Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform and or medals, please?

albert arnold

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Albert,

I hope that I got them all, but it might be worth double checking. The December 1919 list which I used is available here. You can download the document by using the 'Colour composite text file(pdf)' option. Once saved on your computer, in my copy, the Royal Scots starts on p541/2866. At the start of the relevant section, I used "M.M." in the dialog box of 'Find on page'. I didn't, but I guess that you could cross check the results against another list.

Regards
Chris

Many thanks again Chris, and for the links too, which I shall explore. None of the names are jumping off the page at me, although Young is of family interest, and there are two of those. But I shall dig further. I'll post something if/when I make any progress! Albert

2 hours ago, caladonia said:

I've adjusted the contrast and levels of this photo, and the officer seems to have a dark coloured rectangle patch on his left sleeve, this type of parch was worn by a couple of Batts of the Royal Scots, the 13th stands out as adopting the patch late  in the war, and perhaps be a good place for a officer promoted from the ranks?

Great detective work, William. Thanks for looking at it so carefully. I wonder if any other members have experience of these patches. But I spotted "wrong info" at the bottom of your post, or was that just a slip? Best, Albert

Hello albert arnold

I edited my post after correcting the position of the patch.

An alternative Batt could be the 2nd, who wore Coy shaped patches, A Coy a square, they also wore a square tartan patch behind the cap badge.

William

21 minutes ago, caladonia said:

Hello albert arnold

I edited my post after correcting the position of the patch.

An alternative Batt could be the 2nd, who wore Coy shaped patches, A Coy a square, they also wore a square tartan patch behind the cap badge.

William

Excellent, thank you, I shall explore further, Albert

For the 9th Royal Scots officers with MM identified by clk…

W. Steel is probably William Pollock Steel. The only reference I have to the MM is in the War Diary. There was another William Steel commissioned from the ranks to RS then RAF.

James Boyes MM at Third Ypres, commissioned from the ranks to RS.

Unfortunately I do not have a photograph of either.

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

Hi Neill,

Thank you very much for this information - that's very helpful ...we're currently scouring our (Scottish) family history for possible names!

Best wishes Albert