Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Pipes of War as a reliable source?

Skipman

The Pipes of War by Sir Bruce Seton and Pipe-Major John Grant has Piper 9220 Archie Campbell in the 8th Battalion The Black Watch and "Wounded, Ypres 1915." Campbell did serve in the 8th Battalion but was originally in the 1st Battalion The Black Watch and definitely wounded though not seriously in November 1914 [EDIT At Ypres] serving with that unit. I can find no records after 1914 for 9220 Archibald Campbell other than the Medal Roll wich gives 1st then 8th Battalion. No other record or newspaper report other than from 1914 and a report  that he played the pipes at a local concert on the 20th of November 1914. The next info I have on him is a postcard 1919 when he was serving with the BAOR. Given that The Pipes of War states he was wounded in 1915 at Ypres (The 8th Battalion were there from October-December 1915) is that strong enough evidence that he was wounded again or have they just made an error with battalion and date?

Mike

Edited by Skipman

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

There's another thread Click (which I forgot about) but I don't think it answers the question. Was he wounded again at Ypres in 1915.

Mike

@Ron Abbott might well be able to help with this, and if not I suspect that he’ll know someone who can.

Looking into this a bit further. Archie's daughter Archieina was born on the 26th of August 1916 which puts him at home roughly in December 1915 which would fit with being wounded at Ypres, or maybe just home leave? He is a "Piper 8th Black Watch" at this time on the birth certificate.

Mike