Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers

fitz_merc

24 minutes ago, fitz_merc said:

I can follow the logic of running out of space but not with dividing up names of Regt soldiers who trained, fought together and died together on the same day. 

I/CWGC seem to have had to decide upon that c.100 years ago.

Certainly later discoveries could not be added to some filled memorials so, in the absence of an addenda panel or similar, those often seem to have gone elsewhere.

Clearly a topic that could be worthy of discussion!

M

I have always assumed that there was some admin error due to the 2nd RDF moving to the Ypres sector after the close of the Somme. Menin Gate:

dsc_2827-17307754453313185261-1 2.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

If all names were on the Menin gate then I could understand the clerical error but not when the list is divided alphabetically 

2 hours ago, fitz_merc said:

I dont suppose there is any trace of the Poperinghe hospital today?

Casualty Clearing Stations were pop up mobile hospitals - thing a Great War equivalent of MASH - that could stay in one place for months and then rapidly relocate as required. So almost certainly no trace now. However the War Diary is available, so you may be able to place it from the details there. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/486dfb89cf9843b7af84587999fe1ff4

Cheers,
Peter

11 hours ago, fitz_merc said:

If all names were on the Menin gate then I could understand the clerical error but not when the list is divided alphabetically 

Looking at where in the list the names are divided memorial wise, I can envisage them being typed over 2 pages. The second page may have been mis-sorted?

Add in the move of the 2nd RDF from the Somme to Ypres sectors and the confusion is plausible.

here is a clearer map the 2nd royal dublin fusiliers were in a trench burnaby-foggy square 4 to andrews post square 5

trevor

download (3).png

That is much clearer- thank you

Is it possible to lay modern roads onto it?

1 minute ago, fitz_merc said:

That is much clearer- thank you

Is it possible to lay modern roads onto it?

Possibly one for our maestro @WhiteStarLine ?

M

Perfection- thank you

If I cannot locate the area I need to be shot at dawn

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone. Im the great grandson of Thomas O'Neill,  I started doing my family tree recently as I just turned 40 and Im the last of my family. I had no expectation of ever being able to find any information out past my grandparent. I also had no idea my great grandfather was in the war, I have since found out both of my grandfathers died in Flanders and were in the same regiment.

I wanted to say a huge thank you for all this information,  its blown me a way a bit, especially the fact that I can put a photograph to the face and can continue the tree back even further.

Thanks 

Jay Plunkett 

Edited by JayPlunkett84
not accurate

• DavidOwen locked and unlocked this topic