Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.O.W.s HMS Nomad

per ardua per mare per terram

Hi Pals

Are there any details for what happened to the ratings prisoners of war for HMS Nomad and where they ended up after the Battle of Jutland, please?

Fred

Hi Fred

I had a quick look on the POW database on the main site and there are a few men from HMS Nomad listed. Three have their camps mentioned, in all three cases it was Brandenburg. They are as follows:

AB Hurley

PO Sugden

Stoker PO Vermer

The description of Brandenburg from the Pope-Hennessey book on POW camps is as follows:

A town (pop. 53 500) on the Havel, thirty eight miles w.s.w. of Berlin. The camp consists of an abandoned terra-cotta factory. Prisoners here are naval and mercantile marine. 3rd Arny Corps.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the helps, not a lot of detail for other ranks POWs then.

• 5 years later...

Hi Fred

I had a quick look on the POW database on the main site and there are a few men from HMS Nomad listed. Three have their camps mentioned, in all three cases it was Brandenburg. They are as follows:

AB Hurley

PO Sugden

Stoker PO Vermer

The description of Brandenburg from the Pope-Hennessey book on POW camps is as follows:

A town (pop. 53 500) on the Havel, thirty eight miles w.s.w. of Berlin. The camp consists of an abandoned terra-cotta factory. Prisoners here are naval and mercantile marine. 3rd Arny Corps.

Regards

Steve

My great-grandfather is the AB Hurley you mention: Herbert Henry Hurley, AB, who served on the HMS Nomad in The Battle of Jutland. I have a letter from him while he was a POW, if anyone is interested. I know his POW camp was in Brandenburg. Can anyone narrow it down? Thank you.

Jill Hurley

norwegian16@hotmail.com

Hi Jill.

That letter must be a bit of a family treasure. Hopefully someone can help you with the exact location of the Brandenburg POW camp.

Here is the full list of officers and men from HMS Nomad who were taken prisoner, according to The Times. There were 73 prisoners in total from the Nomad, 5 officers and 68 men.

OFFICERS (pub. The Times 12 June 1916, except Bellingham - 26 June 1916)

Lieutenant-Commander Paul WHITFIELD, R.N. (slightly wounded)

Lieutenant William Goodenough HALLILEY, R.N.

Sub-Lieutenant David WAINWRIGHT, R.N.

Surgeon Probationer David J. T. OSWALD, R.N.V.R.

Gunner James Ernest BELLINGHAM, R.N.

MEN (pub. The Times 24 June 1916)

AMEY, Alfred Edward, J.11760 (Dev.) *

AMORY, Robert Edward, S.S.3308 (Po.)

ANDREWS, Charles, K.23931 (Dev.)

APPLEBY, Joseph, J.18492 (Po.)

AXTELL, Sidney, J.15894 (Po.)

BALDOCK, Christian Edward, J.15084 (Po.)

BALL, Alfred Sidney, K.23027 (Dev.)

BALL, Ambrose William, K.23001 (Dev.)

BELLMAN, Arthur Stewart, M.11287 (Dev.)

BENSON, Charles, J.41771 (Po.)

BETTS, Frederick, 268254 (Dev.)

BETTS, William Victor, J.9457 (Po.)

BLANCHARD, William Charles, 178219 (Po.)

BOWLER, Percy, J.27482 (Po.)

BYRNE, James Augustine Daniel, J.17021 (Dev.)

CARR, Alfred, 204047 (Ch.)

DERBYSHIRE, John, K.9473 (Dev.)

DICKSON, Thomas Corson, 272274 (Po.)

FINN, Patrick Joseph, 283046 (Dev.)

FOSBURY, Charles, 191059 (Po.)

GIBBS, Reginald William, J.18277 (Po.)

GILBERT, Frederick Charles, S.S.112211 (Ch.)

GILLARD, Anthony, S.S.5513 (Po.)

HADFIELD, Edgar, J.49085 (Dev.)

HENRY, Matthew, K.6235 (Dev.)

HOLT, William, 210480 (Dev.)

HOWELL, Roland, 229106 (Po.)

HURLEY, Herbert Henry, S.S.4541 (Po.)

KNIGHT, Albert Henry, 218121 (Po.)

KNOWLES, Alfred Septimas, S.S.3428 (Po.)

LAUNDY, Edward Alfred, J.11254 (Po.)

LAWRENCE, William Frost, 229515 (Po.)

LILLIS, Ernest William Stephen, 204657 (Dev.)

LOCK, William, 286243 (Po.)

McCARTHY, Daniel, J.1868 (Dev.)

MALLETT, Albert Sydney, J.3768 (Po.)

MILES, Henry Thomas, 296443 (Po.)

MOTHERSOLE, Leonard, K.2281 (Dev.)

MURPHY, Michael, 211638 (Dev.)

MURPHY, Michael John, K.23371 (Dev.)

NAGLE, Robert Patrick, 201528 (Dev.)

NEWBLE, Albert, 230461 (Po.)

O'FLAHERTY, John, S.S.5658 (Dev.)

OLIVER, Albert Edward, M.173 (Po.)

O'LOUGHLIN, Michael, 233099 (Po.)

PANKHURST, George, 229356 (Po.)

PEARCE, John William, K.10898 (Po.)

PERCY, Sydney Herbert, 213971 (Dev.)

PRITCHARD, Ernest, L.7346 (Po.)

PRITCHARD, Thomas William, K.18961 (Ch.)

PRITCHARD, William Edward, L.1364 (Po.)

PUGH, William Arthur, 218596 (Po.)

REES, Christopher, 286023 (Dev.) *

RETALLICK, Edward, 283071 (Dev.)

SCHOFIELD, Thomas, S.S.106819 (Po.)

SMITH, Joseph, 225468 (Dev.)

STONE, Robert James, 220136 (Dev.)

SUGDEN, Robert, K.11668 (Dev.)

TAYLOR, Bertie, J.17428 (Po.)

TURNER, Alfred Hubert, J.534 (Po.)

TUTTY, William Henry, J.7526 (Po.)

VERNOR, Robert Joseph, 303949 (Dev.)

WALKER, James Herbert, S.S.3176 (Po.)

WALLACE, William, S.S.105995 (Po.)

WATERMAN, William John, S.S.3845 (Ch.)

WATSON, George William, J.42922 (Po.)

WILLIAMS, Ernest, 192640 (Ch.)

WILTON, Edwin John, 304347 (Dev.)

Note: * = wounded

If anyone is interested, a list names of prisoners from HMS Nestor was published at the same time.

regards,

Martin

Hi Jill.

That letter must be a bit of a family treasure. Hopefully someone can help you with the exact location of the Brandenburg POW camp.

Here is the full list of officers and men from HMS Nomad who were taken prisoner, according to The Times. There were 73 prisoners in total from the Nomad, 5 officers and 68 men.

If anyone is interested, a list names of prisoners from HMS Nestor was published at the same time.

regards,

Martin

Martin,

Thank you so much! There he is: Herbert Henry Hurley! I assume the (Po.) next to his name means Petty Officer? Is that correct? The records I have show him as an A.B. (Able Seaman). Is Petty Officer any different than Able Seaman?

Yes, it is great to have his letter. Another family member has the original copy. I have a photo copy, but I managed to transcribe it. There are some things he mentions that I don't understand. Below is his letter. I must point out that I tried to type the letter exactly as he wrote it, and he did not have very good grammar. Ha ha. (The writing in italics at the top are just notes to myself so I know what certain things stand for.)

Brandenburg, 13, ‘1094’ R. N. = Royal Navy

Gefangenenlager = prison camp

Geprüft = Examined

F.A. = time expired

A.B. = Able Seaman

A. H. = an der Havel (as in Brandenburg an der Havel)

STAMP:

Gefangenenlager 1 Oct 1916

?? Brandenburg a/H Herbert H. Hurley, A B

Geprüft F. A. British R.N. Prisoner of War

H.M.S. Nomad

Gefangenenlager

Brandenburg A H

Germany

My Dear Mother,

Just a few lines in answer to your most kind and welcome letters and parcels which I have received quite safe / and thanking you all very much / Hoping you and all at home are in the Pink (?) as it leaves me as well as can be expected. Well Mother, I am glad to tell you I am

getting good bread from the Navy League so you need not send anymore bread / Send anything in tins that’s eatable because it will keep and always put the butter in a jar or something / I am glad to say I have received everything you and Pam/Pem/Pom (?) have sent for we have to rely on food we get from home to keep up but I must thank you one and all and I shan’t forget you when I get the chance to come home. Dear Mother, I suppose you all know it is my birthday on the 22nd of November / I am

21 so I will advise you all not to send any cards because I don’t think I shall get them but you can ask Dick if he would mind sending me a ? / Also tell Beat (?) not to send any cards. Well Mother, I think I will now close kindly / Remember me ? ? all at Worcester also Pam (?) all at home / Lottie and Kate I remain yours ever.

Son Herbert to Mother and all. Best Luck.

P.S. Well Mother I have got plenty of company so will you send me a box of Keatings Powder.

Lottie was his sister, but I do not know any of the other people (beside his mother, Fanny Elizabeth George-Hurley). He had five other siblings: Emily Maud, Ivy May, Alfred George, Sidney, & Norah.

I attached pages 2 & 3 of his letter in case someone can make out what he wrote where I put ?. (Attaching all 3 pages was too large, but I can happily give you page 1, if you want it.) I don't know if that helps at all, but I appreciate your response very much.

When you wrote that the list was published in The Times, is that the London Times?

--Jill

post-58541-020453900 1284388973.jpg

Page 1 of Herbert Henry Hurley's letter from the Brandenburg P.O.W. camp. (Notice on pages 2 & 3 that 3 comes first, then 2. I assume the note was originally folded, thus making the arrangement out of order.)

--Jill

post-58541-091790300 1284389610.jpg

Hi Jill.

Thanks for posting the letter.

Thank you so much! There he is: Herbert Henry Hurley! I assume the (Po.) next to his name means Petty Officer? Is that correct? The records I have show him as an A.B. (Able Seaman). Is Petty Officer any different than Able Seaman?

No, the Po and Dev are the sailors' home ports, i.e. Portsmouth and Devonport. It didn't have their ranks, unfortunately. But the service records would provide that - I've linked each sailor's service record to their name. They can be downloaded from the National Archives as a PDF file for £3.50. I assume you already have Herbert's?

When you wrote that the list was published in The Times, is that the London Times?

Yes, The Times newspaper. Once you've posted, I think, 10 messages, you can then send and receive PMs (private messages) on this forum. I can then send you a copy of the original article for your records.

regards,

Martin

Hi Jill.

Thanks for posting the letter.

No, the Po and Dev are the sailors' home ports, i.e. Portsmouth and Devonport. It didn't have their ranks, unfortunately. But the service records would provide that - I've linked each sailor's service record to their name. They can be downloaded from the National Archives as a PDF file for £3.50. I assume you already have Herbert's?

Yes, The Times newspaper. Once you've posted, I think, 10 messages, you can then send and receive PMs (private messages) on this forum. I can then send you a copy of the original article for your records.

regards,

Martin

Martin,

That's interesting. I didn't know that Herbert's home port was Portsmouth. Yes, I do have his UK National Archive Record. Okay. It might be 5 posts, but you probably know better than I do. You can e-mail me at norwegian16@hotmail.com, if you'd like.

Thanks again,

Jill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

here's a little bit of information from the German side, an transcript from some files held at the german Archives at Freiburg.

The survivors of NOMAD were rescued from 3 Torpedoboats (G 9, G 10 and G 11) of the german V. T-Boot-Flottille.

Leader of V. Flottille was G 11 (Korvettenkapitän Heinecke), his diary states:

19.10h „Z halb“ Zwischen den beiden Linien sackt ein moderner englischer Zerstörer anscheinend havariert achteraus.

--> between the two lines an modern english destroyer slides astern, apparently stricken

19.17h Zerstörer erhält schweren Treffer

--> destroyer receives heavy hit

19.25h Befehl vom Flottenflaggschiff: „zu feindlichem kleinen Kreuzer gehen“ Signal an Flottille: „Nicht folgen“ und mit G 9, G 10 zu dem Zerstörer hingedampft

--> order from flagship: "go to enemy cruiser". Signal to Flotilla: "Don't follow" and with G 9 and G 10 gone to the destroyer

19.35h Währenddessen sinkt und kentert dieser. Von der Besatzung gerettet

G 11: - Offz., 1 Uffz., 28 Mann

G 9: 3 Offz., 1 Uffz., 15 Mann

G 10: 1 Offz., 1 Uffz., 23 Mann

Gefangene werden sofort getrennt verhört. Aussagen: Zerstörer „Nomad“, 1900 t, Besatzung 85 Mann, darunter 3 Offiziere und 1 Arzt.

--> Meanwhile the destroyer sinks and capsizes. Rescued from the crew

by G 11 = 1 NCO, 28 ratings

by G 9 = 3 officers, 1 NCO, 15 ratings

by G 10 = 1 officer, 1 NCO, 23 ratings

Prisoners immediately were interrogated separately. Statements: Destroyer NOMAD, 1900 tons, 85 crew, of which 3 officers and 1 doctor

19.52h Zu IV. A.G. gegangen, um Arzt gebeten.

--> Gone to IV. Aufklärungsgruppe (Reconnaissance-Group), requested doctor

20.15h Wegen Gefechtslage Anbordnahme Arzt unmöglich, zu II. Geschwader gegangen.

--> because of ongoing fights impossible to take over doctor, gone to II. Geschwader (Squadron)

09.13h auf Antrag von „Ostfriesland“ entlassen zur Ausschiffung von schwer verwundeten Gefangenen. Mit 21 sm eingelaufen

--> on request of OSTFRIESLAND (battleship) released to disembark the heavily injured prisoners. Entered with 21 miles.

15.00h Gazellenbrücke festgemacht. Verwundete an Festungslazarett, Kriegsgefangene an Matr.Artl.Abt. abgegeben, die von der Kommandantur dazu beauftragt war.

--> made fast to Gazellenbrücke (that's in Wilhelmshaven). Handed over wounded to the fortress hospital and prisoners to Matrosen-Artillerie-Abteilung (Sailors Artillery Brigade or so), which was ordered to do so by the garrison headquaters.

one of the other boats was G 9 (Kapitänleutnant xxxstütz - can't read <_< ), her diary states:

19.20h-19.55h G 9 nimmt Kommandant, 1 Offizier, 1 Arzt, 1 Deckoffizier und 15 Mann von dem Zerstörer „Nomad“ an Bord. Kommandant und 1 Mann schwer verwundet

--> G 9 takes over Commander, 1 officer, 1 doctor, 1 deck officer and 15 ratings from destroyer NOMAD. Commander and 1 rating heavily wounded.

The third boat involved in the rescue work was G 10 (Oberleutnant zur See Hammann), her diary states:

19.35h An Bord: 1 Lieutenant, 1 Maschinist, 7 Unteroffiziere und 16 Mann von HMS „Nomad“

--> on board: 1 Lieutenant, 1 engineer, 7 NCO's and 16 ratings from HMS NOMAD

16.00h Gefangene abgegeben an G 86 zur Abgabe an Kommandantur (Schilling Reede)

--> Prisoners handed over to G 86 (an other torpedoboat) to hand over to the garrison headquarters at Schilling Reede (Schilling Roads off Wilhelmshaven)

That's all I can add from my side !

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thank-you for providing the details from the German side.

I can only add that the commander of G9 was Kapitanleutnant Hans Anschutz and

the commander of G10 was Oblt z See Waldemar Haumann.

Respectfully,

Joe R

Great stuff Oliver, and many thanks for getting it for me / the Forum.

I am sure my `contact' RNA will be delighted with such info.

Hope you got all at Freiburg that you required.

Sadsac

... I can only add that the commander of G9 was Kapitanleutnant Hans Anschutz and

the commander of G10 was Oblt z See Waldemar Haumann. ...

Hi Joe,

thank you for the correction, the diaries are handwritten so sometimes it's difficult to made out an name...

Waldemar Haumann was the late commander of UB 94 in 1918 !

Oliver

• 3 years later...

A most interesting and informative thread here on the loss of HMS Nomad.

This Admiralty M class destroyer, and her sister Nestor, also lost at Jutland, have, as ships, long interested me.

However, i am interested in:-

Blanchard. William Charles.178219.

Born 1st September 1878, Portsea. Hampshire.

Should anyone have information on this individual, i will be delighted to hear from them.

I should stress i have no association to him or his family.

On #6 by Martin Elliget, alas, the links appear to no longer link.

I have not downloaded his service records. How and where does one do that.

• 1 year later...

My great-grandfather is the AB Hurley you mentioned: Herbert Henry Hurley (as I stated a while ago). I've never been able to find anything on where he was a POW other than Brandenburg. He sent a letter home from the POW camp, but even the stamp hasn't offered much assistance.

Is it currently an abandoned terra-cotta factory??

Jill Hurley

Hi Fred

AB Hurley
PO Sugden
Stoker PO Vermer

Regards

Steve

The camp was located in the disused brickworks of the F Körting company. It was located on the Quenzsee in the western outskirts of Brandenburg a. d. Havel.

To be more precise along the Magdeburgerlandstraße between the Quenzsee and the modernday sports stadium.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

• 3 months later...
Guest jonnyfromdonny

Hi All.

Im new to this forum. So sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Ive been trying to find a pic of HMS Nomad, but no luck so far.

Can anyone help or direct me to somewhere please.

cheers

john

Welcome here John, and your # 20 above

I can guarantee you, and everyone else, that no known images of Nomad or Nestor exist,

that can be seen in the public domain or official archives Worldwide.

It is doubtful any are held in private family collections, both ships were so short lived.

Many warships have gone unrecorded in photographs usually due to loss in action after brief careers,

or in the purge years 1915 - 1916 and 1940 - 1941.

There is a vid of the wreck. The opening shot may or may not be HMS Nomad. It might be of another ship of the same class.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jill.

regards,

Martin

Martin,

Yes please for the list of names of prisoners from HMS Nestor.

Best regards,

Trevor

Hi Trevor.

Here's the part of the article that mentioned the Nestor prisoners (The Times, 24 June 1916). I won't link to the service records this time (must've had a lot of free time in 2010).

regards,

Martin

post-29417-0-23126900-1455883165_thumb.j