Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Grave Concentration Map Refs - Which series and date were used ??

MERLINV12

8 minutes ago, MERLINV12 said:

Please see attached image of what I am led to believe is his Soldiers Effects record (sorry resolution is bad), which IF this is correct doesn't agree with your amount of gratuity.

NEWBURYSE.jpg.4d7929cc1859f2730a957f2631e5feb4.jpg

To me it looks like the same man - but his £6 War Gratuity [in red ink lower entry of Incl War Grat £6-] is included in his total estate of £9-10-11and paid out at the same time [rather then being entered & paid separately]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add/clarify [I hope!]

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

To me it looks like the same man - but his £6 War Gratuity [in red ink lower entry of Incl War Grat £6-] is included in his total estate of £9-10-11and paid out at the same time [rather then being entered & paid separately]

M

Another "senior moment", missed that completely :rolleyes:, my excuse is the bad resolution :D

The original IWGC cemetery list notes Holnon Wood, Marteville 62c.X.11.c.2.9, this cemetery was approx. 900 yards west of the grave location at X.12.a.3.4. - note that these coordinates give a 50 x 50 yard area. None of the graves noted on the CoG-BR were registered as indicated by 'no cross' and all remains appear to have been identified by their discs. As Jan mentions above they may have been buried in haste by the Germans and no record kept. These graves were concentrated to the newly created Holnon British Cemetery which is today named Chapelle British Cemetery, Holnon, it may appear the former name was short lived.

62cX12a34.jpg.cfb9e20124b374d55e47d70da60050fe.jpg

(Google earth view around 20 yards west from the spot marked by Bill, the same track being visable to right middle edge of above image. Its certainly worth a knock on the nearest farm door regarding access to the location.)

Edited by jay dubaya
added text

Jay,

Thanks for your efforts and post, earlier today I emailed the Holnon Mairie to ask them to provide the landowners details (I have had great success using this method before), so will see what response I get.

Only planning to be in the area for 1 day, going to visit spot where he was killed, the temp burial site, and The CWGC cemetery, so tried my method, rather than door knocking which could take some time especially when you don't speak the language :rolleyes:.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Further to my last post, already had a reply from the Mayor of Holnon, who knows the landowner personally, and the Mayor will  take us to the site himself :D:D.

Edited by MERLINV12

Michael, that is a wonderful gesture by the mayor and will make the visit even more memorable for you.

Great result and I must admit that your approach is indeed the best for those visiting, it saves a lot of time and effort and includes locals from the start. Really not sure why I didn’t think of it myself. Hope your visit is a fruitful one.

If you need details on the 2nd Bedfordshires during this action, I can help. Just spent months compiling it, so drop me a line if needed.

23 hours ago, steve fuller said:

If you need details on the 2nd Bedfordshires during this action, I can help. Just spent months compiling it, so drop me a line if needed.

PM incoming :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Just a quick report on the visits to where Harry Newbury was killed, temporarily buried, and his final resting place.

I must firstly say a big THANK YOU to all those who contributed to this thread and helped make the trip possible. Bill (WhiteStarLine), Jay (Jay Dubaya) and everyone else.

Having written to the mayor of Savy giving him an aerial photo of the area of interest, he kindly forwarded my email to the owner of the field where Harry was killed. The owner Vincent, readily agreed to allow us access to his field, and showed more than a passing interest in Harry’s story.

We arranged to meet at his home at 11am, and we all went to the field and found the spot (GPS), and Harry’s Great Niece laid some flowers, understandably she was a little emotional, but those weren’t tears in my eyes, it was the wind making them water !

After a quiet moment we drove back to the farmhouse, expecting to express our thanks, and be on our way to Holnon Wood. However, Vincent’s wife Dominique, had prepared a lunch for us all, and the short visit turned into a two-hour lunch which with the aid of Google Translate on both sides went well.

As we were about to leave, both Vincent & Dominique expressed they’re thanks to England for the sacrifices the country had made to help France, and requested a photo of Harry, so they could remember him.

Having written to the Mayor of Holnon (Florent), yet again asking if he could tell me who owned the field where Harry was temporarily buried by the Germans, he replied and said he had asked the owner and we had permission, and he in fact would accompany us to the spot, and we were to meet at the Mairie at 2pm. We duly arrived to an enthusiastic welcome, and the church bells were rung in our honour !!  We drove to the outskirts of Holnon Wood, and walked to the spot where he had been buried, the area just outside the wood has been set aside and is a meadow with wild flowers, I didn’t need the GPS this time, it was obvious from the crop marks and noticeably different plant growth where the spot was (confirmed by GPS). Once again flowers we laid and respects paid.

On return to the Mairie to drop off Florent, we were yet again surprised by being presented with bottles of Champagne and Wine, and souvenirs of Holnon.

We then moved just around the corner to Chapelle British Cemetery, were he now lays.

Those of you that are seasoned veterans at all this, may have experienced this type of reception before, but to us novices it was a totally unexpected and humbling experience.

Sorry, I had said a quick report, but it has turned into a bit of a ramble.

Monicaatburialspot.jpg.4fedf18d5f54468a901015a56c889afd.jpg

HARRYHOLNONGRAVE2023small.jpg.3172d28df2b24317b0ff54f985c4d006.jpg

MONICAATGRAVE2023small.jpg.bd1e6e7e0b7eb26c6fd84bbf1ca5a61d.jpg

Edited by MERLINV12

A very touching account and thanks for getting back to everyone.

Cheers, Bill

4 hours ago, MERLINV12 said:

Just a quick report on the visits to where Harry Newbury was killed, temporarily buried, and his final resting place.

Thank you - really good that due respects could be paid :poppy: [and with great local help there too :)]

M

Unsure if it's any help to Harry's relative, but the first day's story is covered here now - it's all timelined so she can jump to the part(s) of interest. 

1 hour ago, steve fuller said:

the first day's story is covered

Wonderful video Steve, very clear explanations and most helpful.

On 26/09/2023 at 14:09, WhiteStarLine said:

Wonderful video Steve, very clear explanations and most helpful.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Not for everyone I know but its not supposed to be typically dramatic YouTuber content, so that's OK :)