Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Affair at Nery, Sep. 1st, 1914. Miscellaneous.

Templar

14 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I was really just thinking of a simple narrative by an individual describing his scouting duty, even if on just one occasion, as a template that might guide a writer and nothing more than that really.  More like a private journal I suppose. 

I shall try and find out if there is anything relevant.

@Templar I suggest you re-read pages 77 and 78, if you are having problems understanding it say so.

https://archive.org/details/diedeutschekaval00pose/page/n87/mode/2up?view=theater

Briefly - DR17 was not held reserve but deployed with DR18 + Riflemen (presumably from the accompanying Jäger Battalions) and 2 Batteries of FAR3 on the „heights“ SE of Néry. Kürassier Regt 2 and Ulanen Regt 9, MG Abteilung 2, Riflemen and 1 Battery of FAR3 on the heights E of Néry, Husaren Regts 15 & 16 were held as a mounted reserve in Eskadronkolonne to the rear in a hollow. The charge was made by Husaren 15 & 16.

Charlie

5 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Yes, Charlie. I will be sticking around so i don't miss anything. Thank you for clearing up who actually made the Charge. I re-read Pages 77-78 and understood it.

On 09/10/2023 at 00:27, Templar said:

Yes, Charlie. I will be sticking around so i don't miss anything.

I had a look through my books at home and didn‘t find a reference to anything like what Frogsmile suggested. I did find „Blau-Weisse Reitergeschichten“ which looks like it may contain some relevant parts https://zeughaus-braun.de/en/products/blau-weisse-reitergeschichten-erinnerungen-alter-olga-dragoner-aus-kriegs-und-friedenszeiten

or https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Angebote/titel=Blau+weisse+Reitergeschichten

Of course you would have to take a chance and buy the book, I cannot vouch for the contents. 

If it is of interest I can post the pages from the Cavalry Drill Regs which deal with an attack, but it is obviously only how things should happen.

I‘ll keep looking 

Charlie

I have managed to get hold of the regimental histories of DR17, DR18 and the Mounted Division of FAR3 but I haven‘t had chance to look through them yet. I‘ll keep you posted.

Charlie

Firstly the relevant bits from the DR17. The patrol led by vFdw. v. Michael consisted of 5 men: Himself, his 2i/c Sergeant Graack, Gefreiter Lübbers, Gefreiter Harnack and Dragoner Rehfeld. The Riflemen were not Jäger but dismounted Troopers from DR17. The report on page 83 is from vFdw. v. Michael

DR18 and FAR3 to follow

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5069.jpeg

Edited by charlie2

All i can say is that you have saved me from embarrassment. The opening Chapter of my Book deals with the above-mentioned Patrol, of which the Main Character is a part of. So, now i know the Details, i can avoid that Mistake.

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Firstly the relevant bits from the DR17. The patrol led by vFdw. v. Michael consisted of 5 men: Himself, his 2i/c Sergeant Graack, Gefreiter Lübbers, Gefreiter Harnack and Dragoner Rehfeld. The Riflemen were not Jäger but dismounted Troopers from DR17. The report on page 83 is from vFdw. v. Michael

DR18 and FAR3 to follow

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5069.jpeg

Brilliant work Charlie, you really have pulled a rabbit out of a hat and far exceeded any expectation. 

I do have a Question for you Charlie. Where did you find the DR17 regimental History, and is it free?

Yes, Frogsmile, indeed. The Man seems to be a Research Magician.

Edited by Templar

8 minutes ago, Templar said:

I do have a Question for you Charlie. Where did you find the DR17 regimental History, and is it free?

I knew from past experience that Charlie could somehow often dig up obscure regimental histories, which is why I asked him.  You have excellent information for your novel’s narrative plot now. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, Templar said:

I can't understand if it is that important, that you are unwilling to invest even as liitle as 7 euros like charlie suggested to buy the digitzed version...

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

you really have pulled a rabbit out of a hat

My dogs would really love me if I could do that:)

8 hours ago, Templar said:

and is it free?

Some things in life are free but at this moment in time the history of DR17 is not one of them unless your local library can source a copy. You could of course buy the book if you are lucky enough to find  a copy for sale but expect to pay a three figure sum. 7€, which is the price of a beer or maybe 2, buys you a digital copy from Patrick.

I shall look at the history of DR18 later

Charlie

I find it hard to understand why the British had not posted sentries, that smacks of incompetence on someones part. There was nearly a blue on blue incident on the south side of the village. While dismounted Troopers of DR18 were engaging the enemy with rifle fire the main body of the 18th Cavalry Brigade was found to be bearing down on them in attack mode. The Hussars were fortunately stopped in time by the Brigade Adjutant of the 17th Cavalry Brigade.

From the history of DR18

IMG_5070.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

IMG_5074.jpeg

The history of the Reitende Abteilung FAR 3 doesn‘t add much so here are just two personal recollections.

Charlie

IMG_5075.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

AOK4, like Charlie said, some Things in Life are free. In this endeavor, I want to use as many free Resources as possible, but it does appear that i will have to pay for the detailed Information that i am looking for.

5 hours ago, charlie2 said:

I find it hard to understand why the British had not posted sentries, that smacks of incompetence on someones part.

All i can say about this that i remember correctly, is that there had been a French Unit occupying the Ridge and beyond East of Nery. The British Troops were quite aware of their Presence. However the French had moved on during the Night. The German 4th Division came later and took their Place. Evidently the British were quite unaware of what had taken place. And so thinking they were still guarded they didn't think it necessary to post Sentries.

I am not a historian. If my Information is at all incorrect, please let me know.

15 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Some things in life are free but at this moment in time the history of DR17 is not one of them unless your local library can source a copy. You could of course buy the book if you are lucky enough to find  a copy for sale but expect to pay a three figure sum. 7€, which is the price of a beer or maybe 2, buys you a digital copy from Patrick.

Where would i be able to the Buy the Books? And who is Patrick?

Thank you all for Information. It has helped me greatly, and i appreciate it.

There have been no new Comments on this Thread for several Days, so i will no longer be keeping an Eye on it.

Thank you, one and all, once again.