Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone ID this (German) port?

4thGordons

23 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

You can think what you want. I stick to my point (and I have quite a bit of experience with identifying WWI German pictures).

Jan

Then make points that make sense.
Saying that "the river is too narrow" does not rule out Antwerp, which is what I pointed out.
Saying that the type of crane shown in the photo was not present in Antwerp is a more convincing argument to put forward. 

I believe pic 2 and 3 may show the harbour of Roeselare (Roulers).

Jan

@4thGordons I have received confirmation from a collector of Roeselare (postcards etc) that the two pictures (2 and 3) are indeed Roeselare.

Jan

Canal4.1.jpg.659c946831d104eaa1511e0020a47689.jpg

This picture is the Willem Dok in Antwerp, the circled houses appear in a photo of the next door Bonaparte Dok, from a Port of Antwerp website 

BonaparteDok.JPG.036a24074121742598e9c6ff168389ec.JPG

The photo was taken from the Godefriduskaai and this is how it looks today courtesy of Google Street view, the small building to the left of the circled houses is still there, though minus its original roof.

WillemDok.JPG.1a3550d8da0b0fb5bb742da41f10b3bd.JPG

Tony

Wow -- thank you all! Amazing contributions from everyone. Apologies for my delayed response work has been a little hectic and I am just now able to review these. I will annotate the pictures notes accordingly for the future.

Again, very many thanks to everyone.

Chris

The outer of the two laid up ships is the SS ATTO another Roland Line ship which spent the war in Antwerp.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I  might be wrong but I have a gut feeling that both picture 2 and 3 are taken in Merksem, at the old Kempisch Kanaal, now long gone and replaced by the Albert Canal.

I have here a few old pictures, it seems like the photos might have been taken in the bend at the background of the photos, as there the canal is narrower.

Some other things on the picture that are relevant: 

• the railway line at one side
  • the stone wall on one side and grassy at the other side
  • the type of buildings.

Of course, your guess is as good as mine.

744_001.jpg

826_001.jpg

11 minutes ago, Niko said:

I  might be wrong but I have a gut feeling that both picture 2 and 3 are taken in Merksem, at the old Kempisch Kanaal, now long gone and replaced by the Albert Canal.

I have here a few old pictures, it seems like the photos might have been taken in the bend at the background of the photos, as there the canal is narrower.

Some other things on the picture that are relevant: 

• the railway line at one side
  • the stone wall on one side and grassy at the other side
  • the type of buildings.

Of course, your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry Niko, but it has been 100% certainly established that those pics were taken in Roeselare. Even the crane serial numbers correspond with known pictures of Roeselare.

Edited by AOK4

1 minute ago, AOK4 said:

Sorry Niko, but it has been 100% certainly established that those pics were taken in Roeselare. Even the crane serial numbers correspond with known pictures of Roeselare.

ah ok, my wrong.