Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC - Family Verification Form

RussT

Mrs B. WINMILL to me seemed likely to be Gnr S. DAVIES' widow, likely having remarried

For Gnr Samuel DAVIES, 94468, RGA - There is a pension index card naming Adelaide Blanche DAVIES, Vine St, Bilston, with a young daughter, b. 26.12.14

Free BMD offers this for her remarriage:

Surname  First name(s)  Spouse  District  Vol  Page 

Marriages Dec 1918   (>99%)
Davies  Adelaide B  Winmill  Wolverhampton  6b 913   

Winmill  William  Davies  Wolverhampton  6b 913

Time and a new husband had clearly not diminished her anger at her earlier loss, even by 11/1922.

The present CWGC commemoration https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/169229/samuel-davies suggests she did get EVER IN OUR THOUGHTS but I can't see that on the Headstone Schedule and I haven't been able to find a photo of his headstone = ???

M

I’d not noticed the intended inscription appears on the CWGC entry, it certainly doesn’t appear on the Headstone Schedule and as such I’d be very surprised if it’s actually on the headstone… time to get a photo of this one me thinks

Just now, jay dubaya said:

time to get a photo of this one me thinks

Whose our friendly photographer local to Etrun?  Any idea?

M

3 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Whose our friendly photographer local to Etrun?  Any idea?

M

New thread just started regarding headstone photo ;)

14 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

New thread just started regarding headstone photo ;)

:thumbsup: Grand idea.  Here's hoping ...

M

Edit: As Samuel DAVIES was likely a Bilston bloke [or at least his mother and widow seem to have been from there] I think @AndyJohnson might/likely to have an interest, perhaps even a photo of the man and/or his grave ???

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Bilston - that's the other side of the canal! Strange people from there...

No, I've no info re Samuel Davies - but from the Comprehensive Report (B) - see below - it looks like there is no inscription. Line 1373 (Dabell) paid 4/8d for "Gone but not forgotten", but nothing showing for Davies.

image.png.b3c9106a1f00049ea4ddeaf2dd459c24.png

If I can believe a family tree I've just found, Samuel and Adelaide Blanche had a daughter - Mary Irene - born 26 Dec 1914 and died 20 July 2018, so aged 103 years. As it quotes actual dates, I tend to believe it. She saw off 3 husbands, well she had the time.

Andy

Jay Dubaya

Could I ask for a reference / link to this letter in the CWGC Archives please? I'd be interested to see if the communication went further.

thanks

Andy

1 minute ago, AndyJohnson said:

Bilston - that's the other side of the canal! Strange people from there...

Sorry, Of course, not Tipton :doh: - Got confused with another bloke from Bilston :D Will I ever hear the last of that? I doubt it.

M

You're forgiven. But in precisely one month's time, I will show you a headstone in Serre No.2 with that same inscription "Gone but not forgotten" - A Tipton bloke.

Andy

45 minutes ago, AndyJohnson said:

re Samuel Davies - but from the Comprehensive Report (B) - see below - it looks like there is no inscription. Line 1373 (Dabell) paid 4/8d for "Gone but not forgotten", but nothing showing for Davies.

image.png.b3c9106a1f00049ea4ddeaf2dd459c24.png

Personal inscription = There's the puzzle that a headstone photo might resolve.

CWGC got EVER IN OUR THOUGHTS from somewhere so as you have requested it would be good to see where that letter might have lead to

And of course it might lead to that UNABLE TO PAY form that I am interested in

45 minutes ago, AndyJohnson said:

Samuel and Adelaide Blanche had a daughter - Mary Irene - born 26 Dec 1914

Same birth date detail for their daughter as the Pension Index Card - but she was recorded as May Irene DAVIES and this comes up as a 1st qtr birth registration in Wolverhampton

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Appologies, I thought I'd cited the source - here's the ref to the whole file in the CWGC Archive - CWGC/8/1/4/1/1/170 (AA51372)

The file is only 5 pages, the only other relevant page below -

refusaltopayresponseIWGC94468GnrDavies.jpg.57fd29b95b9f723defd450f5b6eab6ea.jpg

26 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

refusaltopayresponseIWGC94468GnrDavies.jpg.57fd29b95b9f723defd450f5b6eab6ea.jpg

The tight wads! Not even sent her an Unable to Pay form in 1923 it seems.  Of course that  might not have gone down well either.

Makes us seeing his headstone even more necessary, or a photo thereof, to possibly explain the current CWGC commemoration, or not.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

evening all

would you believe it, going through my headstone pics.

there is a remark on his CWGC file about the inscription but does not appear on the headstone.

image.jpeg

Edited by chaz

Well there’s a fine turn up, many thanks for posting that chaz. Certainly confirms our thoughts. Without the file attached to Davies’ CWGC entry the inclusion of the inscription is somewhat erroneous. 

Excellent find Chaz

Still wondering how CWGC ended up adding EVER IN OUR THOUGHTS to DAVIES's commemoration page ???

And what that elusive Unable to Pay form looked like.

M

I don't know how copyright etc works with photos people post into thier Ancestry family tree (quite lax I imagine) but a photograph of the angry widow, Adleaide Blance Winmill (previosuly Davies, nee Hall) can be found at: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/75146716/person/282004452801/media/7527faca-0007-48c5-a668-052ed9494208

Andy

Also his Service Papers survived, he seems to have been right on the Derby Scheme cut-off date. The papers are at: 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1219/images/miuk1914h_131938-00618?pId=4100903

• Admin

Some of the FVF cited appear to be for men who were found in the 20s and 30s and were concentrated into the then open cemeteries. Coincidence that the later ones survived, and not the ones of men in already established cemeteries?