Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did RSMs wear stripes ?

Simon Cains

Thanks, I suppose I still hadn't quite really believed that such an important rank didn't have an armful of stripes.  Anyway if I just keep asking dumb questions I will be promoted to general at this rate !  The forum really ought to only give promotions for answering questions, not asking.

6 minutes ago, Simon Cains said:

Thanks, I suppose I still hadn't quite really believed that such an important rank didn't have an armful of stripes.  Anyway if I just keep asking dumb questions I will be promoted to general at this rate !  The forum really ought to only give promotions for answering questions, not asking.

All levels of knowledge are welcome here Simon and I’m sure always will be.  Good luck with the promotion.

@FROGSMILE I can’t help but notice this chap on the photos you posted it’s this very interesting thread. Does he have 6 wounded stripes??? I have seen 2 or 3 but not 6, or is it something else? Thanks 

IMG_0603.jpeg.6e541f7a23bc7a6633e661b41b4fd555.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MrEd said:

@FROGSMILE Does he have 6 wounded stripes ......

...... actually I count an amazing 7 wounded stripes ......

Edited by TullochArd

32 minutes ago, MrEd said:

@FROGSMILE I can’t help but notice this chap on the photos you posted it’s this very interesting thread. Does he have 6 wounded stripes??? I have seen 2 or 3 but not 6, or is it something else? Thanks 

IMG_0603.jpeg.6e541f7a23bc7a6633e661b41b4fd555.jpeg

Yes I agree - seven wound stripes.

Okay 7, I missed the one at the back of the sleeve

that’s astonishing:o 

poor chap or lucky chap depending on which way you look at it. Crikey 

What I found more interesting is the possibly Aussie behind him with a scottish cap I think you call them Glengarries.

While we had some units with scottish conections before the war, it was not common to wear this in the AIF since these newly formed Bn's had no conections to the Scotttish.

These would be formed after the war.

12 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

What I found more interesting is the possibly Aussie behind him with a scottish cap I think you call them Glengarries.

While we had some units with scottish conections before the war, it was not common to wear this in the AIF since these newly formed Bn's had no conections to the Scotttish.

These would be formed after the war.

He’s not an Australian Steve, he’s wearing British service dress and the distinctive collar badge of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers.

IMG_9123.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Is he wearing a glove on one hand?

Certainly wearing a glove on his right hand and the dark colour of the fingers on the left hand indicates the other half of the pair

Yes, I think you’re right, 6. They look like fairly good quality leather gloves. Military issue for WOs (and maybe officers?) or private purchase?

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

Is he wearing a glove on one hand?

Both hands I agree.  Brown leather gloves were eventually an issue item for warrant officers (after Jul 1915 1st class) but I’m not sure when that began.  I’ll need to look at clothing regulations and report back.  For officers they were a private purchase along with the rest of their kit.  There were two grades, ‘cape’ and ‘dogskin’.  The CSM appears to be wearing the latter.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dogskin - I assume to be a corruption of doeskin?   Cape - I can`t think of anything but Cape Buffalo and I wouldn`t fancy gloves made of their hide!

18 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Dogskin - I assume to be a corruption of doeskin?   Cape - I can`t think of anything but Cape Buffalo and I wouldn`t fancy gloves made of their hide!

Dog skin

[dog-skin; dogskin; dogs skin; dogge skinnes; dogg skins; doges skynne; doges skyn; doage skyne]

The term may have been used occasionally for DOGFISH SKIN. The skin of a DOG, or the LEATHER made from it; The term was also applied to a kind of leather made from SHEEPSKIN with similar characteristics. Dog skin is both strong and flexible, and it was in demand for making GLOVES [Collins (1877)]. For this reason, most of the skins are found among the stock of glovers, and the occasional gloves made of it; hence 'dogge skinnes xvjd' [Inventories (1603)], and 'dogges Lether gloves' [Inventories (1575)], in both instances the inventories of glovers.

capeskin

noun

a firm, washable leather used especially for gloves, originally made from the skinof goats from the Cape of Good Hope, but now from hairy lambskin or sheepskin.

Afternote: As promised I’ve checked clothing regulations and for 1914 leather gloves were only issued for review order purposes to mounted troops and Foot Guards.  For other ranks field use just worsted woollen gloves were issued.  That suggests the KOSB CSM was wearing privately sourced gloves.

IMG_9126.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE