field of collectors to come across these titles where the T has been clipped or filed to form an ad hoc 1.  It only worked with the first line battalions of course, but there never were separate, discrete titles for second line units anyway. It naturally didn’t work with every title, only those that didn’t have a numeral in the first place such as Yeomanry and a very few single-unit infantry, like Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, etc.  I’m not suggesting it was officially endorsed, but it was obviously common enough given the number of such modified titles that exist.  More commonly some numbered titles simply had the T itself removed completely leaving just the numeral and regimental initials.  See Cheshire and Suffolk examples below, where both types of modification have been carried out. 

IMG_1376.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for the explanation and other examples.