Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P 1908 Haversacks etc

4thGordons

@Pete_C I  believe are quite correct! Many thanks.

I dug out my O/S Haversacks and have one made by the same maker (1917 dated) and a couple of 08 Haversacks and indeed this is the same size as the other o/s haversack and is constructed identically. I should probably have done that before posting!

I still see no obvious traces of the 2" tabs being removed - although I wiped the surface over with a damp rag and there may be just the faintest ghost on the right side.

Comparison pics below. 1917 O/S on left, modified one on right

IMG_9132.JPG.554a532cb1792c6ca744ed2637cc6a1a.JPG

IMG_9133.JPG.b0c39f6c91339e967499df513eec0bdd.JPG

possible trace of tab on right side

IMG_9135.JPG.22276694e471d01664e034cf09081781.JPG

IMG_9136w.jpg.4a5873c679025f472fc5c74a40389069.jpg

Nice find @4thGordons what is your opinion on when it was modified? I understand we can’t ever say for definite but it seems quite neatly done - albeit in a DIY fashion rather than factory (looking at some of the stitching in the corners) but whoever did it had access to a decent enough machine, and had the knowledge, to machine sew through all that thickness of material. I think later civilian modified rather than soldier modified? However without having it to handle that’s just supposition on my part and a wild guess.

Would a soldier be allowed to modify something in that way??

I have sewn 3 layers of webbing with my singer 201 with a 130/21 needle and it will do that but no more. 
here is a 37 pack I moved the chapes on to make a shoulder bag to illustrate my point. Probably confuse someone else in 50 years!

IMG_9859.jpeg.60070374eb137436f2325dd7cb5ac6c6.jpeg

I don't suppose it is really possible to know.

The leather is soft and quite thin and backed with canvas that is finer weave than the standard Mills woven material but does give the impression of being "old" so I don't think this is a recent modification. The material actually reminds me of the American officers' "musette" type bags with a leather back/bottom.

I don't think a soldier would be permitted to make such a modification officially although in the field I suppose whatever worked would suffice. Officers might have more leeway. I suspect it is a post-service civilian modification; perhaps by someone making field back for hunting or fishing? or maybe a school satchel? who knows.

I use a '37 small pack when I hunt but sling it on a narrower shoulder strap using the 1"end tabs. It's the perfect size.

Chris

50 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

I don't suppose it is really possible to know.

The leather is soft and quite thin and backed with canvas that is finer weave than the standard Mills woven material but does give the impression of being "old" so I don't think this is a recent modification. The material actually reminds me of the American officers' "musette" type bags with a leather back/bottom.

I don't think a soldier would be permitted to make such a modification officially although in the field I suppose whatever worked would suffice. Officers might have more leeway. I suspect it is a post-service civilian modification; perhaps by someone making field back for hunting or fishing? or maybe a school satchel? who knows.

I use a '37 small pack when I hunt but sling it on a narrower shoulder strap using the 1"end tabs. It's the perfect size.

Chris

The small packs make great shoulder bags, this one had had its 1 inch chapes removed for some reason so it was cheap. I use it with a 2inch stretcher strap as the shoulder strap and a couple of 2 inch twigg buckles when out and about - ideal size for a couple of possibles, and a flask and water. I won’t go further as a bit off topic!

Edited by MrEd

Here’s a modified large pack I’ve had for a long time:

IMG_2507.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg

Edited by DisasterDog

I believe those are post-WWII European modifications, but I’m unsure of the nationality.

Hi guys, this time I'm asking you something different than usual

I found this English Tascapane from an attic in the Treviso area but unfortunately, overcome by euphoria, I didn't stop to ask you experts for advice first.

I didn't pay much for it, €30 shipped, but I'm submitting it to you to understand if it is original and, if it is, what is missing compared to its original appearance and if there is possibly the possibility of recovering it from you in the UK even if it replicates any missing pieces .

Certainly you can find perfect English Haversacks online but this one comes from our areas and most likely from English troops who stayed here in Italy, probably destined for the front on the Piave to counter what would later be the offensive of June 1918, also called Battle of the Solstice

Thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart

Flavio 

IMG_20231127_091149.jpg

IMG_20231127_101611.jpg

IMG_20231127_101635.jpg

IMG_20231127_101701.jpg

IMG_20231127_101848.jpg

Edited by Flavio

It appears to be an original 1917 dated 1908 Pattern haversack made by the Mills Equipment Company (MECo). It looks like it’s been modified for post-WWI civilian use by removing the side and bottom buckles and the rear tabs. This was quite common after WWI. You can see intact examples here:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1908/1908_haversacks.html

In theory it could be restored to its mostly original configuration, although it’s debatable whether it’s value justifies it.