Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying medal please

abc123

I have attatched a photograph of four medals. I believe the first three are the War Medal, the Victory Medal, and the Indian General Service Medal. I cannot identify the fourth.

Interestingly, the last medal has been edited out in some versions of this photograph, and it is not in the medal group currently.

Sorry for the low quality photograph. Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_20230928_225130.jpg

4 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Interestingly, the last medal has been edited out in some versions of this photograph, and it is not in the medal group currently.

It looks to me more like the last medal has been 'edited in'.

The suspender and bar are not as wide as the ribbon on the left side?

Thanks. All these photographs seem to be original from the early 1920s, would that sort of thing have been possible then?

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Interesting.

The ribbon looks original. It's the medal that's been added on in one pic and the ribbon that's been deleted in another!

Retouching of photos was normal. Removal of facial blemishes...

On some photos of the period you can see the brush strokes.

But I cannot answer your next question, what's the ribbon!

Ah, that would make sense. He served with the White Russians against the Russian Revolution, might it be connected to that?

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

It may well be a foreign decoration, for which he received the ribbon but not the medal?

@ForeignGong ?

47 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Ah, that would make sense. He served with the White Russians against the Russian Revolution, might it be connected to that?

Do you have a name of the recipient????

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/09/2023 at 22:59, abc123 said:

I have attatched a photograph of four medals. I believe the first three are the War Medal, the Victory Medal, and the Indian General Service Medal. I cannot identify the fourth.

Sorry for the low quality photograph. Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_20230928_225130.jpg

The more I look at it the more I am leaning towards the General Service Medal (1918).       Pete.

27 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The more I look at it the more I am leaning towards the General Service Medal (1918).       Pete.

Thanks

Does look about right. Would be weird though for it not to be in his medal group still

21 hours ago, abc123 said:

@ForeignGong

Wondering if you might have any idea what the medal might be?

Thanks again for the help

I think it might be the India General Service Medal and relate to a post WW1 campaign there.

It looks to me like Waziristan (a tough and hard fought campaign).  Shortened to Wazir on his MIC and for 1921-24.

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think it might be the India General Service Medal

Thanks

I believe that that is the third medal in the picture, and is currently in his medal group, but I am wondering what the fourth one is. It does not seem to be still there, and is edited out of (or maybe into) some of his photos

Below is a current photograph of his medals (miniatures, although they are the same)

IMG_20231023_220550_edit_285837958394925.jpg

25 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Thanks

I believe that that is the third medal in the picture, and is currently in his medal group, but I am wondering what the fourth one is. It does not seem to be still there, and is edited out of (or maybe into) some of his photos

Below is a current photograph of his medals (miniatures, although they are the same)

IMG_20231023_220550_edit_285837958394925.jpg

Sorry, yes I see now.  The fourth medal seems to have disappeared as the three vertical stripes on its ribbon are divided equally and there’s no ribbon like that in the current group apart from the 39-45 Star, which it clearly cannot be.  Incidentally he has clasps on the IGSM for both of the Waziristan campaigns, plus a mentioned in dispatches emblem.  He will have seen some ferocious fighting and there were no sinecures out there.  I would love to have had a chat with him about his experiences.

The only thing I can think of, and it is a long shot, is that he might have received a war time foreign decoration that he put up but that was then not approved by His Majesty (meaning HM Government) and that he was then obliged to take it down.  There appears to be a head on the face of the medal but the clasp design looks odd and unlike any of the others, which might add some circumstantial evidence to it being foreign.  It would have taken precedence after all British medals, which fits with its positioning in the photo where it appears.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you very much @FROGSMILE, I think that must be it

On a slightly different subject, the mentioned in dispatches leaf is on the Burma Star in the full size medals. I assume that is a mistake as it wasn't issued with the Burma Star? Do you know if there's a way of viewing the Waziristan dispatches to check?

6 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Thank you very much @FROGSMILE, I think that must be it

On a slightly different subject, the mentioned in dispatches leaf is on the Burma Star in the full size medals. I assume that is a mistake as it wasn't issued with the Burma Star? Do you know if there's a way of viewing the Waziristan dispatches to check?

I’m sorry but I can’t offer advice on where MiD records for campaigns, as opposed to world wars, might be.  If you do find out from a medal expert in the forum, and there are a few, I would love to learn of it.  The campaigns on the frontier of India make many modern so-called campaigns pale into insignificance by comparison.  Quite a number of British troops and their officers died in very unpleasant circumstances.  Think Hamas on steroids…. I wonder if forum stalwart @MaureenE  might have any knowledge of the MiD list for India whereabouts.

Edited by FROGSMILE