Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Curious case on the Portadown War Memorial…

Laird of Camster

3 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

So in fact all bets are off re dates?

Yes I think that’s a fair assumption!!

From a process of elimination. I think it’s in fact this chap….

Although where the rank or Sergeant fits in, I have no idea? Unless his service papers exist, or his MIC documents him as a Sgt? 

I also assume that Lillie was his sister or perhaps wife? Certainly only living relative?? She was clearly living on Water Street in 1911 and I assume for a good few years afterwards, in order for her (again I assume), putting him down as being resident on Water Street as well on the war memorial??

As can be seen both memorials have several errors - Stevenson/Steenson. Also Curry/Currie, his initial is also different on the church plague.

EAB01A71-B821-421C-A596-D41833F35B48.jpeg

As can been seen with Curry/Currie also allegedly of Water Street.

Different rank, different initial/first name.

Would also be interesting to learn, where the battalion information was gleaned from, as they are different, to what is recorded by the CWGC.

Certainly very confusing from a researching point of view!!

02BDB46A-2095-4676-8ADC-8C717FC49584.jpeg

F8560F5F-3980-4ED2-B62B-98B9185D1ACE.jpeg

4C0FFC37-3926-4BF7-97EC-39B9E765FF59.jpeg

Edited by Laird of Camster

Don't forget that if a soldier was missing in action, there was often a time lapse of a year or even more before a formal Board of Inquiry confirmed a finding of 'Killed in Action'.

The clue may be in the terminology that the deaths of Martin and Stevenson were 'announced'. Your John Martin is, therefore, likely to be a commemorated one rather than having a known grave.

3 minutes ago, MelPack said:

Don't forget that if a soldier was missing in action, there was often a time lapse of a year or even more before a formal Board of Inquiry confirmed a finding of 'Killed in Action'.

The clue may be in the terminology that the deaths of Martin and Stevenson were 'announced'. Your John Martin is, therefore, likely to be a commemorated one rather than having a known grave.

Thanks Mel, that is very interesting!! Would certainly seem to be the logical explanation! 

I had hoped to find a newspaper article reporting him missing, but sadly this doesn’t appear to be the case. 

• Admin

Lillie wouldn't be the wife, sister yes. See the 1901 census image I posted earlier. But that leaves the question of what happened to the parents of the time.

On 15/07/2023 at 17:05, DavidOwen said:

10261 was born Shankhill Co Armagh Ireland, World War I Casualties, 1914-1922 - Ancestry.co.uk

10261 Soldier's effects to brother Samuel (Image courtesy Ancestry) - apologies if miles away.

image.png

I think this man is the most likely given his rank of Cpl. (Acting Sgt?). Shankill Parish is Lurgan, near Portadown. MIC image - Ancestry:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/72019/j-martin/

Enlisted Lurgan: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/565901:1543?tid=&pid=&queryId=20b756441237e31508e4544960dcdf1f&_phsrc=qzF8697&_phstart=successSource

MARTIN J RIF.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

3 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Yes. Great lack of detail on CWGC, but his soldier's effects lists a brother Samuel & sisters Lily & Edith.

PORTADOWN Rural in 1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Portadown_Rural/Ballyoran/1028487/

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Yes. Great lack of detail on CWGC, but his soldier's effects lists a brother Samuel & sisters Lily & Edith.

Aha - there's the connection!! Lillie from Water Street and the 1901 census.

Downside is so far no sign of Samuel or Edith....

Great bit of detective work here guys, it is all greatly appreciated!!!

So pleased we’ve been able to identify him and piece his story together. All the evidence seems to fit together nicely doesn’t it! 

Edited by Laird of Camster