Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown arm patch

Waggoner

This is the picture of a 1917 wedding in the UK, one of the women is wearing a triangular patch on her left sleeve. Does anyone recognized it?

All the best,

Gary

IMG_5398.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

Women's General/Ground Transport/Training?

Thanks for all the replies. I have passed them on to my friend who has the photo.

All the best,

Gary

It is quite likely that W G T stands for Walter George Tarrant, the well known Woking/Byfleet builder. He sent pre-fabricated huts to France and employed (sent) a company of women to assemble them. There are reports about this in both the Woking News & Mail and the Surrey Advertiser. I have the impression that this was done as he was trying to stop his workmen from being conscripted.

The Surrey History Centre may be able to add more.    

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

It is quite likely that W G T stands for Walter George Tarrant, the well known Woking/Byfleet builder. He sent pre-fabricated huts to France and employed (sent) a company of women to assemble them. There are reports about this in both the Woking News & Mail and the Surrey Advertiser. I have the impression that this was done as he was trying to stop his workmen from being conscripted.

The Surrey History Centre may be able to add more.    

Well done that man. Tarrant's Angels !!

Western Mail 8/5/17. Courtesy Findmypast newspapers 1917

chrome_screenshot_1692185400322.png.925f1162113211ce5ad4558fdd9e6a1a.png

An interesting character, Tarrant. I've just been reading of the fatal trial of a 6 engined Tarrant Triplane in 1918. 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Boot neck,

Thank you! I have passed the information on.

All the best,

Gary

Hansard 14/2/17 

Mr. T. WILSON

asked the Minister of Munitions if he is aware that Mr. W. G. Tarrant, of Byfleet, Surrey, who is building huts for the Army in France, is sending women out to assist with the work; will he state under what conditions these women are engaged; are they being paid at the same rate as men when employed on work usually done by men; do the provisions of the Munitions Acts apply to them; and what provisions are made for the housing, feeding, and general welfare of these women?

Mr. FORSTER

Messrs. Tarrant are employing a few women as carpenters in France as an experimental measure. They are housed in Army huts built by the contractor for them, and work under a fore- woman who is herself directly under Messrs. Tarrant's French manager. A housekeeper-cook and a lady supervisor have been engaged. The women have only been in France about a fortnight and a report will be asked for whether the work and general conditions are satisfactory. Their output and their pay is about half that of men. They do the lighter kinds of carpentry. The Munitions Act does not apply to them.

Edited by charlie962