Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Piper Cambell

ronmarsden

Great photo Ron, albeit with a rather unfortunate facial resemblance to Gefreiter Adolf Hitler, of 16th Bavarian RR!

649D993C-23D6-40FF-AD0B-D64B86110348.jpeg

8 hours ago, ronmarsden said:

8q5lpMk.jpg?1

"PIPER ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL 9220 Born in 1882,the son of Neil and Annie (McGregor) Campbell.Having had prior service, he was called up in August 1914 and went to France with the 1st Battalion,The Black Watch,later transferring to the 8th (Service) Battalion in the 9th (Scottish) Division where he served as a Piper throughout the war. He had been a member of the Aberfeldy Pipe Band and was a competitive piper and dancer at the Breadalbane Highland Games.He was also a champion ploughman. Wounded in action in 1915 during the Battle of Ypres,he died on the 6th March, 1921 as a result of the wounds and complications of pneumonia.He was 38 years of age, and left a widow, Christina Campbell and a family of eight at 9 Chapel Street,Aberfeldy. Buried in the Aberfeldy Cemetery, Perthshire; Grave 836 and commemorated on the Aberfeldy War Memorial".

from 'Floo'ers O' The Forest - Fallen Pipers of the Great War' by RH Crawford. 

I found the attached articles on the British Newspaper Archives website:

1) 4th November 1914 - Dundee Evening Telegraph, page 1 ( there are several other reports repeating the same information).

This is the report of his being wounded.

2) 9th March 1921 - Perthshire Advertiser, page 3.

This is the report of his death. It is a bad example, and I have tried to darken it - but this is the best I can do.

Additional to my search, I found the following article:

3) 29th Jul 1924 - Dundee Courier, page 3.

This is a report of the death of Pipe Major Duncan Campbell, and I have no doubt that this is the father of Archie.

I'd like to hear what you think.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

1914 Nov 04 - Dundee Evening Telegraph - p1 - Archie Campbell.jpg

1921 Mar 09 - Perthshire Advertiser - p3 - Archie Campbell - copy.jpg

1924 Jul 29 - Dundee Courer - p3 - PM Duncan Campbell.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang
add data

1 hour ago, Tom Lang said:

I found the attached articles on the British Newspaper Archives website:

1) 4th November 1914 - Dundee Evening Telegraph, page 1 ( there are several other reports repeating the same information).

This is the report of his being wounded.

2) 9th March 1921 - Perthshire Advertiser, page 3.

This is the report of his death. It is a bad example, and I have tried to darken it - but this is the best I can do.

Additional to my search, I found the following article:

3) 29th Jul 1924 - Dundee Courier, page 3.

This is a report of the death of Pipe Major Duncan Campbell, and I have no doubt that this is the father of Archie.

I'd like to hear what you think.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

1914 Nov 04 - Dundee Evening Telegraph - p1 - Archie Campbell.jpg

1921 Mar 09 - Perthshire Advertiser - p3 - Archie Campbell - copy.jpg

1924 Jul 29 - Dundee Courer - p3 - PM Duncan Campbell.jpg

The Pipe-Major Duncan Campbell you highlight above (b.1840 to d.1924), had a daughter (Annie) who played the pipes and a son who was also called Duncan Campbell (b.1876 in Ballater, don't know where/when he died) and who took over from him as Pipe-Major of the 5th VBRH in 1901 (or at least of the 'B Coy. Pipes & Drums' of the 5th VBRH as the battalion appears to have had at least two and maybe three pipes & drums at company level).

There was also apparently a Pipe-Major D Campbell of the 5th Bn. Black Watch up until 1914 but I don't have his full identity. 

But as for the subject of this thread, namely Archibald Campbell; his father was not Pipe-Major Duncan Campbell but a man called Neil Campbell (based on the official registry records in Scotland's People).

16 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

The Pipe-Major Duncan Campbell you highlight above (b.1840 to d.1924), had a daughter (Annie) who played the pipes and a son who was also called Duncan Campbell (b.1876 in Ballater, don't know where/when he died) and who took over from him as Pipe-Major of the 5th VBRH in 1901 (or at least of the 'B Coy. Pipes & Drums' of the 5th VBRH as the battalion appears to have had at least two and maybe three pipes & drums at company level).

There was also apparently a Pipe-Major D Campbell of the 5th Bn. Black Watch up until 1914 but I don't have his full identity. 

But as for the subject of this thread, namely Archibald Campbell; his father was not Pipe-Major Duncan Campbell but a man called Neil Campbell (based on the official registry records in Scotland's People).

Thanks Ron.

I just thought that it was too much of a coincidence. 

Those Campbells, I'll tell you. The "Black Campbells of Glencoe"...

Tom

• 3 months later...

Many thanks to Ron for sharing this. Does this postcard mean 9220 Archibald Campbell was a POW (I can't find an ICRC card for him), or was he a member of the British Army of the Rhine?

Mike

16 hours ago, Skipman said:

Many thanks to Ron for sharing this. Does this postcard mean 9220 Archibald Campbell was a POW (I can't find an ICRC card for him), or was he a member of the British Army of the Rhine?

Mike

Mike, 
I have no evidence to show he was ever a POW.

Must be BAOR.

Ron.

A large contingent of British troops were stationed at Solingen as part of BAOR (Solingen isn't far from Koeln, which was the administrative centre for BAOR). Also, pretty much all British POW's were home by the date on the Postcard (15/1/1919). So, BAOR not POW. 

• 1 year later...
On 07/06/2020 at 14:25, ronmarsden said:

8q5lpMk.jpg?1

I've just come across this post - can I ask where the above image and information comes from? I've been researching this man.

I think it's a postcard from Ron's personal collection. I think the "1915" is wrong he was wounded Ypres 1914. I too have been researching Archie Campbell as one of the men named on Aberfeldy War Memorial. Can I ask you about your interest in him?

Mike

I'm a volunteer researcher for CWGC looking at Perthshire war graves, as part of a wider initiative to gain more insight into the lives of world war service people buried in Scotland. I visited Aberfeldy cemetery towards the end of last year and have just been writing up my report for Piper Campbell today. It would be helpful to include the image of him, but only with permission from the owner of course.