Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Hamilton Sorley

Michelle Young

• Admin

Out and about near Marlborough today, found this memorial to the war poet who was killed at Loos. He would walk to Marlborough College from his home in Cambridge before term started. 

9CF116D2-20DC-43C4-932B-202B9004C14B.jpeg

6300FEFA-5F32-4AC7-972E-6E8162E20DD4.jpeg

F6ACA9B6-44B0-41B7-8641-4EF3236AF517.jpeg

Lucky you, Michelle, though I bet that it was hot on the Marlborough Downs! Ironically Sorley loved running on the downs in the rain.  I've posted about the signpost before, firstly when I spotted it in an Imperial War Museum exhibition some years ago. (The IWM had borrowed it, with permission.) And last year I posted a photo (IIRC) of the post with a sheet of A4 inside a plastic cover tacked to it and giving some info. That appears to have disappeared.

I did email Marlborough College - where Sorley was educated - suggesting that an info board, perhaps made by the pupils, might be installed. Sadly I didn't get a reply.

• Admin

We had a lovely walk in Savernake Forest then went to  Ramsbury for a pint then up to the memorial. Yes the A4 sheet had gone from our last visit. 

Not too much of interest for WWI enthusiasts to see in the Ramsbury-Savernake  locality, rather more for WWII enthusiasts. Roger Day, The Western Kennet Valley in the Great War, is very good about ASC convoys parked in Hungerford and Marlborough and on the towns' respective commons,  and about local Red Cross hospitals, also a PoW work camp at Burney Farm. Had you continued north from the signpost, you might have passed the site of the hamlet of Snap, used for training during WWI, then near  a large bomb crater resulting from training, before looking down to the site of Chisledon Camp; the platforms of the WWI camp railway remain, hidden in undergrowth.

• Admin

One for another day! 

Edward Hilton Young in 'A Muse at Sea' also has a poem or two reminiscing about Marlborough and Savernake:

https://archive.org/details/museatseaverses00kennuoft/page/15/mode/1up?view=theater

https://archive.org/details/museatseaverses00kennuoft/page/29/mode/1up?view=theater