Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Snap, abandoned village near Ogbourne, Wiltshire, used as WWI range

Moonraker

A couple of weeks ago I re-visited the site of the hamlet of Snap, five miles north of Marlborough in Wiltshire, which I'd first been to way back in 1960. It was depopulated in the early 20th century and during the Great War was used for military training by soldiers from Chisledon Camp. Decades ago I doubted that it was an artillery range (as stated by some sources) and since then I've established there were no artillery units at Chisledon. Nor did I think that it had been a machine-gun range, as others thought - and no evidence of this has been found.  Almost certainly it was used for "bombing" practice (as in grenade-throwing).

One YouTube video

(though I doubt Paul Whitewick's theory that he was looking at the brick remains of a chapel - none is marked on the maps that I've examined.)

Another

Practice trenches were built on the nearby downs and a large pit caused by a mine explosion can still be seen.

(Not far away to the south is the Sorley memorial signpost.)

Though I have snippets - and more - of information about other trench systems, I've none about that near Chisledon and have never come across any contemporary references to Snap being used during the war. So anything would be of interest.

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

and a large pit caused by a mine explosion

Is that the big depression on the left you can see off the B4192 about ½ mile as you’re going into Aldbourne from U. Upham?

No, it's west of the "modern" Ridgeway Trail (a more user-friendly variation of the ancient Ridgeway) on/near Whitefield Hill, grid reference 209761 (IIRC).

(The area was also much used in WWII by American troops, including the "Screaming Eagles" - aka "Band of Brothers" - and as with other sites it's difficult to differentiate between WWI and WWII activities.)

26 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

The area was also much used in WWII by American troops, including the "Screaming Eagles" - aka "Band of Brothers"

Yep, my late father told me stories about them, particularly as they were based at Greenham and Newbury was a watering hole for them. 
Let’s get back on track,I will have a look at some aerial shots to see if I can spot the mine👍

• 2 weeks later...

I always like trying to find WW1 features on a modern map and was therefore curious to have a look at the bomb crater mentioned. I assume the grid reference given is SU209761 but am curious as to where the bomb crater is on the map below?

Map.jpg

I can't be positive, but I would THINK that it's the triangular copse just below the point of your marker. It's some years since I visited it, but there were mature trees in the pit. 

Am about to PM you.

The 1935 photo pm'd corresponds to the satellite image below which is ~ 1 km north of the grid reference given and ~ 1 km west of Upper Upham. The earth disturbance from the WW1 trench system is clearly visible in the two adjacent fields and I assume the bomb crater is as pointed to? 

Modern Map #2.jpg

It looks as though there may be 3 large bomb craters in these 2 fields?

I will probably be straying from WW1 but dad always told me when he was an armourer in WW2 he cycled to Yatesbury bombing range . Now I havnt looked in to it but Yatesbury was an RAF camp and they wouldn't have bombed the camp so I suspect there were a few fields they used and the Ogbournes are only 14 miles away.

that said, maybe some research may tie both bombing ranges up.

I don't think that there was a connection between RFC Yatesbury and Snap in the Great War. Coincidentally, on the very wet Wednesday last week, I was driven from a spot three miles east of Yatesbury to within a mile of Snap. The hill up from Ogbourne St George is still quite a slog for a cyclist and would have been even more so on a RAF-issue bike!

It's more likely that your dad cycled to a range a couple of miles south of Beckhampton, an easy five miles from Yatesbury.  I've never been able to find out anything about this range, though I think it existed post WWII.

There is no reference to a Yatesbury bombing range in Rod Priddle's comprehensive Wings over Wiltshire.