Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.O.W.s HMS Nomad

per ardua per mare per terram

• 4 years later...

Hi all.

I have just joined this forum. My great uncle was a stoker on Nomad. He was among the rescued and taken to Brandenburg along with the other survivors. Unfortunately he did not survive the war and was shot while at the POW camp. He was the only Nomad survivor of the Jutland battle who did not come home, as far as I'm aware. His name was Michael John Murphy. I wondered if anyone could shed light on why he was shot? All I have managed to glean was that he attacked a German guard. I would be grateful for any information. Thanks 

Jan

• 3 years later...

@Jan I don't know if you are still looking but I came across this report of Murphy's shooting.

It was part of a long interview in the Weekly Despatch 28/7/1918 by AE Amey, another Nomad crew member. He himself was tried for striking a guard and he mentions a variety of other names ( including Gibbs, Benson and Stone) as well as describing in detail the sufferings of the prisoners.

Weekly_Dispatch_London_28_July_1918_0005_Clip.jpg.7dbdb91fb13dee0bc3ee2a4130c42cfa.jpg

Courtesy Findmypast newspapers 

Edited by charlie962

13 hours ago, Jan said:

Where did you find that copy of Weekly Dispatch, please?

Findmypast newspapers (also British Newspaper Archive, which is Findmypast owned)