Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal for James Higgins

Crossar

Hi,

I am researching Pte James Higgins who fought in WW1 - he was first enlisted with the Royal Irish Fusiliers - Service #16653.  He was awarded the Military Medal whilst in this regiment.  I have tried to search for details on google with the London Gazette but no luck.  He later was assigned to Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Service #48589.  He survived the war - Dependants document notes had suffered gas poisoning.  I would be grateful if anyone knows a different means of searching the London Gazette - and in particular what Battalion he would have been in so that I can research the War Diaries more fully contained in the National Archives.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks Ann

Hi Ann,

He was gazetted on 19th March 1918. The MM Index card shows his battalion as the 7th/8th Royal Irish Fusiliers, with a schedule no of 148535. This schedule number shows he was more than likely awarded for actions at the Battle of Cambrai between 20 - 30 November 1917. 

Fingers crossed he is named in the WD.

Hope that helps.

Gavin

Edited by GMB

Hi Gavin,

thanks so much for this.  I am on ancestry and Forces War Records and only managed to get his Medal index card for the BWM and VM - will try and look again so I have this also.  Also can you advise how you found out he was gazetted on 19th March 1918 - I would love to know so I can do this myself in future.  And thanks for the info re the battalion.  That is great information.  And too the information re the schedule number and him likely being awarded for action ins the Battle of Cambrai.  Brilliant advice - thanks so much.

Ann

No problem at all. The National Archives hold the MM index cards https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6173039 - you can preview the image if you don't want to download it. This is where it shows his battalion, gazette date & schedule number.

The Gazette is tricky (it took me ages to work it out), but you need to make sure you are on the "WW1 Notices" tab. I then enter the search information I have on the left hand side (in this case James' regt no), but make sure you enter it like this "16653" - the " " will ensure it looks for exact hits. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/ww1

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Brilliant - thanks so much for this advice - every day is a school day!  Really appreciate you helping me out.

ann

Hi Gavin,

Can I pick your brains further?  You mentioned that with the schedule number you reckoned it was for actions at the Battle of Cambrai between 20 - 30 November 1917.  How do you know this?  I just want to understand the process more.  Many thanks

ann

13 minutes ago, Crossar said:

Hi Gavin,

Can I pick your brains further?  You mentioned that with the schedule number you reckoned it was for actions at the Battle of Cambrai between 20 - 30 November 1917.  How do you know this?  I just want to understand the process more.  Many thanks

ann

"The Great War Medal Collectors Companion" by Howard Williamson is an absolutely fantastic book - it details the London Gazette dates & schedule numbers to show when an MM was awarded (along with a million others bits of information). A lot of gazettes carry awards for a number of battles/dates, but James' LG date is quite specific.

The tricky part will be pinning down the specific action - hopefully the WD will show more.

Gavin

Edited by GMB

Hi Gavin,

thanks so much - I will look out that book - this site is amazing with everyone all helping out. I really appreciate you help in this.

Best wishes,

Ann

Possibly for this action on 1st day of Battle of Cambrai (note the casualties) - 7/8th RIF war diary from TNA:

image.png.ddf9a7d90beefef69819ff15554ffdaa.png

image.png.534dcc8b84a4643e21bbb580d32daf14.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

5 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Possibly for this action on 1st day of Battle of Cambrai - 7/8th RIF war diary from TNA:

Thanks so much Ivor - I have now downloaded the diary - so will be interested to see what it unfolds.  I think though it might be to do with that first night's attack as they were then relieved.  Appreciate you copying in those pages from the diary.

All the best,

ann

What I do when looking through the WD is scroll through the pages and hopefully it will have the soldier highlighted for the award (these are usually towards the end of the month, however, I have found these in the middle of the month at times).

As it is likely for actions in November, I would expect to see James mentioned (probably with a number of others) in late December/early January. Keep an eye out for annexes and detailed reports from Officers which normally follow on from the normal 'monthly diary'. That would then tally up to the March gazette date.

If someone has an easier way of searching, please let me know as I could do with a quicker way at times! 

Gavin

Edited by GMB

Pte. (L/Cpl.) Roderick McNicholl is also in that LG for an MM with 7/8th RIF - schedule no. 148527

Also, Pte. Andrew Keeley 13440 - schedule no. 148531

Also, Pte. J Henderson 21074 - schedule no. 148532

Also, Pte. John McCaffery 22785 - schedule no. 148533

Also, Pte. Peter Harvey 21120 - schedule no. 148538

There will likely be others for such a major action. Looks like there are at least 12, (27-38).

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I cannot see James Higgins listed in the weekly casualty lists for 1917-18. He may have been one of the 34 ORs transferred to the 7/8th R Inniskilling Fusiliers on 11 Feb 1918?

Both were part of 49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_(Irish)_Division

image.png.0feed2b1424ce55e3e10d4b653f5d7cb.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

7 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

I cannot see James Higgins listed in the weekly casualty lists for 1917-18. He may have been one of the 34 ORs transferred to the 7/8th R Inniskilling Fusiliers on 11 Feb 1918?

Both were part of 49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_(Irish)_Division

Hi Ivor,

James survived the war - and he did transfer to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - according the Medal index cards he took on the service number 48589 with that Battalion - I didn't know when - but this now makes sense.  Thanks so much for copying that in.  Can I ask where you find the weekly casualty lists too?  These are all great sources for information for me - so thanks so much for assisting.

Ann

19 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Thanks so much Ivor - you have been really helpful.

ann

9 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Hi Ivor,

James survived the war - and he did transfer to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - according the Medal index cards he took on the service number 48589 with that Battalion - I didn't know when - but this now makes sense.  Thanks so much for copying that in.  Can I ask where you find the weekly casualty lists too?  These are all great sources for information for me - so thanks so much for assisting.

Ann

On 26/07/2023 at 16:25, Ivor Anderson said:

Pte. (L/Cpl.) Roderick McNicholl is also in that LG for an MM with 7/8th RIF - schedule no. 148527

Also, Pte. Andrew Keeley 13440 - schedule no. 148531

Also, Pte. J Henderson 21074 - schedule no. 148532

Also, Pte. John McCaffery 22785 - schedule no. 148533

Also, Pte. Peter Harvey 21120 - schedule no. 148538

There will likely be others for such a major action. Looks like there are at least 12, (27-38).

Ivor

I checked all the "R Irish Fus" shown in the LG and found nineteen names whose MM cards showed 7/8. I will list them for you tomorrow.

Brian 

On 26/07/2023 at 16:04, Ivor Anderson said:

Possibly for this action on 1st day of Battle of Cambrai (note the casualties) - 7/8th RIF war diary from TNA:

Hi Ivor - well done this MM is for the 20 November. 

Regards

Chris

2 hours ago, FlersChampagne said:

Hi Ivor - well done this MM is for the 20 November. 

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks - I have transcribed the entry from the diary for 20th November1917. The diaries seem to end in February 1918 - at least those available on the National Archive - so I cannot find James mentioned up until that point re his MM which is disappointing and I know that sometimes they don't get mentioned either.  Thanks for commenting and assisting in this research.

Ann

20/11/1917

The battalion attacked with two companies A and B in the line, C and D in support, special carrying parties having been detailed from C Coy.  1st Objective TUNNEL TRENCH, 2nd Objective TUNNEL SUPPORT.  At zero 6.20am our artillery barrage opened on TUNNEL lasting for 4 minutes, when it was lifted on to TUNNERL SUPPORT.  The Battalion assembled without coming under any hostile shelling.  TUNNEL TRENCH was taken by A Coy without great opposition.  B on the left was help up for about ¾ of an hour by a machine gun post and suffered heavy casualties.  The wiring parties were also broken up and wiring was not completed on the new front as arranged until the following night owing to losses during eh attack and by enemy snipers. All opposition was finally overcome by organised bombing parties and the whole of TUNNEL TRENCH taken and consolidated.  Strong points were made as previously decided in 1. PRINCE TRENCH; 2. TRENCH OFF OLDENBURG leading to PRINCE and 3. In OLDENBURG on left on TUNNERL SUPPORT. A Coy meanwhile had pushed on and taken TUNNERL Support trench.  The enemy counter attacked four times, at 9.30am; 1.30pm; 2.30pm and 4.30pm but an artillery barrage was put down on each occasion and the attacks dispersed under our rifle and Lewis Gun fire.  Immediately on reaching PUMEL TRENCH small patrols were sent down to ascertain if there were any enemy present.  After a little opposition there those present surrendered and the patrols returned.  A detachment of the RE then proceeded to cut the wires and clear the mines as directed which had been laid throughout the tunnel by the enemy.  Information having been received that the enemy would probably attack that night, C and D Coys were re-organised and sent up from Head Quarters as reinforcements.  The Battalion stood to during this night 20/21 but no attack was made.  The Battalion was relieved at 4pm on the 21st November by the 7/8 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and took up its position in support.  Our casualties during the action on the 20th were

Killed                   Wounded            Died of Wounds            Missing           Total

Officers               2                              2                              1                               -                    5

OR                      19                            79                             3                               5                  106

These are the nineteen MMs for "R Irish Fus" in the LG 30585 whose MM cards show 7/8 Bn. NOK towns shown after name.

16024 T Moyles, Navan - Schedule 147725.

15401 A E Davies, Salford - Schedule 147726.

The above two have earlier schedule numbers than the remaining seventeen.

18717 I S Timmins DCM, Letterkenny - Schedule 148525 (WO 364 Ivor S Timmins).

23504 F C Rogers, Highbury - Schedule 148526.

24107 R McNicholl, Draperstown - Schedule 148527.

15944 J Davis, Cork - Schedule 148528.

6328 B Flynn, Bolton - Schedule 148529. (WO 363 Bernard Flynn).

18917 J McDonagh, Manchester - Schedule 148530.

13440 J Keeley, Little Trenance - Schedule 148531.

21074 J Henderson, Belfast - Schedule 148532 (WO 363 John Henderson).

22785 J McCaffery, Belfast - Schedule 148533.

23829 T Rooney, Belfast - Schedule 148534.

16653 J Higgins, Hamilton - Schedule 148535.

9038 J Eves, Mitcham - Schedule 148536.

20976 J P McLaughlin, Belfast - Schedule 148537.

21120 P Harvey, Bessbrook - Schedule 148538.

9524 J Keeffe, Thomastown - Schedule 148539.

20168 J Butler, Clogbean - Schedule 148540.

41064 D Moran, Athleague - Schedule 148541.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Great work Brian. Many thanks. That took time and patience! :) I wonder if the earlier 2 were for a previous separate action?

My GGF, CQMS Robert John Sproule 7398, was wounded and evacuated on 5-10-17, aged 40. The 7/8th war diary of 5 October 1917 says ‘Gas shell attack on enemy at 7pm. Enemy retaliated with ‘many aerial darts on LUMP LANE and shelled the right company’s HQ with heavies’. He still had some shrapnel in his left leg when he died in 1956.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

7 hours ago, Crossar said:

The diaries seem to end in February 1918 - at least those available on the National Archive - so I cannot find James mentioned up until that point re his MM which is disappointing and I know that sometimes they don't get mentioned either.

The 7/8th Bn. was disbanded in February 1918. That is why their diary stops then and when James Higgins probably moved to the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

With 19 MMs, these were probably among a long list of Corps level awards for Cambrai. I could not see them in the 16th Division A&QMG diary either.

Next port of call would be the newspapers - this is all I can find at the moment, which unfortunately doesn't provide any additional info.

Glasgow Observer 9th Feb 1918 (courtesy of British Newspaper Archive).

Screenshot_20230729_094838_Chrome.jpg