Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Engineers war diaries

woronora

Hi

Can any our out NZ friends tell me if the war diaries for the NZ Engineers are available on line at Archives NZ and how I can access them?

Cheers

John

Some are. You go to Archives NZ and put "engineers" in the search box. This produced 510 results.

Thanks for the info. I have tried this function on numerous occasions and it always cones up with internal error. Very frustrating as I never had this problem in the past.

John

If you search "New Zealand war diary Engineers" and put date range under advanced search at 1914-1918 it narrows it to 362.  I'll have a play later to shorten this (work getting in the way....)  

Is there a specific period you are most interested in?

Andrew

what dates and unit were you after?

Hi evertone

Thanks for you help in this matter. I found out the reason why I can't access it on my computer is that Archives NZ seems to be blocked. No problems with my Ipad  I am looking for the war diaries for 1915 and 1916. I have diary accounts for 1915 and 1916 written by Charles Stevens. No.3 Field Engineers that I wish to confirm dates etc. The AWM has a copy of the 1915 NZE war diaries which are easily accessible.

I also have a collection of medal, photos and other material associated with Capt. Thomas Dollimore and RE member attached to the NZE and would like to write an account of his wartime experiences. The official history whilst useful is vague on dates. and personnel. It would be good to tarwl through the 1916-1919 diaries, as officers movements are generally recorded, at least int he AIF war diaries.

Cheers

John

Hi John

I only have them from April 1916 on, as my interest was in the Western front.

2nd NZE Apr 16 to Feb 1919

3rd NZE Apr 16 to Jan 1919

4th NZE Mar 17 to Aug 1917

NZE HQ Apr 17 to Sep 18

NZE Tunnellers Mar 16 to Jul 18

but you will see from these photos that the boxes (@NZ Archives) do have the 1915 files

I'll post a few examples so you can see the gist of what is recorded

If your statement "AWM" means Auckland War Memorial Museum and your in Auckland i am happy to put them all on a USB Stick for you to collect

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7351.JPG

Edited by jacksdad

Lt Dollimore is recorded here in the 2 NZE

on 7th April

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

Edited by jacksdad

Dollimore again and seems to be part of #2 section 

IMG_7539.JPG

IMG_7542.JPG

Page 255 Column 1

NZEF Chronicles 25 July 1917_81.jpg

That's an incredible resource you have there, @jacksdad .... may I enquire if you are sitting on anything for the 1st Auckland Infantry Battalion ... or even better still, the 3rd Auckland Company ? 

Regards

Steve

Steve I can only find one on-line 1st Auckland at NZ Archives

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly

Thanks Andrew ... any chance you could share the link with me please ?

I've only ever turned up 2/Auckland and Auckland Mounted diaries whenever I've searched NZ Archives  ... maybe by google-fu skills are needing some sharpening ?

Thanks very muchly

Steve

I bow to your greater search skills, Andrew !!!!  I've been looking for these for years ... never found them !

Thats my weekend conveniently all sorted in advance. 

Have you read them yourself.

Thanks again, Andrew  

Steve

To be honest, I got lucky - it was just irritating me so I tried various combinations.  Under filter you can get to year by year - easier I've found.  I've not read these but I'm now downloading (!) - vg Brigade orders etc.  

Andrew

To my knowledge the 3rd Auckland company of 1st Auckland Battalion - company diary no longer exists.

But I do have the 1st Auckland Battalion diaries from March 1916 through to Nov 1918.

but it looks like you may have that sorted if they are now online.

I'd recommend that you also get the 1st Auckland Headquarters diaries as they generally have the maps and a better overview of different postions and action.

47 minutes ago, aconnolly said:

how do you get the archive website to work, no matter what i do i just get this?

image.png.75e647b017a89b2f70797b1d7a87cb11.png

Steve

If your related to George McLaren I have a copy of his diary dated 1916 - the one held at ATL

I can send it to you if you don't have it

Roger

Here for, your reference, is an example of headquarters diary. 

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Jack's Dad - it definitely works for me!  Very odd!!  

If you keep having trouble pm me as I've downloaded them all and I live in Auckland

Andrew

Thanks Roger.

Looks like Andrew @aconnollyhas sorted the 1st Battalion diaries out for me. I've searched the heck out of the Library for years, but they never came to the surface for me. So happy I can see them now.

I would LOVE to find the 3rd Company diaries one day ... my guess is that they'll be in a box somewhere in the basement (hopefully). I live in Australia but if I lived in NZ ... I'd go searching. 

Yes, George is my Grandfather. Thanks for the offer of the diaries, but I have already transcribed 3 them (the only person to do so I think - took me ages). I have them and his letters home that I am now combining into a consolidated narrative. What I am also doing is trying to add other 3rd Company diaries where they make sense, to complete George's story. 

If you or anyone can recommend any 3rd Company / 1st Battalion diaries or books to read ... I'd appreciate it. Books that were helpful were Ghosts of ANZAC, Odyssey of the Unknown ANZAC.

Diaries Ive come across include George Hulme (5/258) Somme diary (Georges best mate - amazing read) , Lt J.D. McCornish (12/2410) Georges platoon Lt on Gallipoli, Sgt Frank Ezekiel McKenzie (12/190), Lt Fitchett (13/329), Sgt G.G.M. Mitchell (12/2392) Gallipoli Letters etc ..... 

Regards

Steve

Edited by smclaren

Hi Steve

I have a few diaries or letter or copies of the ones at AWMM and the ATL

but I don't know whether they are 3comp/1NZIB though, but if i list out the names you will be able to search them up and then if you want you can PM me the ones you'd like.

Auckland War Museum docs

W R Ahier Diary, Alexander Charles Stewart Ltrs, Charles Frederick Alison, Albert Boosfield Ltrs, Martin G Brown 26786 Diary + Ltrs, Hugh R Clark ltrs, Henry Delamere Dansey Ltrs, Arthur Edward Dendy - Memoir, Egbert Vivian Dredge diary, James Dunsmuir Diary, Harry Fred Hall 12/3343 Diary, Thomas Rueben Harding - Diary, Henry Herbert gill Ltrs. Owen Geo Jarrett - diary, Harry William Keesing diary, J Mcguire memoir, E W Newton And Albert James - Diary. Henry Thomas Norton - ltrs, Frederick Henry Ower - Diary. Robert Scott - diary. 

Couple that i have personally

J R Fraser ltrs & memoir, Tom Francis Keightley 44292 ltrs, Frank Keightley 24/1406 ltrs, Jack Keightley 59660 & Harry Keightley 13336 ltrs, James Spencer white - Diary.

Ill do the ATL diaries later as I've run out of time today.

Edited by jacksdad

Actually, ill just list the file names of the ones i have copied from the Alexander Turnbull Library collection, you will be able to search them up and the details, then i dont have to open every file and open the photos to find the names

ATL 

image.png.491fe893a67c0ed3d47d7da2522ce083.png

image.png.3a9a6647a53707dce3203a086921c2b3.png

image.png.55e31dc540a248b18bb4a056cb7ee942.png

image.png.9eeff0333889a23a2d46c54bc0dce040.png

image.png.cba90dbb713d7f82d354c31eb6a9a8a7.png

image.png.9b8620e783ad7ed652b67f47fa544619.png